Skagway - Rent a car or Train excursion??

big bro

Seeing the photo in post #14 reminded me that it can look like a totally different drive depending on how early or late in the season you go.

It it is well worth taking the drive again if you cruise earlier or later in the season than you did the last time.

For most of the summer, the scenery is green, as in the photo.

In May, it may still look like a winter wonderland with snow all around and the mountains glistening white.

We have driven it when the road was clear, but with snow covering the ground on both sides.

One day you may be wearing shorts and t-shirts on the cruise ship and the next day stopping at the Yukon sign to take photos of each other throwing snowballs.

In September the landscape looked entirely different again, in brilliant shades of orange, red and yellow.

If any of your passengers want to ride the train, I recommend doing it on the northbound leg out of Skagway because there is no time pressure doing it that way.

If you spot a bear, or anything else along the drive that catches your eye, in either direction, you can stop beside the road to watch it.

But if they want to ride the train southbound, then there is concern throughout the entire drive about needing to get back down to the Fraser train station in time to catch the train.

So if you spot a bear along your drive, you are stuck with needing to choose between stopping to watch the bear or catching the train.

This will be our first Alaska trip as well & we too are doing the Green Jeep Rental. There are 5 of us, 2 over 6" tall, so we splurged on the 5 passenger Jeep. We are looking forward to having the time to ourselves, we did buy tickets for the Carcross buffet, museum & husky camp but other than that, our time will be ours.

Do you get the tickets through Green Jeep for the buffet, museum and Husky camp?

Can I add some more info into this. When we reserved our car from Avis, that morning it was terribly overcast, foggy et al. (a usual thing for Alaska). We debated if it made any sense to rent the car and drive if the weather was that bad, would we be able to see anything. Where the train went was completely engulfed in clouds and anyone on that morning train, didn't see anything but fog out any window. But the people in Alaska, especially the people in Skagway are so great and helpful. We went into the tourist office (or it might have been a ranger station) and asked them how hey felt the day would be and the drive to emerald lake. They turned on the computer and brought up cameras that that they had on the mountain and into the pass going to emerald Lake and those shots came up nice, with minimal clouds and fog. They even called another station along the way and reported that the weather was fine and the forecast was for the sun to break free. So we rented the car and were off. Skagway is situated in the valley between the mountains and once out of the valley, we had clear sailing the rest of the way. Sure many of the mountains still had that clouds on the top, but it made for some great pixs, but overall the weather was great the entire trip.

with a car, you DO have the option of not going if the weather is terrible, but once you book that train, you go if you can see anything or not.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain407.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain415.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain446-1.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain452.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain397-1.jpg

Cheers

Len

Do you get the tickets through Green Jeep for the buffet, museum and Husky camp?

I bought them online. I googled Caribou Crossing and found

www dot cariboucrossing dot ca

Click "activities"

Then "join us for lunch"

Then "reserve" under Hitching Post BBQ & Husky Village

Then at the top of the page put in your travel date & how many guests. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Is green jeep better? And why?

Avis is $119 when we go. Green Jeep is $160.

What's the diff. Other than they meet you at the ship?

Several reasons. I prefer a four wheel drive in case the roads aren't good and my brother in law and sister in law are both tall so the two door jeep will work nice. And since we will be splitting the cost with them, it will only cost us $80. Also, I just really liked the reviews I read on the boards about them.

We did this drive last year. Rented thru Green Jeep and had Murrays Guide. LOVED going at our own pace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Planning on getting Murray's guide. Do his directions start in Skagway heading north?

Yes. He uses the mile markers as guides. There was a good bit of road construction last year, with some parts unpaved. Nothing that couldn't be driven on in a car, just sections that were like a really well maintained dirt road. I was glad we left first thing and toured Skagway in the afternoon.

Last year we hired Howard Mallory to take us up to Emerald Lake. http://www.alcanexcursions.com

He picked us up right at the dock and we got out ahead of the tour buses. He is a retired highway engineer for the state of Alaska and is very knowledgeable about the area. He will stop at all the good spots, and whenever you ask him to.

On the return he took us up above Skagway (Dyea Rd, I think), and there was an overlook down to the town and the ship. Once back in Skagway he offered to drop us off in town so we could shop and walk back to the ship, or to drop us at the ship.

A little pricey for just the two of us, but you may be able to find a couple of folks on your roll call to share the ride and the expense.

Enjoy your cruise!

OP In years past there has be discussions that lead to concluding that Canadian citizens could not rent US plated cars to drive to Canada because of some fine print in the laws. You may want to check that out.

Sightcrr

As of June 2012, it is ok for Canadians to drive a rental into Canada.

More details are at this website.http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/rental-cars/#.Uy97CLK9KSM

Several reasons. I prefer a four wheel drive in case the roads aren't good and my brother in law and sister in law are both tall so the two door jeep will work nice. And since we will be splitting the cost with them, it will only cost us $80. Also, I just really liked the reviews I read on the boards about them.

I see you are going in early August. There won't be snow then, and the roads are fine. You won't need 4 wheel drive anywhere.

We have not rented a jeep in years, so the new ones may be more comfortable than the ones we rented in the past.

The last time we rented a jeep, it was bouncy, jarring and uncomfortabe riding around in it compared to a regular car, especially for someone who has back problems.

It was fun for a short ride, but for a longer trip like the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back, we have been sticking with a regular passenger car or SUV or minivan for comfort, and also because 4-wheel drive is not needed for that trip.

We found the roads up there to be smoother and better maintained than our roads back home.

Maybe someone who has rented a jeep in Skagway recently can comment on the comfort level of the jeeps they use these days.

If they now have decent shock absorbers and comfortable seats, we might be tempted to give a jeep another try. :)

We have not rented a jeep in years, so the new ones may be more comfortable than the ones we rented in the past.

The last time we rented a jeep, it was bouncy, jarring and uncomfortabe riding around in it compared to a regular car, especially for someone who has back problems.

It was fun for a short ride, but for a longer trip like the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back, we have been sticking with a regular passenger car or SUV or minivan for comfort, and also because 4-wheel drive is not needed for that trip.

We found the roads up there to be smoother and better maintained than our roads back home.

Maybe someone who has rented a jeep in Skagway recently can comment on the comfort level of the jeeps they use these days.

If they now have decent shock absorbers and comfortable seats, we might be tempted to give a jeep another try. :)

Ours was nice, but no where near as comfortable as a car. We got it more for the novelty than anything else. The road is good, so bumps were minimal.

hello marysb! This has nothing to do with current post - but I saw in prior post that you were on Celebrity Reflection Cabin 7286. I am booked in that cabin and was wondering if you liked that cabin. Also, is bed by balcony or bathroom? Thanking you in advance for any info! sdf350

:D

It is entirely up to you, but from a personal perspective I always find the Y&WPR a fascinating experience. It is a railway that is steeped in history.

Someone has just lent us the DVD they bought when they went on this trip and it looks awesome! We are doing the train both ways. The trip still gives us time to have a wander around Skagway too. I can't wait!

We booked with a private tour company and did the train with an 18 passenger motorcoach rather than the big tour bus. It was a wonderful tour. We did the train up and came back on the coach, stopping at multiple points along the way. The driver of the motorcoach loved his job, and he told us so much history and local folklore on the trip. When someone spotted bears, the driver stopped and everyone got to see them. When someone needed something, the driver stopped at a small store on the route so they could get it. We stopped at the Yukon sign, the Alaska sign, and other places, and the driver used our cameras over and over again to take pictures of our total group. We had far more freedom than on the ship's big bus, but no one had to drive. I would do the same excursion again if back in the area.

Hello, First time Alaskan cruise for us. Is it better to rent a car and travel to whitehorse or Emerald Lake on our own or take the train / bus tour?? Thank you!

We rented a car and drove up to Emerald Lake. The day we went the weather was gorgeous. We stopped and explored the waterfalls along the side of the road and the views are amazing. I guess it really depends on what you want to see. Yes the experience of riding the train/bus is nice but I am so glad we rented the car. We were able to do things on our own & enjoy the whole region.

We are cruising on the NCL Sun and will be in Skagway on the 27th of June. We have booked a jeep with Alaska Green Jeep and plan to travel all the way to Emerald Lake. AGJ supplies either a two door or a four door jeep, an hour+ CD giving the history and lore of the area, maps, and a cooler with drinks and snacks. Like so many posters, we love to move at our own pace and are really looking forward to the drive.

In Carcross, is there other food to purchase (quick sandwiches, etc), or is the only option the buffet? Thx!

Jodie

Yes these are a few places. Spirit Lake Lodge has a restaurant- good pie. The Carcross gas station seems to change vendors at times, but, I've always had good food there.

In Carcross, is there other food to purchase (quick sandwiches, etc), or is the only option the buffet?

There are also several food vendors in downtown Carcross - a good-sized "bistro" with a big deck that got delayed by permits last year should be open this season. I quit going to the gas station cafe years ago - BQ has been lucky in never having bad food there.

There are also several food vendors in downtown Carcross - a good-sized "bistro" with a big deck that got delayed by permits last year should be open this season. I quit going to the gas station cafe years ago - BQ has been lucky in never having bad food there.

There have been vendor changes. :) But I seem to purchase the simple- easy prepared stuff. Fresh sandwiches that were fine.

In Carcross, is there other food to purchase (quick sandwiches, etc), or is the only option the buffet? Thx!
Someone on here recommended the new Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery in Carcross for soup and sandwiches.

They have a website with some photos at

http://www.chilkootbakery.com/

I have not yet tried it myself but made a note of it for the next time I get up that way as yet another option for avoiding the hordes of bus passengers at the Caribou Crossing buffet.

Edited by varoo

Everyone keeps mentioning going to Emerald Lake but when I look at the train excursion, it refers to the White Pass. Is this the same? Would we see the same going by train or renting a car/ jeep?

There are 6 in our party. Would 6 fit in a jeep or will we have to rent a mini van?

Anyone know what the cost for a van would be?

Thanks for any info.

Everyone keeps mentioning going to Emerald Lake but when I look at the train excursion, it refers to the White Pass. Is this the same? Would we see the same going by train or renting a car/ jeep?

There are 6 in our party. Would 6 fit in a jeep or will we have to rent a mini van?

Anyone know what the cost for a van would be?

The White Pass is 25 miles from Skagway, Emerald Lake is 75 miles. The views from the highway and train are different - both worth seeing, but to do that takes a train/bus excursion. Six people don't fit in a jeep, and even 4 are more comfortable in a normal vehicle. Vans are about $150.