Eating and drinking and the pitfalls in Rome?

Lane1344

Hi,

We are going to Rome for 3 night pre-cruise in August.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of prices for drinks like coffee etc and food like pizza and gelato. I have been told that Rome is expensive so I would like to make sure we are taking enough money.

Also I have read in another post about being charged a ridiculous amount for bread and utensils when sitting down at a table before even ordering. So any advice would be great on how to find out these charges beforehand and any other tips.

Thanks

Elaine

Like in any major city, prices for food and drink can vary widely in Rome. An example: a cup of espresso standing up at the bar of a small place near the metro: 85 euro cents. The cost of sitting and ordering a gran cafe at one of the fancy, well-known coffee bars near the tourist centers (e.g., Sant' Eustachio near the Pantheon) will likely run you more like 6-7 euro.

Same goes for food. Sitting down at a restaurant with a view of the Colosseum or Pantheon, for example, is likely to increase the cost of your meal substantially. Look for restaurants that are nearby but perhaps a little further from the main sites -- down a little street, etc. You can get panini (grilled sandwiches) and sometimes pizza by the etto (by weight) at some bars and salumeria, but you may have difficulty finding a place to sit and eat!

The "pane e coperto" (bread and cover) charge is not legal in Rome. But that only means that they can't charge you for it if you don't have it. Bread is usually not complimentary. If you don't want it, refuse it immediately when it is brought to the table and you should not be charged for it.

Most restaurants are not out to cheat you; you just have to understand the different rules. For example, Italians just do not drink tap water, despite it being very good and safe in Rome. They order a bottle of water, still or with gas, to go with their meal. And most restaurants are a la carte -- sides are not automatically served with the meal. There are some places that still offer a "fixed price" meal of 3 courses plus a glass of wine or other beverage, but this is less common than it once was.

You should never order a "special" without understanding the cost, and you should always be offered an official receipt for your meal.

Many restaurants take credit cards; so perhaps less worry about having cash. ATMs are also plentiful.

A small gelato (a cup with 2 flavors mixed) will run maybe 2-4 euro. Anything more is too much -- except perhaps at one of the really 'of the moment' artisan gelaterias!

Edited by cruisemom42

As always, Cruisemom42 has the spot-on information!

Another thing: just because a restaurant hands you a menu with 5 courses, you are not required to order one from each! Many times, I'll get an antipasti if one sounds good and then just the primi (the pasta) course, skipping the secundi (the "entree"), the contorni (the sides) and the dolci (the desserts). Or, I may get a primi and a contorni (I'm a sucker for Italian chicory - cicoria - done sautéed with some garlic and spices). I don't eat much red meat, so the secundi has to be something truly interesting for me to dive in. If I have a reservation at a special restaurant that I have heard good reviews of, I'll splurge and get maybe 4 courses and then waddle back to the hotel ;)

Listen carefully if your server has any specials - be sure to ask the price also.

Feel OK to order a carafe of the house red or white - I've had pleasantly nice wines that way, not spectacular, but good for the money. As I dine solo, I always get either the quarto (quarter carafe) or, if I'm in a really good mood, the mezzo (half carafe). The mezzo gives me more than enough to make me happy!

The best Italian breakfast is "un espresso e un cornetto" - an espresso and the Italian permutation of a croissant. You'll find this at any coffee bar in the AM. Just buy it and eat/drink standing up and feel like an Italian!!

Edited by slidergirl

Don't hesitate to split food. Seafood is often priced by the kilo...understand the price. If you order house red and the waiter recommends something else ask the price. If not, you may regret it. Never be afraid to ask the price.

We never eat on the main drag. If the menu is in five languages we pass. If all we can hear is English speakers we pass. We generally try to go a few blocks. away and preferably to a family run trattoria. Some of our best experiences were when we really were not sure what we we ordering.

Don't hesitate to split food. Seafood is often priced by the kilo...understand the price. If you order house red and the waiter recommends something else ask the price. If not, you may regret it. Never be afraid to ask the price.

We never eat on the main drag. If the menu is in five languages we pass. If all we can hear is English speakers we pass. We generally try to go a few blocks. away and preferably to a family run trattoria. Some of our best experiences were when we really were not sure what we we ordering.

I agree, always ask the price. You can pass on the cover charge bread, but it is often very nice and not usually that expensive. If you are just ordering a pizza then the bread seems a little unneccesary. If you have a salad or something with a deal of sauce, then the bread is nice.

I have to say that I have eaten pizza in the Piazza Navona and had pasta sitting right opposite the Pantheon and it was truly not expensive. I did check the menu before sitting down. I recall paying about 5 euro for the plate - we had the view, a rest for our tired feet and cooling mist to revive us.

I always avoid eating seafood that is sold by the kilo. Being sold by weight usually indicates to me that it is an expensive dish anyway. I avoid it at home and when travelling.

3 nights precruise - it will be hot but lucky lucky you.

Great advice from everyone, as ever...I second what had been mentioned thus far...eating off the main streets or piazzas, listen to the languages being spoken (listen for Italian - it's easy to translate menus with an app or small phrase book, pizza or pasta dishes tend to "read" the same!) and order what you want...antipasti, contorni, zuppa...whatever!

Also, prices of a city like Rome - I didn't find them terribly pricey but there are also restaurants for every price range, style of dining and a lot depends upon the prices one is accustomed to in cities...Rome is a major world city BUT, as in most cities of the world, travelers arrive from everywhere. There is always something at all price points and for every appetite. A meal usually never has to be expensive to be good, especially not in Italy where food is a way of life and so very important to people, to family and friends!

Also, I ate at a nice place outside for lunch one day in Rome - trying to think of about where I was - I think I was headed on foot to the Coliseum from where I was staying near the Via Veneto - and it was not expensive one bit. Just someplace I found along the way...it was great - I've just moved and all my travel journals are buried deep in my car or I'd look it up for you. I know you'll do fine :)

Ah....almost forgot...wine! If you don't want a bottle or half carafe or maybe want to try a different one than your significant other, you can order a "quartino" of wine - it's about what it sounds like, a quarter of a bottle...gives you about 1 1/2 glass of wine.

Edited by Host Bonjour

I agree that if the menu is in several languages, try somewhere else. And if they have photos of the food, or worse yet, plastic models of the food, :eek: run to somewhere else!

Often in a city bar or gelateria, you will see people paying for coffee or gelato first and then taking their receipt to the bar to be served. This is a good idea for preventing surprises in the amount charged. In touristy areas, it probably will commit you to drinking your coffee standing at the bar, or taking your gelato away with you, since sitting down outside can cost extra.

Thank you all so much for the advice and help.

I'm very excited to be going and it has made me even more so ( if that is possible haha)

I have been learning Italian for the last 10 mths using an app so hopefully I will be able to get by and at least order a coffee lol.

We spent several days pre and post cruise about a month. Our son is studying in Rome for the summer. He lives (and we stayed) in Trastevere, which has many reasonably priced options. We found the heat meant we were not always overly hungry so we would grab something to eat from a grocery store. Many have sandwiches/pizza at their "deli" with an oven to reheat for you. And go for the house wine . . .

My best advice is try some local dishes. I am constantly amazed by friends who go to Rome (or anywhere else in Italy) and eat nothing but spaghetti and generic pizza. Yes, of course try a Roman style pizza - but understand how it differs from Neapolitan pizza and don't just try it at places with frozen mass produced dough and sauces. As to pasta -- instead of spaghetti try cacio e Pepe or amatricana. And then there are the two versions of artichokes -- Jewish ( al Guido) or Roman. And of course the little grilled baby lamb chops -- abbachio al scottadito -- lamb that burns your fingertips).