Baltimore and Washington DC on the same trip?

William W

Hello everyone,

We are a family of 4 with two little one, age 7 and 2.

We will be driving from Ottawa, ON to Baltimore to catch a cruise on the Grandeur in August and would like your help and suggestion in planning for this trip.

I'm thinking of doing a side trip to Washington DC pre/post cruise. And would like advice for the following:

1. What is the best route to take driving to Baltimore, as this would be our first time doing an 8 hour road trip with the 2 boys?

2. Pre or post cruise to Washington? I would like to spend an entire day in Washington DC.

Since the cruise leave on Friday, if we are going to visit Washington DC, Pre-cruise, the plan is to drive down on Wednesday, spend an entire day in DC on Thursday, and arrive at port and park at the pier on Friday, and drive back to Canada the next Friday.

If we are going to DC post cruise, I would like to drive to Baltimore on Thursday, stay at the Best Western at Elkridge, take their cruise package rather than parking at the port. After the cruise, the plan is to spend the morning in Baltimore, and drive to DC in the afternoon and spend the rest of Friday and entire day Saturday there, before heading home to Canada on Sunday. Any suggestion as to where I should stay if I'm going this route? And if I were to Priceline or Hotwire for Washington DC, are there zones I should bid on or avoid?

Also, how difficult is it to get to the various museum and attractions in DC with public transit?

Any suggestion and advises would be welcome!

Let us think..but DC is easier and cheaper on weekends generally...

Super easy to use Metro and your feet to get around...

Let me think about this..and I am sure others will

chime in...

sent from my ellipsis..

IMO try booking direct. The area around National Airport is usually cheaper. Try Arlington or Alexandria ,Crystal City or Pentagon City those areas usually have decent weekend rates.

Some of the hotels near the White House also might have good rates; one place with low rates on weekends is usually the Grand Hyatt. Also you can try the Renaissance Mayflower that's very close to a metro stop. I would make a cancelable reservation first before trying to bid

sent from my ellipsis..

Edited by megr1125

Another favorite of mine is the Renaissance Arlington capital few hotels very nice as is the crystal gateway Marriott and even the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City sometimes their rates are pretty low on the weekend

sent from my ellipsis..

Link to the METRO in DC....buy a daily pass for around $14 if you'll be staying outside of the city in the Arlington/Crystal City/National Airport area.

This looks like the EASIEST route....haven't driven but the one time I did drive from NJ to Ottawa, by the time we realized that we should stop and look for a hotel we were like 30 miles from the border!! :D:D

Allow a good hour to get to the DC area....it's not that far, but there is almost always traffic.....

Most everything in DC is free. Know that the Smithsonian is MANY museums and they are for the most part, close to one another

Parking in DC is not cheap, so you may be able to find a hotel package that includes parking......

Remember, DC gets HOT in August....keep that in mind.....not sure of your dates since I have signatures shut off, but if you want to post the date you'd need a hotel in DC, we can look for you...

Since you want to explore Baltimore, I would for a hotel in the White Marsh area, or over by the airport, keeping in mind rates will be higher on a week day...and park at the pier so you don't have to wait for a shuttle and waste an hour....

You can stay anyplace between Baltimore and Washington. You might think of a place near BWI (wide range of hotels). From there you can take a MARC train (BWI station) to Union station in DC in about 40 minutes. You can also drive on I-95 to the Greenbelt Metro station and take the Metro in from there. I live half way between Baltimore and Washington and do day trips to DC all the time.

Midweek, August, in DC or even the near by suburbs, is probably going to be expensive. I would agree with the suggestion to check out the chains in Pentagon City and Crystal City; you might get lucky and they're both right off the Yellow Line into downtown DC. Otherwise, you may have better luck near BWI or Arundel Mills and either drive to Metro or you can drive into town and park.

The post cruise option is probably better for hotels in either DC or the close in 'burbs, as that's a weekend. There are a number of hotels near the National Mall, depending on your price point, and any offers they're running. If you're talking Labor Day weekend (last weekend in August), all bets are off! You can sometimes find good deals, but you really never know. The Hotel Monaco on F Street can have some really good AAA/CAA rates, if you're a member, and is a wonderful location.

The Smithsonian museums (as stated they're are many of them) are generally located along the Mall. They're are a number of convenient Metro stops, depending on where you're staying. I would at least consider a HOHO if you're only there for a day or so; it's a long walk from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. Roosevelt and MLK are NOT obvious if you're not from here. I would do the loop, get off at Lincoln, Jefferson and MLK/Roosevelt, WWII, then complete the loop back near the Capitol. It's an easy walk back to the various museums from there. The Air and Space Museum is still the most visited museum in the world; GO EARLY!!!

Let us know what other questions you have. Washington is a great city, becoming even better!

Thanks everyone! You guys are great help!

We'll be on the August 22nd sailing, if we are going to DC, pre-cruise, we will probably need rooms for 20 and 21st. And if we are doing the side trip, post cruise, it would be for August 29 and 30th.

I was just checking the various options suggested. And it seems the hotels near Dulles offer the lowest rates and a lot of these hotels offer free parking and shuttle. Is it a long commute or difficult to get into DC from Dulles?

Based on the ratings, amentities and discounts, I believe these hotels are available part of Priceline Express deals. What's your opinion of the locations of these hotels?

Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mil - 6412 Backlick Road Springfield VA

Sheraton Pentagon City - 900 S. Orme Street, Arlington, VA

Hyatt Arlington - 1325 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA

Feel free to provide other suggestions for accomodation, I'm trying to stay under or around $100/night. Many thanks!!

Edited by William W

With limited time, I would NOT stay at Dulles! Too much time on the road.

The Sheraton at Orme is close to the Pentagon City Metro; they may offer a shuttle which would save having to pay for parking. There's not much else in the immediate area, but you'll have a car, and Clarendon (down Columbia Pike/Wilson Boulevard) is close by. The Springfield location is kind of funky to get to, although it's close to the Springfield Metro. I'm not sure where that Hyatt is.

$100/night in DC during the summer will be a challenge...

We'll be on the August 22nd sailing, if we are going to DC, pre-cruise, we will probably need rooms for 20 and 21st. And if we are doing the side trip, post cruise, it would be for August 29 and 30th.

I was just checking the various options suggested. And it seems the hotels near Dulles offer the lowest rates and a lot of these hotels offer free parking and shuttle. Is it a long commute or difficult to get into DC from Dulles?

Based on the ratings, amentities and discounts, I believe these hotels are available part of Priceline Express deals. What's your opinion of the locations of these hotels?

Feel free to provide other suggestions for accomodation, I'm trying to stay under or around $100/night. Many thanks!!

Arlington is much closer to DC than Springfield.

The Hyatt is good, the Hyatt Regency is better.....and it's 99 or 119 with breakfast

The Courtyard Crystal City is 99, if you have AAA/CAA it's 79 for 2 beds....that's a deal and it's much closer...

The Crystal Gateway Marriott which is on top of the METRO is 109 for 2 beds incl breakfast...that's a deal!!! That's an AAA/CAA rate and that's sweet..

Look at the packages too

Springfield is too far away, Arlington/Crystal City....better choice...

There are tons of options..

As others have said, DC is cheaper on the weekends. Be careful about Priceline because they only guarantee double occupancy. You may end up with one king bed (tough with two kids!). A few years ago we stayed at One Washington Circle which was walkable which was easily accessible to the Metro. Rooms had a kitchenette and there was a Trader Joe's around the corner, so we saved on eating out.

The Hyatt is right on top of the Ballston Metro, if it's the one I am thinking of. Very nice area - I used to live there years ago. The Ballston Metro is Orange line, so straight shot downtown to Smithsonian. If you are driving in, Ballston can be tricky. If flying in, you would want to fly into National - it's a 10-15 minute cab ride to hotel. In terms of getting over to Baltimore and port, you could take Amtrak to BWI and cab it from there, or just head over night before and stay at airport hotel.

I would second doing DC after cruise. Grandeur sails Friday to Friday, so you would seeing DC over weekend, which is cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

As someone who just sailed the Grandeur out of Baltimore last month, and who also lives a few mile from Dulles, with my kids, my suggestions are:

1. Do the cruise first. That's the most fun, and what your family will be looking forward to. And you'll probably find, coming from Ottawa, this neck of the woods is HOT and HUMID in August. But after getting off the ship you'll be more used to it.

2. You'll be a bit bummed getting off the ship, but if you have something fun to look forward to, it can help!

3. DC is much better, as others have said, on weekends. Not as crowded.

4. The drive back to Ottawa won't be much different from Baltimore vs. DC.

Others have given you plenty think about in terms of where to stay, so I won't comment there. But if you do want more advice about the Dulles area, please feel free to ask. I'm just a stone's throw away.

The Hyatt Arlington is near the Rosslyn Metro...at least the one that is referred to here...

The Hyatt Regency Crystal City is near the Crystal City metro, a couple blocks away..I think the airport shuttle will drop you closer, or you can walk.....(probably will be very hot...I would take a ride, or walk underground..)

Or you can take the shuttle to National Airport and get the Metro there..

The Hyatt Arlington is near the Rosslyn Metro...at least the one that is referred to here...

The Hyatt Regency Crystal City is near the Crystal City metro, a couple blocks away..I think the airport shuttle will drop you closer, or you can walk.....(probably will be very hot...I would take a ride, or walk underground..)

Or you can take the shuttle to National Airport and get the Metro there..

Hmmm...not the one I was thinking of. Rosslyn is OK but Crystal City might be better. I believe someone mentioned Klimpton hotels - isn't the Hotel Monaco right in the heart of Alexandria. That would great location too. Lots to do around there and short walk to Metro. I think of Rosslyn and Crystal City as mostly office buildings, not exactly great places to visit for a vacation...lol

Hmmm...not the one I was thinking of. Rosslyn is OK but Crystal City might be better. I believe someone mentioned Klimpton hotels - isn't the Hotel Monaco right in the heart of Alexandria. That would great location too. Lots to do around there and short walk to Metro. I think of Rosslyn and Crystal City as mostly office buildings, not exactly great places to visit for a vacation...lol

Yes, there are a lot of Hyatts there, but I looked and the one that was listed said it was by Rosslyn...:confused:

They're not the best vacation spots, but they are cheap on weekends...LOL and at least the Metro is easily accessible...plus parking CAN be a little cheaper too...

When I take the train I try and stay in town...though I like to save cash.....and when I find a hotel that spoils me, I will go back, and send others there... :D

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have now decide to vist DC post cruise, and have selected the Arlington area as where we would be staying.

Now, I'm just debating whether I should book direct with the hotel or chance it with Priceline. I'm 90% sure it is the Sheraton Pentagon City that is being advertised for $56/night under the express deal section in Priceline, and the Hyatt near Rosslyn Metro station is listed for $62/night. Probably less if I were to go with the Name Your Own Price option. However, like others have said about Priceline, I'm afraid that I may get stuck in a room with a double bed.

The alternative is I can book direct with Comfort Inn Pentegon City at 2480 S Glebe Rd, Arlington. I can book it for $72/night (non refundable), that would guarantee me 2 queen beds and it includes parking and basic breakfast. But it is further from a Metro station, but I think they offer free shuttle to the Metro station itself.

Decisions.... any input is much appreciated?

Edited by William W

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have now decide to vist DC post cruise, and have selected the Arlington area as where we would be staying.

Now, I'm just debating whether I should book direct with the hotel or chance it with Priceline. I'm 90% sure it is the Sheraton Pentagon City that is being advertised for $56/night under the express deal section in Priceline, and the Hyatt near Rosslyn Metro station is listed for $62/night. Probably less if I were to go with the Name Your Own Price option. However, like others have said about Priceline, I'm afraid that I may get stuck in a room with a double bed.

The alternative is I can book direct with Comfort Inn Pentegon City at 2480 S Glebe Rd, Arlington. I can book it for $72/night (non refundable), that would guarantee me a 2 queen and it includes parking and basic breakfast. But it is further from a Metro station, but I think they offer free shuttle to the Metro station itself.

Decisions.... any input is much appreciated?

Don't chance it on PL....book direct, and book refundable..,,you want to be sure you have 2 beds...and you don't want to mess with where you'll be...

Book something now that you're comfortable with...comfort inns are NOT necessarily the best places to stay.......

You'll have a better shot at a better room by NOT using a bidding site, and you're not locked in if you arrive and you hate the hotel or decide that it's too far.

You can sign up for Marriott's e-Breaks emails...these are last minute rates for the coming weekend...and they are sent out on Monday for the coming weekend. You can probably quick check your email and see if any DC or VA hotels show up and then book....

I would NOT bid or prepay.....some places in the area are great, some not so much...Comfort Inns, Best Westerns, etc tend to vary widely in quality.

Edited by megr1125

I'd go with the Sheraton because it's very close to a really nice high-end mall and the accommodations are much nicer than the Comfort Inn. Check tripadvisor for reviews. Also, Rosslyn (used to work in that city) is a virtual ghost town on the weekends. More to do in the Pentagon City area with a reliable shuttle service. You'll have a nice view of the 9/11 sculpture, too.

OK, let's get a little geography straight here. A Comfort Inn on Glebe is not in Pentagon City in the eyes of anyone who works in the area. You'll have to drive, or get a shuttle. It's probably a mile and a half from either Metro stop.

The Sheraton on Orme is still not at Pentagon City. You again have to either drive about a mile, and your GPS will probably take you the long way as the short way cuts through one of the Pentagon parking lots, or again use a hotel shuttle. It's a nice hotel.

The only hotel that's "at" Pentagon City is the Ritz Carlton. There's a Residence Inn on Army-Navy that's walkable, as well as a Doubletree. For Crystal City, the hotels within an easy walk are all full service hotels. The Crystal City Marriott, Gateway Marriott, Sheraton Crystal City, and Crown Plaza are the most convenient. The Hyatt is a walk.

Someone previously posted a $99 rate at the Crystal Gateway. If you can get that for four, take it. You are literally on top of the Metro stop.

The cheaper places you see are cheaper for a reason. And, yes, I work there.