12 Apostles on Royal Caribbean???

knittinggirl

Has anybody done the 12 Apostles on Royal Caribbean. They say there's 7 hours of driving for a 9 hour tour. This isn't via the Great Ocean Road, so how's the scenery? What about bathroom stops? What's in their box lunch?

Edited by knittinggirl

I havent done the ships tour but you are correct in that there would be at least 7 hours of driving. It is a long drive and abridged tour. Most of us would do this in 2 or 3 days to get the best experience.

From memory, the lunch stop is at Apollo Bay and i think part of the GOR is covered in one direction only, but i stand corrected if wrong.

Do a search as the topic has been covered previously.

I just read the details of this excusion. Based on those details and my own experience driving the GOR and seeing the 12 Apostles when I lived in Australia, I would say that this trip is NOT worth the time or money.

First of all, the trip to the 12 Apostles is along the interior route, which is not particularly interesting or scenic. Next, you only visit 3 sites for a total of 2 hours (our of a 9-hour day). Finally, you return along the GOR and while it's scenic, I have to admit that I have been on equally or more scenic drives along the U.S. coasts.

Finally, you return along the GOR and while it's scenic, I have to admit that I have been on equally or more scenic drives along the U.S. coasts.
In addition, IMHO much of the most spectacular coastal scenery is beyond the Twelve Apostles. On the Melbourne side, many of the attractions of the GOR require you to stop and get off the road and spend time at them, rather than simply barrelling along the road looking out of the window. Even the rock formations on the far side are best seen on foot rather than from wheels.

When we drove the GOR a couple of years ago, we allocated two full days to the trip and found that it wasn't enough. It needs a minimum of three days, and there is so much more than the Twelve Apostles. So I would strongly echo the suggestion that a day trip to the Twelve Apostles is not worth the time or the money, unless your idea of a fun day out is to be cooped up inside a bus all day.

I just read the details of this excusion. Based on those details and my own experience driving the GOR and seeing the 12 Apostles when I lived in Australia, I would say that this trip is NOT worth the time or money.

First of all, the trip to the 12 Apostles is along the interior route, which is not particularly interesting or scenic. Next, you only visit 3 sites for a total of 2 hours (our of a 9-hour day). Finally, you return along the GOR and while it's scenic, I have to admit that I have been on equally or more scenic drives along the U.S. coasts.

can i also add that quite a few of the 12 apostles have fallen over and are just a pile of rocks in the surf....

Amazing part of the world but Im afraid if you are not driving along the scenic ocean road I would question the value this part of Australia is pretty scenic and your time might be better spent on something with less driving.

regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

can i also add that quite a few of the 12 apostles have fallen over and are just a pile of rocks in the surf....

Amazing part of the world but Im afraid if you are not driving along the scenic ocean road I would question the value this part of Australia is pretty scenic and your time might be better spent on something with less driving.

regards Roscoe

There are now only 8 Apostles and having driven this road its full length a few times I can tell you, that while quite pretty, the stretch between the Apostles and Melbourne is not the most interesting bit unless you have time to go off the beaten track.

You would be better concentrating your time closer to Melbourne.

Also last time we were at the Apostles, the wind was so strong that I couldn't stand there for long looking at them, just a case of 'yep there's what's left of the twelve, now lets get out of the wind'.

regards Roscoe

Only 1 has collapsed. There were only ever 9 stacks despite the name, so now there is 8.