No Watch Battery in Onboard Shops

My Philips Stein watch went dead the night before we left, and I figured that I could pick up the battery on the ship or one of their shops on shore since I had purchased the watch from one of Royal's Affiliated Shops.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the onboard shop wouldn't sell me a replacement battery. (They would sell me a watch though). We stopped by Diamonds International Watch in both St. Maartins and Diamonds International & Kay's Jewelers in St. Kitts, and again they wouldn't sell me a battery for a watch they selll. St. Maartins suggested I take the water taxi to visit their other store, but by that time we were close to the boarding deadline.

All this time, I figured they'd support their watches, but they really don't.

Edited by knittinggirl

Was there some sort of warranty that the battery wouldn't die? If not, I see no reason why the ship store would be expected to carry batteries or why you would consider that not standing behind their product.

I own an Omega watch. When the battery goes the replacement has to be carried out by a certified repair shop otherwise the lifetime guarantee is void. I would only take a cheap watch to a regular outlet for the battery to be swapped out. This may have something to do with the fact that it is a waterproof version....

No warranty problems I remember. It seems weird to me that they wouldn't carry batteries.

I'm wondering if the frequency technology makes the batteries drain faster. This is the third battery. Well, I got batteries replaced in the philips stein and my old seiko, so I'll be interested to see which battery dies first.

The numbers on the Philips Stein with it's larger size are a lot easier to read than my seiko.

DH is taking his wind up watch as back up on his next cruise, and I'm taking the seiko.

You used the word "wouldn't" a couple of times; are you sure this was the case, and not that they "couldn't" because they didn't have a battery to sell you? Sincerely asking, not being facetious. :)

The onboard shop wouldn't because they told me they didn't want to be responsible if they broke the watch. But they tried to sell me one of their watches. Unfortunately, I didn't want to spend $30-40 (that they quoted) on a new watch when all I needed was a battery. The shops on shore just said they no to the answer "do you have any batteries."

I got by with my cell phone and DH's watch. In our stateroom, I had our travel clock on hourly chime a few times. Not too hard to ask for the time or read the time of someone else's watch.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the onboard shop wouldn't sell me a replacement battery[...]

umm what makes you think they would even HAVE batteries to sell? most of my local jewelry stores do not and you have to go to watch repair kiosks to get replacements.

The onboard shop wouldn't because they told me they didn't want to be responsible if they broke the watch. But they tried to sell me one of their watches. Unfortunately, I didn't want to spend $30-40 (that they quoted) on a new watch when all I needed was a battery. The shops on shore just said they no to the answer "do you have any batteries."

I got by with my cell phone and DH's watch. In our stateroom, I had our travel clock on hourly chime a few times. Not too hard to ask for the time or read the time of someone else's watch.

I have a Phillip Stein watch and found out when my battery died that they should be replaced by a certified dealer. I took mine to a very good jeweler near my house and he wouldn't replace it for me. He suggested I take it to a certified Phillip Stein dealer. I called a few places and battery replacement by a certified dealer ranged from $40 - 50.

I was shocked too but I guess when you buy an expensive watch the cost to replace a battery can be more expensive too.

I ran into the same thing. Had the battery go dead on a watch I bought on board and took it on my next cruise to get it replaced - no luck. On higher end watches, I know from experience that you need to take it to a certified dealer, and I wrongly assumed that since the cruise line sold it, they would be certified to replace the battery!

I quickly learned that they are a sales operation only and don't have an actual trained jeweler on board. Probably the same situation with the port shops.

I have a Phillip Stein watch and found out when my battery died that they should be replaced by a certified dealer. I took mine to a very good jeweler near my house and he wouldn't replace it for me. He suggested I take it to a certified Phillip Stein dealer. I called a few places and battery replacement by a certified dealer ranged from $40 - 50.

I was shocked too but I guess when you buy an expensive watch the cost to replace a battery can be more expensive too.

Hmmm, if I have to send my watch to a certified dealer, I'll stick to Seiko's from now on.

Our local jeweler also fixes watches.

I have found less and less places will actually replace the battery for you, even if you buy the battery from them. I used to work for Radio Shack and replaced lots of batteries, but even they don't do it anymore.

Not that I ever owned a watch where I'd worry about breaking it by replacing a battery, but the last time I had a battery done by someone else was at Sears. Even then they told me I had to come back when their jeweller was back from his break.

My Philips Stein watch went dead the night before we left, and I figured that I could pick up the battery on the ship or one of their shops on shore since I had purchased the watch from one of Royal's Affiliated Shops.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the onboard shop wouldn't sell me a replacement battery. (They would sell me a watch though). We stopped by Diamonds International Watch in both St. Maartins and Diamonds International & Kay's Jewelers in St. Kitts, and again they wouldn't sell me a battery for a watch they selll. St. Maartins suggested I take the water taxi to visit their other store, but by that time we were close to the boarding deadline.

Don't be surprised.

Philip Stein repairs, battery changes are only done by some of their authorized dealers who will keep the watch and send it to the service center or who have an in-store Philip Stein authorized repair person.

Many of the smaller watch and battery stores will refuse to even touch it for a battery change, due to the frequency chips. I had mine changed from a jeweler who knew how to handle these watches.

If you are near a Nordstrom's (and if they sell Philip Stein) they will be able to help you out. But to my knowledge, they will take the watch, repair it, replace batteries, etc and then ship it to you or the store.

Also if you call or go on Philip Stein's website, you can get info on stores that can do repairs, battery cahnges, etc in your area.

I would not have a sales person in the jewelry shop on the ship touch it....they are only good at selling and that's all.

Guest maddycat

I'll never complain again about spending $6 to replace the battery in my Seiko watch.

Apparently, the onboard shops are not allowed to do anything to watches (even the ones they sell). I purchased one of their Citizen Eco-drives on the ship. When I was back on the same ship a few months later it stopped working. After talking to several people, I got the person in charge of all the shops on board. He explained that all they were not authorized to do anything to a watch. He did give me one of the cheap watches that they sell, so I could tell time on the cruise. Eventually, I got the watched fixed at home and it didn't cost me anything.

Overall, I feel that ship shops should provide basic services (like most jewelry stores do), but I understand that they just want to run retail sales and NOT the servicing side of the business. Probably a good business decision, just not the best customer service decision. IMHO

Saw the title of this thread...wasnt sure. Read the content.......cannot believe it. Its a ship! They didnt have the specific watch battery your watch needed! Disgraceful. Dont book RCI again in disgust!

^ Uncalled for.

~ OP, I was thinking about this some more and of course batteries have expiry dates; among other reasons, they probably don't want to get into "perishable" goods (for lack of a better word) because I suspect there might be a relatively low turnover rate for watch batteries... at least, lower than a watch dealer on land, a jeweler, or even a drug store.

Depending on the case back it isn't as as simple as you might think to replace batteries. Different sizes of tools are required, if the watch is waterproof gaskets may need replaced, and the case may need reinstalled with a specific amount of force (using yet another tool).

You can buy the tools from Amazon for cheap, but that doesn't make them easy to use, or easy to use without scratching the case back.

All this has me wondering, if I buy a watch on ship or at Diamonds International on shore, how long has the watch been in the store, and how long until the battery dies. I've always assumed you buy a new watch and get a fresh battery. But if they can't replace the battery for you, they're selling a watch w/ an old battery. Really cute!

Edited by knittinggirl

umm what makes you think they would even HAVE batteries to sell? most of my local jewelry stores do not and you have to go to watch repair kiosks to get replacements.

Every jewelry store I've ever been in carry's batteries:rolleyes:

And they put the batteries into my watch for me too.

The shops on board are not jewelers. They are merchandise movers. The sell you SKUs (stock keeping units).

A real jeweler will replace the battery in a watch that they are an authorized dealer for. The on board shops will not.