Which Luau

over spending cruisers

Polynesian Luau is the best deal. All day affair (gate opens at noon) which also includes a buffet dinner + good reviews. Included in the package price if you buy a 3 day or longer Go Oahu Card. Other Luau are mostly evening only.

Big Luau's have the benefit of economies of scale and lots of activities, display, and big time shows with the commensurate crowds and mass feeding/quality of food/service.

If you are in Waikiki remember that the locations are a ways out and traffic is horrendous.... Many of the major hotels offer their own Luau and we've also enjoyed these smaller more intimate shows. We just did the one at Hilton Resort and found it small, more intimate, good food. The show was consistent with it being smaller. One downside was higher cost and bang for buck around drinks ( not that I am a big drinker ).

I've been to Paradise Cove, Germaine's and Polynesian Cultural Center.

The PCC is a wonderful experience, but not your typical luau. You would see exhibits from 7 Islands (I think). It's a huge park run by Church of Latter Day Saints, so no alcohol. Students from Brigham Young are the workers.

Germaine's was a nice show. Typical luau food.

Paradise Cove has my vote as the show is a typical luau show, the food is typical luau food, BUT they have Hawaiian activities not offered at most luaus. Lei making, reed weaving, spear throwing, hula lessons, Hukilau (fishing with nets). For about the same price, we felt we got more bang for the buck and really enjoyed the Hawaiian activities.

You will get many who disagree, this is a subjective subject on this board. Everyone's tastes are different.

that link did not work for me

That worked yesterday but not today so not sure what happened? :o

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=75609202

This just worked for me & if not at the top search for "luau" to find many threads. I think it's the Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park that I've read posts of people enjoying it.

http://places.singleplatform.com/chiefs-luau/menu?ref=integration

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did Germaines on 8/6/15 and loved it. The setting on the beach was really nice. You eat at long picnic tables in the sand, and see the ocean. Wear sandals.

Plenty of food. Nice show.

The fact that transportation and drinks were included factored into our decision when we were choosing.

We went to Paradise Cove a few days ago and enjoyed it. The food was much better than I was expecting (although I didn't try much of the traditional Hawaiian fare.) The show was good, but it seemed really short for what we paid! The activities ahead of time were a lot of fun. Our host on the bus to and from the luau was hysterical.

I haven't been to any of the others, so I can't compare them.

We went to Paradise Cove a few days ago and enjoyed it. The food was much better than I was expecting (although I didn't try much of the traditional Hawaiian fare.) The show was good, but it seemed really short for what we paid! The activities ahead of time were a lot of fun. Our host on the bus to and from the luau was hysterical.

I haven't been to any of the others, so I can't compare them.

Carmzay where did you sit at Paradise Cove? How was the view? I am going in October and am trying to figure out which section to sit in.

Considiering Germaine's or Paradise Cove post cruise. Reviews seem mostly positive for both as well as similar pricing. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hope you enjoy Paradise Cove over spending cruisers! I am considering these two luaus. Will be in Honolulu on Carnival. Has anyone ever done either on a Carnival cruise? We will be in port until 11PM, but not sure about transportation, travel time or if it would be cutting it too close to get back onboard in time. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi, I was also wondering if anyone who knows the Honolulu area could give me some info. We will be there for a cruise next year on Carnival and would like to go to the Cheif's Luau. According to their site, the luau ends around 8:30 - 9:00 pmish, and our ship leaves at 11pm........will that give us enough time to get back by "all aboard"? Their site says it is 25 mins. from Waikiki Beach, but I figure that is on a good day, without traffic etc. If anybody knows time frame I would greatly appreciate the info. I hear traffic is bad in Honolulu. Thanks!

Hi, I was also wondering if anyone who knows the Honolulu area could give me some info. We will be there for a cruise next year on Carnival and would like to go to the Cheif's Luau. According to their site, the luau ends around 8:30 - 9:00 pmish, and our ship leaves at 11pm........will that give us enough time to get back by "all aboard"? Their site says it is 25 mins. from Waikiki Beach, but I figure that is on a good day, without traffic etc. If anybody knows time frame I would greatly appreciate the info. I hear traffic is bad in Honolulu. Thanks!

Checking Google Maps it's currently 11:30 AM HST & it shows a 30-45 minute drive. Based on this midday commute time I'd think it was less traffic at night. The light rail system construction has created some closures but they appear to primarily be north of Honolulu and Sea Life park where the Chief's Luau is located is on the southeast section of Oahu.

I haven't gone to the Chief's Luau but have read many positive posts about it. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Checking Google Maps it's currently 11:30 AM HST & it shows a 30-45 minute drive. Based on this midday commute time I'd think it was less traffic at night. The light rail system construction has created some closures but they appear to primarily be north of Honolulu and Sea Life park where the Chief's Luau is located is on the southeast section of Oahu.

I haven't gone to the Chief's Luau but have read many positive posts about it. :)

Thanks for your help Astro Flyer!! I really appreciate it!!

Carmzay where did you sit at Paradise Cove? How was the view? I am going in October and am trying to figure out which section to sit in.

We did the orchid package. Our seats were assigned to us according to which bus we came on. We were in the center section, but in the last row of tables in that section, which still gave us a good view. My son had a hard time seeing. The seating area is flat, so if you end up with a tall person in front of you (or someone wearing a hat) you might have some trouble.

The views from the cheaper section were fine though.

We did the orchid package. Our seats were assigned to us according to which bus we came on. We were in the center section, but in the last row of tables in that section, which still gave us a good view. My son had a hard time seeing. The seating area is flat, so if you end up with a tall person in front of you (or someone wearing a hat) you might have some trouble.

The views from the cheaper section were fine though.

Thanks carmzav....Orchid seating is where I was leaning towards. I am only 5 ft tall, so hopefully I will be lucky enough to be seated at the end of the table :D

Can anyone please tell me about Chiefs Luau, any information is appreciated.. thank you Mahalo:confused:

If you search this forum for "luau" you'll find several discussions including posts from those who have gone to the Chief's Luau.

If you want more info & have not read it yet, Trip Advisor has over 2,300 reviews about the Chief's Luau.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60662-d3139142-Reviews-Chief_s_Luau_at_Sea_Life_Park-Waimanalo_Oahu_Hawaii.html