Grand Turk with Kids

Iggipolka

We're cruising in April with a 4 & 7 year old. Is the beach too rough for them? I'm thinking about getting a pool cabana for the day, but was also considering the Family Beach Break. Has anyone done that excursion? Thoughts?

Thanks

The shoreline just inside the waters edge can be rocky/hard. I would recommend taking water shoes. The waves are generally fairly calm but you will likely have to hold hands of the littles to help navigate rocks/waves until you are past the breakers. After that's it's easy swimming in crystal clear water.

I haven't done the excursions, all the beaches on Grand Turk are public and the beach to the left (right if your on the ship) of the pier tends to be less busy (probably because it's a bit more rocky). 5071111bfa1455e4c42c5a20fbdcec46.jpg

My then 10 year old running on the beach. the beach to the left of the pier (looking at the beach from the ship) was packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CruisingRavyn

My husband and I were in Grand Turk Jan 2012 and had a great time. We were on Ruby Princess and got in later than other ships so we went further down the beach to Jack's Shack. Best decision ever!! It was much quieter than by the port docks and the beach was awesome. I have some pictures that I'll try to post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can you access the "non-rocky" beach from Margaritaville? I see people in beach chairs....I assume you can rent those?

Not certain about the chairs on that side. On the side opposite margaritaville the chairs are free and first come basis. I would assume it is the same on the other side but it is very crowded. if they are plan to get off ship early if you want to get one.

Looks like heaven. I wish we were there right now!

I did rent a pool cabana as I know my youngest and my spouse will prefer the pool to the beach and the 4 year old may nap in the cabana. However, my older daughter and I are major beach people, so we'll be checking out that beautiful beach!

Can you access the "non-rocky" beach from Margaritaville? I see people in beach chairs....I assume you can rent those?

Go to the left from the pier, walk through Marguaritaville and down the beach. Not nearly as crowded as soon as you pass Mville. No rocks in the surf either. Lay your towel out and enjoy your day. Going towards Jacks- there are rental loungers available. Last month I saw 2 loungers, a bucket of beer and chicken wings for $25. But we were on a mission to Jack's Shack, a 10 minute walk. loungers are there are free, umbrellas -$10. Incredible Jerk chicken there too.

Edited by satbeachbill

We have been twice and both times the water was really calm.

P4080133%20copy-M.jpg

There's plenty of free beach chairs down to the left and right of the pier. There will be a sign that tells you when you are "leaving" the cruise area (that's when the chairs are no longer free).

We always like to end the day at the port pool. It's a nice refreshing swim with no salt water. :D

P4080163%20copy-M.jpg

P4080133%20copy-M.jpg

There's plenty of free beach chairs down to the left and right of the pier. There will be a sign that tells you when you are "leaving" the cruise area (that's when the chairs are no longer free).

We always like to end the day at the port pool. It's a nice refreshing swim with no salt water. :D

P4080163%20copy-M.jpg

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics!

Was that floating thing yours? Or did you rent it there?

Great pic! So where exactly is this beach and how do you access it from the ship/dock?

Thanks!

Walk down the pier and go around the wall/entrance and go left or right.

P4080009%20copy-M.jpg

This is when you first enter the beach right beside the pier area:

P4080023%20copy-M.jpg

P4080033%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

P3280363%20copy-M.jpg

P3280366%20copy-M.jpg

Standing on the pier:

P3280369%20copy-M.jpg

Easy Peasy. No worries.

• 1 month later...
Go to the left from the pier, walk through Marguaritaville and down the beach. Not nearly as crowded as soon as you pass Mville. No rocks in the surf either. Lay your towel out and enjoy your day. Going towards Jacks- there are rental loungers available. Last month I saw 2 loungers, a bucket of beer and chicken wings for $25. But we were on a mission to Jack's Shack, a 10 minute walk. loungers are there are free, umbrellas -$10. Incredible Jerk chicken there too.

Is Jack's to the left or right as you are coming off of the pier?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I Absolutely Love your Floating Device.....what is it called? I would love to pick up one or two for my grandchildren for our cruise next year. Thank You!

P4080133%20copy-M.jpg

P4080163%20copy-M.jpg

I Absolutely Love your Floating Device.....what is it called? I would love to pick up one or two for my grandchildren for our cruise next year. Thank You!

It's called a spring float. You twist them and the wind up in a circle and come's with a carrying bag with a strap to carry on your shoulder and lays flat in the bag. Easy for packing in the bottom of a suitcase too.

• 1 month later...

Researching Grand Turk for the first time.

I love whoever posted the pictures for reference. If we walked down the pier is the pool (Margaritville) to the right or left? I'm off to hunt for information about golf cart rentals :)

Thanks!

It's called a spring float. You twist them and the wind up in a circle and come's with a carrying bag with a strap to carry on your shoulder and lays flat in the bag. Easy for packing in the bottom of a suitcase too.

oooh it's you! I was scrolling through posts and clicked on a review of grand turk and read the whole island report and I just realized it was you! Your posts with the donkey made me laugh so hard. and you've inspired me to do some research of Goveners Beach too. We are only there for 6 hours so I'm trying to figure out how we will spend the day!

Researching Grand Turk for the first time.

I love whoever posted the pictures for reference. If we walked down the pier is the pool (Margaritville) to the right or left? I'm off to hunt for information about golf cart rentals :)

Thanks!

It is to your left as you get off of the pier.

I would spend the day right at the beach in port. It is so nice.