Thoughts on Premium Economy vs Economy Air Canada?

tings66

Hi all--any cruisers out there who have flown Premium Economy on Air Canada from Montreal or Toronto to Rome? it's about $600-700 more per person round trip. I'll be connecting through YUL or YYZ from Atlantic Canada. Think it's worth it? can't make up my mind! Business class would be awesome but just too expensive.

Hi all--any cruisers out there who have flown Premium Economy on Air Canada from Montreal or Toronto to Rome? it's about $600-700 more per person round trip. I'll be connecting through YUL or YYZ from Atlantic Canada. Think it's worth it? can't make up my mind! Business class would be awesome but just too expensive.

Here is the link to the cruise air board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Before posting it would help if you identify the dates of travel, the type of plane as well as any other information you have. It would also be good to know if the flights are on Mainline Air Canada Planes or their Rouge brand (beware if it's on Rouge).

My personal thought on your question however is that it's not worth that sort of money to upgrade. You get a little more leg room, a better seat (I think) and are nearer the front of the plane. While those are nice, that is a lot of money for a 7 hr flight and I would rather put that to use in Rome or elsewhere on the Med. My personal thresehold for upgrading to Premium is less than $100 per ticket.

IMHO Yes! Yes! Yes!. our children live on two different continents, one in the UK and the other in Asia. On any flight over 4 hours we will fly PE, however, like you feel business class doesn't make sense cost wise. In fact just booked our summer trip to UK followed up by cruise to Greek islands out of Rome and did it PE. Have found Cathay Pacific and British Airways deliver a better product but Air Canada is well worth the price for the extra room, smaller quieter cabin space, and if needed the extra luggage allowance.

If premium economy is a proper international premium economy then yes, easily worth several hundred dollars per person (if not more) imho. Added in edit: at $600 pp I'd probably do it, but I put some value on the frequent flyer miles in addition to the better flight comfort and service.

We did premium economy on AF and Alitalia which got us seats comparable to North American first class (plus with recliner like leg rests on one of the brands), a nicer meal, and a dedicated bathroom for that section of the cabin.

There are websites out there dedicated to showing airplane layouts based on airline and specific plane (cross-check your seat map versus the different seat layouts if you're not sure which exact plane layout you'll be on). Seatguru is a good one.

If you're into miles, Premium Economy also usually nets 150% on miles earned for frequent flyer status. Our r/t to Europe in premium economy from Toronto (YYZ-CDG-BCN; ATH-FCO-YYZ) was something like 20,000 miles... just shy of the 25k needed for Delta Silver Medallion.

Keep in mind code shares by the airlines. I booked through Delta's site even though the flights were operated by Air France and Alitalia (both are skyteam partners and code share flights) to ensure I got full Delta frequent flyer miles credited. In airline lingo, the operating airline is sometimes referred to as "metal", so a DL (Delta) code share on AF (Air France) metal (or AF operated).

We flew premium economy from Toronto to the UK in September. It was Air Canada Rouge and the seats were comparable to business class seats on a domestic Air Canada flight. We also had access to the international lounge in Toronto which was great since we had quite a long layover in Toronto before departing on our overseas flight (although access may have been granted due to our points status ... I don't recall for sure).

For us it was definitely worth it as my husband is over 6'. I'm about a foot shorter but still like the added comfort for an overseas flight.

I'd suggest checking what type of plane you'll be on and then checking their seating plan to see what you're really getting before you book. If it's comparable to what we had I think it might be worthwhile. Especially if you arrive early in the day at your destination, in which case you're likely more refreshed. If it's an evening arrival where you might be just checking into a hotel and then to bed, perhaps the added cost/comfort isn't as important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also check the price to upgrade to a Preferred seat - sometimes only around 50 to 90 dollars and compare what you get in Premium vs preferred seat.

We have flown PE on both Air Canada (not Rouge) and Air France from Mtl to Italy. Some of the perks are the Priority Check-in, Security, and Priority Baggage, as well as increased luggage allowance. Also, PE usually has a 2-4-2 seating configuration in it's own separate rows just behind the Business Class Section. It also tends to have it's own Lavatories. The seats are larger, with a little more recline and perks that are a bit above Economy. We haven't flown AC Rouge but will be doing so this June. We limited the extra costs by going PE for the leg from Mtl to London (as it is an overnight flight) and are returning Economy (day flight). You may consider that as an alternative. FYI...AC has 2 configurations on the regular non-Rouge flights where the PE cabin is separated by only cloth drapes vs hard dividers from the Economy section immediately behind it. If you go PE, you may want to check which one your flight has and choose your seats accordingly.

I think it is definitely worth it for a longer flight. We flew AC PE home from Munich last year and we loved the amount of leg room we had. When the person beside the window wanted to get out, the aisle person didn't even have to stand up. I'm not sure how much more we paid for it (and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to Business Class on our Lufthansa flight to Munich), we were pleasantly surprised by PE on Air Canada and would definitely consider it for longer flights, if it wasn't a crazy amount more money.

Check your flight on https://www.routehappy.com/.

We've only done Air Canada international on miles. Once got business and it was nice. Once got coach and paid $50 extra for an exit row seat. Ended up with one with better than a full row empty before the next row of seats. Lots of leg room. This was about 5 years ago and might not still be an option.

Generally on other airlines, on flights of over 4 hours we buy their premium product. We've never regretted the spend.

As for business, I've only paid twice. Once on a 12 hour flight I paid an extra $2,400 over regular coach and once to Europe we caught a sale for around $2,000 total RT. Both were worth it. Usually though we only fly business on miles.

Last year we flew economy on Swissair. The plane was comparable to Air Canada Rouge (IMO). We were so uncomfortable.

So, this year we will fly Air Canada Rouge Toronto -

Athens and we are paying extra for the Premium Economy.

We figure we are paying extra just to have the kind of economy seats we used to have.

If you have short legs, you may not need it!

Premium Economy on A330, 787, or 777 is mainline in a three cabin aircraft. Bigger seat than regular economy, better meal, On part with a domestic business class seat.

Premium Economy on a 767 or A319, A321 is Rouge on a two cabin aircraft. Likely only a 767 going to Europe. Same seat as domestic business class. Much better than regular economy.

The meal you will get is virtually the same as a domestic business class meal. Not as nice as international business class but still much better that normal economy.

The way I would look at it. If I fly regular economy the next day when I arrive in Europe I am tired and useless and just want to go to sleep. If I travel in Premium Economy I feel ok to something the first and in Business I am probably good for an entire day.

If the cost of the upgrade is worth an extra day of vacation then the upgrade is money well spent.

If you google the Air Canada site, there are lots of photos.

Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

On the first page, there's currently a thread all about Air Canada.

Sorry to ask but I couldn't find the thread about Air Canada that you are talking about after going onto the above forum. Explain again how to find it.

Thanks,

Barb

I'm 66 years old and 6'2". If I don't fly PE or above on the long flights I suffer for more than just the day of arrival :( . I don't like Air Canada Rouge and don't use it, but their PE on 787s is well worth the cost. I booked air for an upcoming cruise on AC, during one of the fare sales, both legs on a 787, using Business Class for the overnight flight to Europe and PE for the day trip coming home.