Seat booking

Iamthesea

Hi,

In the olden days, if one wanted more room on a flight, they could book an extra airline seat. Is this still allowed?

DH and I are taking a cruise from LAX to Sydney (return from Auckland) and were thinking instead of paying for 2 Business class or Economy "extra" or "plus" seats, thought that we could perhaps book the 3 seat configuration (all 3 seats for 2 people) in the Main cabin of Economy or Comfort Plus. Talking Delta here, but we have not ruled out other airlines.

Delta, AA and one other (that slips my mind :rolleyes:) have the 3-3-3 configuration in their Economy "extra" or "plus" categories. Since DH always books on the isle, I do not want to sit next to a stranger, and try to sleep, for 17 hours. Nor are we excited about paying for Business class at the rates we are seeing. :eek:

Since 911, TSA and name regulations, etc., I wasn't sure if booking extra seats is even allowed. If it is, how do you book it?

In the olden days, if one wanted more room on a flight, they could book an extra airline seat. Is this still allowed?
Many airlines still do this. The best thing is to search the airline's website for "extra seat" or "comfort seat". If that doesn't produce results, phone the airline to ask how to do it. If you're not happy with the information you get on the phone, then FlyerTalk is probably the next best option.

Thank you for directing me to Flyer Talk. I found the following thread right away. Sounds like it can be done on at least American, but we need to call.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/990976-booking-two-seats-extra-seat-one-person-xtraseat.html

And I Googled and found this for Delta. :)

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/gb/en/products-and-services/special-services/extra-seat---personal-comfort-.html

This has been discussed before. Just be aware that different airlines, along with different gate agents handle this is different manners. If the flight is oversold, the airlines/gate agent may place a live body in that vacant seat that you have purchased. At that time, you become just like anyone else that has purchased a seat that doesn't exist. If you resist, you might well be offered

(a) the opportunity to be bounced off the flight, and rebooked on a later flight, with offered compensation for the three seats;

(b) compensation for the seat that is reassigned only;

© allowed to keep the empty seat as is.

You have to understand that these decisions will be made within the last few minutes before the flight is scheduled to depart and there will be no time to force a review up the command chain. The lead gate Agent will be the ultimate decision maker. I will repeat that different airlines and different gate agents have different policies and agendas, but just be forewarned that for the gate agents getting the maximum number of flyers to their destinations often take precedents over your extra comfort. Hopefully, the plane will not be oversold and the issue becomes moot. :)

Last week I purchased 3 economy seats (two of us traveling) on Virgin America SFO-FLL. I phoned their call center first asking how to go about making the purchase on their website. The Agent placed me on hold to consult with a Supervisor. The instruction back with regard to the passenger name for the extra seat was to use my real last name and "Extra Seat" as my first name. (Example: Smith/Extra Seat). I was told by putting "Extra Seat" as the first name, it would be clear to gate agents/flight attendants I had purchased an extra seat. I will also introduce myself to the gate agent, showing both boarding passes, etc, before boarding commences.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out as this is the first time we've ever purchased an extra seat.

Edited by BEAV

Delta does not serve Auckland. Have you looked into "Skycouch" on Air New Zealand?

When looking at different booking options, Delta shows a flight with Virgin Australia. It has a stop in Sydney. ;)

+1 for Air New Zealand's sky couch...and the Premium Economy is even better.....

I read not so nice things about the Sky Couch. Hard seat, abrasive surface. Plus, when footrest extended, the total surface is only 29", including seat. Which leads me to believe that the seat is not very deep to begin with. I have long legs, so I would not be able to use the footrest to it's fullest. And I don't really understand how th Skycouch is priced?

One thing that I did realize about the Premium Economy on some of these planes is that they may have a permanent arm rest which would negate having room to stretch out if we booked 3 seats in PE. :eek: So we would have to go 3 in Economy and miss out on any extra leg room and perks that come with the Premium booking...like Priority boarding, etc.

pinotlover - All good points and why my DH says we should buck up and go with Business class. I like to save money.

Any comments about Virgin Australia? We do like their Business class configuration for couples the best.

BEAV - Good luck to you. When are you flying?

One thing that I did realize about the Premium Economy on some of these planes is that they may have a permanent arm rest which would negate having room to stretch out if we booked 3 seats in PE.
Most versions of (true) premium economy are not designed for people to stretch out across 3 seats; you usually have to sit in your own seat.

After having tried it on a number of occasions, I've given up on the idea of "stretching out" across 3 seats anyway. If I get 3 economy seats to myself, I will sit in the middle seat and enjoy the elbow room on both sides.

The Skycouch is fundamentally a row of three economy seats. But instead of there being a hole where you'd put your legs if you were sitting upright, the footrest comes up to fill that hole with a further horizontal surface. Given my experience with having 3 seats to myself, and given that two people are usually going to share the 3-seat Skycouch, I've always wondered how comfortable it would actually be.

When looking at different booking options, Delta shows a flight with Virgin Australia. It has a stop in Sydney.
Not a stop. You have a full-bore connection, with the SYD-AKL segment on a 737.

Any comments about Virgin Australia? We do like their Business class configuration for couples the best.
I sure hope you know what you are referring to with the VA business class config. Although the reverse herringbone on the VA 777 is different than the DL 777 (herringbone), neither is really configured for "couples". On VA, you are both facing towards the center but your heads are separated. There is significant space between the two seats, a physical barrier between them and a small sliding opening that permits a bit of interaction back and forth.

Here is a good look at the seats. Judge for yourself how this fits your needs. LINK HERE.

In contrast, the DL seats have the heads together with the feet facing the aisle. There is twisting involved to communicate with the other seat, but far less distance. PHOTO HERE.

Neither is truly conducive for a lot of interaction inflight. But that is because the concept of business and first class internationally is not for social couples travel.

We'll be flying in April.

Please report back on your experience, though we are most likely going with Business or PE.

Most versions of (true) premium economy are not designed for people to stretch out across 3 seats; you usually have to sit in your own seat..

Delta's Comfort Plus does not have the immovable armrest. ;) at least that's they way they are when we fly to Europe.

FlyerTalker

Yes, connection is what I meant. Like any other flight we take out of our small hometown airport. We either have a connection (or have to stop, get off, and run to another gate :D) in CLT or ATL. The flight from AUK to SYD would be no different. How long of a flight is that from AUK to SYD?

I sure do know what I am talking about. We have done a lot of research and looked at numerous photos.

Delta's Business class seats do not appeal at all. And we do not want to twist to talk (or signal to each other. We rarely talk without signalling on a flight when we are sitting right next to each other. DH is hard of hearing.)

The AA seats are even worse for making eye contact, thought the seats look better. But who wants to lean forward and twist to make that eye contact. http://onemileatatime.img.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/American-777-200-Business-Class.jpeg I'd have to have really long arms to get my husbands attention.

We like the way VA's is set-up the best for center sitting.:cool:

Delta's Comfort Plus does not have the immovable armrest.
And that's why I included the adjective "true".

Delta's Comfort Plus is not premium economy.

The flight from AUK to SYD would be no different. How long of a flight is that from AUK to SYD?

I sure do know what I am talking about.

The flight from Alakanuk (Alaska) to Sydney would be a little over 7,000 miles, or about 14 hours, if anyone flew it.

AKL-SYD is not nearly as long.

We did the Qantas flight from AUK to Sidney last year. I think it was 3.5 hours.

For our cruise we flew BNA- DFW-Sidney.

Then Auckland-Sidney-DFW-BNA.

We were in Premium Economy. Just be aware that there is no PE on that Auckland- Sidney flight. If you are booked PE for the trip, you are put in economy for that leg. I don't remember the aircraft, but it was 3-3 in economy and booked full. We had a 8:30 departure, which means we were at the airport in Auckland around 6:00 (5:15 downtown hotel departure); 3.5 hour flight to Sidney in Economy, 4 hour layover in Sidney. I was able to use Qantas's air lounge with my Admirals Club card and the PE seats. Then 17.5 hours to DFW, with a 2.5 hour layover and two hours to BNA. Face plant in the Nashville Airport Marriott!