Private tours out of Vigo

We have been to Santiago and the cathedral before (beautiful!), but this time would like to see more local villages. I am looking at booking a tour with Brendan (well respected on these boards). He has given me the following options to mix and match as I choose. We are going to make a group of 6 for a 7 hour tour (cost 99.00$)

Has anyone been to any of these cities and could recommend one or more? Thanks for your help.

"Vigo - Baiona - Vigo.This tour takes an in depth look of these two towns and therefore the "PRO" is a more complete experience, in that you are able to spend more time at each stop. The "CON" would be that these are the only two places you will visit.

Vigo - Tui - Valenca do Minho - Monte Santa Tecla - Vigo. This tour contains a lot of history its "PRO" is that each stop we visit is unique. From the cathedral city of Tui to the walled town of Valenca in Portugal and then to the two thousand year old Celtic settlement at Santa Tecla, this tour has a little of everything. The "CON" there is a reasonable amount of driving involved and not much time to be had at each site.

Vigo - Cambados - Combarro - Pontevedra - Vigo.This is one of my favourites and takes in a little of everything, from the wine growing region of O Salnes to the cultural architecture of Cambados, Combarro and Pontevedra which are all delightful towns that have been wonderfully restored to their former glory.

On all tours expect to sample great local wine and food."

Amy

We have been to Santiago and the cathedral before (beautiful!), but this time would like to see more local villages. I am looking at booking a tour with Brendan (well respected on these boards). He has given me the following options to mix and match as I choose. We are going to make a group of 6 for a 7 hour tour (cost 99.00$)

Has anyone been to any of these cities and could recommend one or more? Thanks for your help.

"Vigo - Baiona - Vigo.This tour takes an in depth look of these two towns and therefore the "PRO" is a more complete experience, in that you are able to spend more time at each stop. The "CON" would be that these are the only two places you will visit.

Vigo - Tui - Valenca do Minho - Monte Santa Tecla - Vigo. This tour contains a lot of history its "PRO" is that each stop we visit is unique. From the cathedral city of Tui to the walled town of Valenca in Portugal and then to the two thousand year old Celtic settlement at Santa Tecla, this tour has a little of everything. The "CON" there is a reasonable amount of driving involved and not much time to be had at each site.

Vigo - Cambados - Combarro - Pontevedra - Vigo.This is one of my favourites and takes in a little of everything, from the wine growing region of O Salnes to the cultural architecture of Cambados, Combarro and Pontevedra which are all delightful towns that have been wonderfully restored to their former glory.

On all tours expect to sample great local wine and food."

Amy

Either two or three. Baiona has a nice castle (actually a Parador National) but the city is not compact or too old. Just a bunch of alleys. Beaches are beautiful. Valenca Do Mihno, and Tuy are two old cities (one in Portugal another one in Spain) on the banks of river Minho. Tui the Spanish one is slightly bigger, and the cathedral-Castle is probably the oldest of Galicia. The back alleys are simply magical. The portugal seems to be taken from a fairly tale. Surounded by walls, it´s still preserved in an inmaculate way. It´s not really big, and it´s esentially a shopping place, and full of lovely restaurants where local cod is a must. Santa Tecla has the nicest viewing point of the whole country. On the estuary of the River Mihno, as you have pointed out, has a lovely celtic settlement.

The strong point of the second tour is Pontevedra as "the little Compostela", less impressive but more local. Not with so many tourists and a delightfull local atmosphere of a small regional capital. Combarro is an old fishing village which remained the same for ages. Despite the touristical souveniers shop, the restaurants overlooking the port is simply stunning. Just close your eyes and you will see the old Galicia.

Hard to choose: They are so many places. My option. Rent a car, drive to Pontevedra and then take the local coastal road to Combarro, and to Lanzada Beach, the nicestest in Galicia. You could drive back and drive south to the South to Valenca. Or Bayona and Santa Tecla instead. Or...alternatively, drive east to Ourense, nice monumental city, and with a short stop at Rivadavia.

Hard to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting those private tour options.

You said you have been to Santiago de Compostela before. Did you go from Vigo or La Coruna??

We will be visiting both cities in April and are deciding which city is the best to travel to Santiago from???

The private tours from Vigo, which you listed sound so interesting that we hope it would be better to see Santiago from La Coruna??:D

Could I ask you to email me the website or email address to the private tour company please.

my email address is:

larsmyren at gmail dot com.

Thank you so much in advance.

Definitely from La Coruña. Distance from La Coruña 67 km, from Vigo 88. But the main point is train (recently finished the new line). From La Coruña to Santiago is only 35 minutes, from Vigo is 90 minutes.

Thank you for posting those private tour options.

You said you have been to Santiago de Compostela before. Did you go from Vigo or La Coruna??

We will be visiting both cities in April and are deciding which city is the best to travel to Santiago from???

The private tours from Vigo, which you listed sound so interesting that we hope it would be better to see Santiago from La Coruna??:D

Could I ask you to email me the website or email address to the private tour company please.

my email address is:

larsmyren at gmail dot com.

Thank you so much in advance.

Lars: I have emailed the info to you. We have booked the "two countries tour". http://guidedgalicia.blogspot.com/search/label/Tui

He has good feedback on these boards and his prices seemed fine.

Amy

Amy - thank you so much for the email:) I really apreaciate the info.

I cant wait to go and visit this region of Spain.

I am kinda angry at myself because we lived in Spain for 4 years and we never really travelled north. Live and learn, right.

Keltic - thank you for your input. I will look into the train departures to/from La Coruna.

I want to avoid using the full day Santiago De Compostela tour Royal Caribbean is offering at $122 pp!!!:eek:

I have seen the Renfe train schedule. We arrive Coruna at 8am to 5pm btw.

there are departures at 820am - this might be a tight push - and there are also one at 848am arriving Santiago at aprox 923am.

The return departure is either at 140pm arriving coruna at 210pm or 330pm arriving at 4pm.

My question is - is there any departures from Santiago between those two departures???

Arriving at Coruna at 4pm with "all onboard" at 430pm does not leave much for delays and errors.

How far is the train station from where the ship docks???

How much will it be to take a taxi from/to Santiago and how long will it take???

A taxi would cost between 67 to 90 euros, and it would take about 60 minutes from old town to Coruña Port. All taxis in Santiago are called through a single number. 981569292. I don´t promise they could speak English.

About timetables. There should be one (current timetables) at 14:48 arriving at 15:28, then 15:20 arriving 15:55, and 16:43 arriving 17:18. Close the old town (at about one kilometre) you have the bus station with also hourly services. It takes 60 minutes and leaves you opposite the train station.

http://en.arriva.es/

A taxi would cost between 67 to 90 euros, and it would take about 60 minutes from old town to Coruña Port. All taxis in Santiago are called through a single number. 981569292. I don´t promise they could speak English.

About timetables. There should be one (current timetables) at 14:48 arriving at 15:28, then 15:20 arriving 15:55, and 16:43 arriving 17:18. Close the old town (at about one kilometre) you have the bus station with also hourly services. It takes 60 minutes and leaves you opposite the train station.

http://en.arriva.es/

thank you for all your help - I really apreaciate it:)

its nice knowing there is a train at 14.48 from Santiago also!

Or should we miss the train the taxis does not cost an arm and a leg:D

Shouldnt be any problem speaking Spanish as I lived there for 4 years;)

• 3 weeks later...
I sent an email to Brendan to get more info on his tours and haven't heard from him. If anyone has his email address could you please send it to me - possibly I have the wrong address. My email address is susanchessin2002 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks

Susan

This is the email I have:

guidedgalicia@yahoo.com

Keltic: Thank you so much for your very thoughtful response. It is truly a difficult choice! I appreciated the viewpoint of someone who lives in the area and has wonderful first hand knowledge.

Amy

Not on this cruise but will be their in June so just reading what others are doing.

Also Amy do you know Barry from Laura’s House Bakery ?

I have another question:

How much will it be to take a taxi from VIgo to Pontevedra and back and from La Coruna to Santiago de Compostela and back?????

Is there a way to pre book them???

It depends if the taxi waits for you in Santiago. Just one way is about 90 euros. From La Coruña it´s about 67 euros, and to Pontevedra less than 30 euros. If you want the taxi waits your in Santiago for a couple of hours you have to arrange it. However in Vigo, you have a big board at the terminal with the taxi prices.

A good idea, is calculating an euro for each kilometre (maximum).

It depends if the taxi waits for you in Santiago. Just one way is about 90 euros. From La Coruña it´s about 67 euros, and to Pontevedra less than 30 euros. If you want the taxi waits your in Santiago for a couple of hours you have to arrange it. However in Vigo, you have a big board at the terminal with the taxi prices.

A good idea, is calculating an euro for each kilometre (maximum).

once again, thank you:)

• 2 weeks later...
Whoever posted a couple of websites about tour information for Vigo (many pages ago) could you post them again?I've tried searching for the post but there are just too many pages. Thanks a lot.:) Sheryl

We hope to go to

the pilgrim city of Santiago de Compostella, looking for best way.

ps Sheryl is that charlotte nc

Archived