Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruising with an arrest warrant

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again
www.carnival.com http:>http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLU...js/quicksearch js.ashx" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="320" height="300" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />Visit Carnival.comhttp://www.carnival.com?cid=So_FB_NA_O_CountdownWidget_24&DMP=5009,6059,7001,,8011">Carnival.com> to see our Caribbean" target="_blank">http://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/caribbean.aspx?

Visit Carnival.com to see our Caribbean cruises.

cid=So_FB_NA_O_CountdownWidget_24&DMP=5009,6059,7001,,8011">Caribbean cruises.

Past Cruises:
Carnvial Glory - January 2008
Carnival Inspiration - September 2008
Carnival Destiny - June 2010
Carnival Liberty - April 2011

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know the answer to your question but I have always wondered this. What do they see on the screens when they scan your passport? The other thing I have wondered is if you are a registered offender are you allowed to cruise? (this is what happens when you get bored and start thinking of all kinds of things...LOL)

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow. I can't imagine not getting something like that sorted out. Seems like that could create a real fun time at Customs when reentering the county. Likewise for the girlfriend if someone wanted to make an example out of it.

Anyway, the ONLY piece of advice you get on this forum that you should listen to is the one which says he needs to talk to a real lawyer well before trying to leave the country.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The only issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!!

PS: Personally, I couldn't give a rats a$$, but there are those that do.

ETA: Of course, this is ONLY my OPINION!

Last edited by BoooBooKitEFk; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.

The 'Better than Navy' cruises:

Jun '04 - RCL Grandeur of the Seas (Caribbean)
Jun '06 - RCL Explorer of the Seas (Caribbean)
Jul '07 - RCL Empress of the Seas (Bermuda)
Jul '10 - CCL Glory (Canada)

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

Ashley

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

A friend of mine was arrested as she left the Carnival Sensation a few months ago as she was clearing customs. That was for a Failure to appear warrant for D.W.I. which is a little more severe than a failure to pay so they do check.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I doubt he'll be flagged getting on the ship, it's getting off where he might encounter the problems. And it's not when he goes through customs, unless he's smuggling anything, it's when he goes through immigration.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpalo View Post
On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

Ashley
I'm agreeing with both poster above - I don't believe the problem will come in boarding, it might come in leaving the ship. If he were going thru Canadian Customs/Immigration he'd not make it. ken

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is a Federal warrent? If not then dont worry about it.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Bahamas on 04/12/2015 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Bahamas cruises.

The Whale Tale Club's Unofficial Official Vodka Taster

Previous Cruises:

February 2003 - Carnival Fantasy - Freeport & Nassau, Bahama's
February 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy - Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico
September 2010 - Carnival Liberty - Half Moon Cay, Bahama's; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, PR ; & Grand Turk Island, Turks & Cacios.
February 2011 - Carnival Ecstasy - Was to have been to Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico...however due to Galveston fog turned to a 3 day to nowhere....
October 2011 Carnival Triumph -Progresso & Cozumel Mexico
April 2013 - Carnival Magic - Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel, Mexico
April 2014 - Carnival Magic - Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize & Cozumel, Mexico
August 2014 - Carnival Triumph - Progreso & Cozumel, Mexico

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Days View Post
Is a Federal warrent? If not then dont worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1518 View Post
Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

It's posts like these that make me think that the best course of action is to have your friend contact a lawyer and find out the answer to this question.

I imagine that regardless of whether or not he can expect trouble on the cruise as a result of his warrant that the attorney will encourage him to pay his fine and call an end to the active arrest warrant.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think I'd believe the two posters that used to be a cop and work for the state department. But I believe in the ol' saying "better safe than sorry."
Carnival Triumph January 2012
Carnival Conquest May 2011
Carnival Victory May 2010
Carnival Conquest November 2009
Carnival Ecstasy March 2009
Carnival Ecstasy Oct 2008

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies. One more thing if he does pay it before we leave does a warrant get lifted as soon as its paid or should he bring the receipt?

I told her I would post her question on here and let her know what the responses were when she calls me tonight.

Thanks again!!
www.carnival.com http:>http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLU...js/quicksearch js.ashx" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="320" height="300" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />Visit Carnival.comhttp://www.carnival.com?cid=So_FB_NA_O_CountdownWidget_24&DMP=5009,6059,7001,,8011">Carnival.com> to see our Caribbean" target="_blank">http://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/caribbean.aspx?

Visit Carnival.com to see our Caribbean cruises.

cid=So_FB_NA_O_CountdownWidget_24&DMP=5009,6059,7001,,8011">Caribbean cruises.

Past Cruises:
Carnvial Glory - January 2008
Carnival Inspiration - September 2008
Carnival Destiny - June 2010
Carnival Liberty - April 2011

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

As a police officer I would like to add; once the warrant is discovered and IF he is detained. It will be up to the agency holding the warrant to determine if they want to come pick him up (Extradite him). Most agencies will only travel certain distances.

If he is aware of the issue I too feel like he should get it resolved before going on the cruise.

Carnival Conquest Oct 24-31, 2010
Carnival Ecstasy Oct 22-27, 2011
Carnival Fascination Oct 27-Nov 1, 2012

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1518 View Post

Really? Cause I had a friend who had a warrent in Bell County Texas and embarked and disembarked in Galveston, TX...walked right off the ship into customs with his DL and no problem what so ever.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Bahamas on 04/12/2015 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Bahamas cruises.

The Whale Tale Club's Unofficial Official Vodka Taster

Previous Cruises:

February 2003 - Carnival Fantasy - Freeport & Nassau, Bahama's
February 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy - Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico
September 2010 - Carnival Liberty - Half Moon Cay, Bahama's; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, PR ; & Grand Turk Island, Turks & Cacios.
February 2011 - Carnival Ecstasy - Was to have been to Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico...however due to Galveston fog turned to a 3 day to nowhere....
October 2011 Carnival Triumph -Progresso & Cozumel Mexico
April 2013 - Carnival Magic - Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel, Mexico
April 2014 - Carnival Magic - Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize & Cozumel, Mexico
August 2014 - Carnival Triumph - Progreso & Cozumel, Mexico

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilone View Post
Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person

cruisincory
8/25/08- Carnival Inspiration- Grand Cayman and Cozumel
8/23/09- Carnival Sensation- Freeport and Nassau, The Bahamas

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction." -- Bob Marley

"Those who have not yet accepted their own imperfection are the first ones to judge and criticize the faults of others"

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pay it

Just contact the local PD Pay it and keep all the paper work with you that it was Paid...

38+ Cruises and still going

7/22/14 Miracle to Alaska part 2
12/9/13 Imagination
9/26/13 Inspiration
7/4/13 Make the move RCL to Alaska
5/4/13 Carnival Paradise
9/6/12 Esctacy first time &OPEN BAR CRUISE
5/14/12 Imagination
9/29/11 Destiny OPEN BAR CRUISE 2
2/26/11 Freedom OPEN BAR CRUISE 1
11/15/10 Imagination
11/8/10 Triumph New Orleans
09/2/10 Glory out of NYC
05/10 Imagination
11/16/09 Inspiration
06/11/09 Carnival Triumph out of NYC
05/10/09 Carnival Triumph
11/11/08 Imagination
6/14/08 Fantasy
11/03/07 Carnival Triumph
06/12/07 Miracle again
12/4/2006 Fascination
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
7/2000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm a law enforcement officer and I'm with Happyg Lucky here ... I would have the boyfriend call New Jersey and find out the extradition area. For, I'm guessing a VOP DUI warrant, it's been my experience that they will not pay to get him from Florida...However, he should try to take care of it.. why live with that lurking over his shoulder.

If it's a more serious offense then what we are being told though, he should definately take care of it...

Inspiration- 09/22/08 - Her first cruise- Grand Cayman/Cozumel
Valor - 5/30/2010 - Western Caribbean
Liberty - 5/28/2011- Eastern Caribbean Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ght=angry+bird
Liberty - 12/17/2011- Western Caribbean Christmas Cruise Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ght=angry+bird
Valor - 5/26/2012- Southern Caribbean (Aruba/Curacao/LaRomana/Grand Turk!) 526ers!
Victory- 3/14/2013- GIRLS CRUISE to Key West/Cozumel
Imagination - 11/29/2013- Nassau