Will Azamara Passenger Numbers Take A Hit Over The Updated Loyalty Program?

TxnAquarian

I have yet to take my first cruise with Azamara, which will be in December on the Journey. But I feel like I jumped into this line to "get my feet wet" at a very volatile time for the line. Ever since I made this booking about 6 months ago, it seems as if they have done everything they can do to annoy their guests.

Now I am seeing a lot of people on here canceling future cruises or contemplating canceling. I feel really bad for everyone who feels angry over the loyalty program changes. I don't ever really cruise on any one line enough to earn loyalty, but I can imagine how aggravating it would be to lose benefits that you had become accustomed to.

From information released from the company this year, it sounds as if bookings have increased substantially due to unique things the line offers, like Azamazing Evenings (one of the main reasons we booked). But with the anger over the decline of benefits being offered, do you think this will be a tough situation for the line to overcome, with a major loss of bookings? I have a 2016 booked on the Journey, but am probably going to cancel and book with Crystal - and I haven't even set foot on an Azamara ship yet. The sentiment on these boards is giving me a very negative feeling. In all honesty, if I hadn't made my final payment for my upcoming cruise already, I would probably be inclined to cancel and stick with Celebrity.

Also, loyalty program issues aside, is there really any feasible way for Azamara to compete with newer ships from Seabourn and Oceania? It seems as if this line is hanging on by thread, and this latest mess seems like something that AZ might not be able to recover from.

Michael

Edited by TxnAquarian

If you want my honest opinion, currently I'm not 100% sure about what will happen to Azamara. I would have thought any speculation over the line's long term viability was nonsense until recently, but given the speed that RCCL have just sold off the Century (which seems to have taken everyone in the industry by surprise) I wouldn't have too much faith in RCCL's long term strategic vision for the brand and their ability to make logical decisions.

Some commentators around CC have been unjustifiabily critical of the Azamara cruisers and posters' fixation on the loss of a few benefits in the loyalty revamp, but for me it has been a continuous string of missteps by AZ management that makes me think someone is asleep at the wheel.

I can't help wondering if one of the bigger cheeses in the organisation at some stage may decide to pull the plug on the venture. I would like to see some non-corporate business analysis of the numbers for Azamara (if available) before I believe any company spin as to their profitability.

Edited by ikelmay

I have yet to take my first cruise with Azamara, which will be in December on the Journey. But I feel like I jumped into this line to "get my feet wet" at a very volatile time for the line. Ever since I made this booking about 6 months ago, it seems as if they have done everything they can do to annoy their guests.

Now I am seeing a lot of people on here canceling future cruises or contemplating canceling. I feel really bad for everyone who feels angry over the loyalty program changes. I don't ever really cruise on any one line enough to earn loyalty, but I can imagine how aggravating it would be to lose benefits that you had become accustomed to.

From information released from the company this year, it sounds as if bookings have increased substantially due to unique things the line offers, like Azamazing Evenings (one of the main reasons we booked). But with the anger over the decline of benefits being offered, do you think this will be a tough situation for the line to overcome, with a major loss of bookings? I have a 2016 booked on the Journey, but am probably going to cancel and book with Crystal - and I haven't even set foot on an Azamara ship yet. The sentiment on these boards is giving me a very negative feeling. In all honesty, if I hadn't made my final payment for my upcoming cruise already, I would probably be inclined to cancel and stick with Celebrity.

Also, loyalty program issues aside, is there really any feasible way for Azamara to compete with newer ships from Seabourn and Oceania? It seems as if this line is hanging on by thread, and this latest mess seems like something that AZ might not be able to recover from.

Michael

Hi, The changes don't take place until Jan 2015 so my advice would be to enjoy your December Journey cruise while you can. Unless Rccl has upset not only Azamara loyalists but the wonderful Captains and crew on both ships you will be in for a treat. I have been on both ships (Journey 3 times) and the experience on board is truly wonderful, which leads to a greatly enhanced cruise.

I sailed on Oceania Riviera last year but would not try them again. The crew and staff treated the pax with disdain and gave the impression that they were doing one a favour to be allowed on board. Which is an experience I have never come across before on our 20+ cruises.

Most of our cruises have been on either Celebrity or Azamara and it will be a great loss if Rccl ruins things for Azamara. I just wish we had another Az cruise booked before the end of 2014.

Sadly, I would not book a cruise for an Azamazing evening, as having experienced quite a few we now join the increasing numbers of passengers who elect not to participate, and remain on board to enjoy the quiet facilities, or where viable to go ashore locally.

It was an interesting concept which initially delivered, but the logistics of transporting hundreds of passengers to an onshore venue often some distance away for a couple of hours or less and then back to the ship make it not worth the hassle.

If Azamara want to cut costs as indicated by the furore over the LCV benefits they should examine these evenings because undoubtedly they cost a considerable amount to organise and deliver, and often much better and more authentic experiences are delivered by local entertainers brought on board in port evenings.

I agree with Alfredo1 entirely,ditch the Azamazing Evenings. Since they were introduced last year I have experience 4 of them and only ever enjoyed the one in Gibraltar. On my next cruise I have decided not to participate and will be interested to see how many others are enjoying a peaceful evening onboard with an unhurried meal in the dining room and unlimited drinks without having to endure a scrum to get them.

I'll give one data point. Just talked with my TA, who is the president and owner of one of America's largest cruise agencies. He said he has "hundreds and hundreds" of Azamara cruises booked for his clients, and not one has been cancelled as a result of the LCV announcement.

I think at this stage actual cancellations maybe low - how many know of the changes,certainly several still have not had the email. I note a cancellation posted by one guest on our roll call.

I think the issue maybe longer term but who knows

one person left a RC for 2016.. so far out that any of us could cancel for any reason from health to a better cruise.. if people really cared they would be canceling this winter..

Those of us who book in the UK lose £500 if we cancel. We do care about the loss of free internet and free laundry, but it is not worth £500.