Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Checkmate1955 Checkmate1955 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 453
Default Carnival Cruises and Mobile Alabama Future?

I understand that Mobile, Alabama has built a new cruise terminal for Carnival Cruise Lines... When if ever do you expect Carnival to use Mobile, Alabama for a home operation of one of their newer ships?

It seems to me that Mobile is an ideal location for Georgia, Mississippi Alabama and Tennessee residents to drive for a cruise and that a larger newer ship would work well for all.. The one ship that is now using the Mobile Terminal I believe is still the Holiday and it has been home ported there for several years... The Conquest would be nice but it is home ported in or near Houston...
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
mariemorgan's Avatar
mariemorgan mariemorgan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,246
Default

Holiday is going to be or already sold so a different ship will be placed there but nobody knows what ship or when.
__________________
Past Cruises:
Carnival Glory January 13, 2013
Carnival Conquest Dec 11 2011
Carnival Fantasy Jan 19 09
Carnival Fantasy Jan 31 08
GRAND PRINCESS - DEC 09 06
RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS-DEC 11 05
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cruiser from MS Cruiser from MS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hernando, MS
Posts: 802
Default

I have heard from someone I work with that the Holiday is leaving this coming June. I to hope Carnival will put one of their Conquest or Spirit class ships in Mobile. I have never cruised out of Mobile but it would be so easy for us to get there from north Mississippi. It also helps that we love the Alabama Gulf Coast. It would be soooooo nice to get off of the ship, spend the night in Gulf Shores and of course eat at LuLu's...
__________________
Carnival, Conquest 1/22/2006
Carnival, Liberty 1/20/2007
Carnival, Miracle 1/10/2008
Princess, Golden Princes 3/18/2009
Carnival, Triumph 2/26/2011
Holland American, Westerdam 2/19/2012
Carnival Magic, 5/19/2013


Last edited by Cruiser from MS; January 2nd, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Checkmate1955 Checkmate1955 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 453
Default LuLu's and Gulf coast and Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser from MS View Post
I have heard from someone I work with that the Holiday is leaving this coming June. I to hope Carnival will put one of their Conquest or Spirit class ships in Mobile. I have never cruised out of Mobile but it would be so easy for us to get there from north Mississippi. It also helps that we love the Alabama Gulf Coast. It would be soooooo nice to get off of the ship, spend the night in Gulf Shores and of course eat at LuLu's...
You are right... once you have visited Alabama's Gulf coast then everything else from Texas to Alabama is left wanting... Let us all hope that Carnival will dock a newer ship in Mobile... great location...
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

Last I heard Mobile was scheduled for a Fantasy class ship.

There seems to be some variety of difficulty getting the 950 foot ships turned about in the channel.

There have been a number of threads here about that. Let me see if I can dig one up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...labama+fantasy
__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Cruiser from MS Cruiser from MS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hernando, MS
Posts: 802
Default

I have read that they are enlarging the channel so a larger ship can turn around. I sure hope that is true....
__________________
Carnival, Conquest 1/22/2006
Carnival, Liberty 1/20/2007
Carnival, Miracle 1/10/2008
Princess, Golden Princes 3/18/2009
Carnival, Triumph 2/26/2011
Holland American, Westerdam 2/19/2012
Carnival Magic, 5/19/2013

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
lhaddon's Avatar
lhaddon lhaddon is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 384
Default

I also live in Mississippi and would LOVE to have a larger ship in Mobile. We loved crusing on the Conquest when it was in New Orleans (only a 3 hour drive). We are crusing on the Holiday out of Mobile in March but would love the option of having a newer larger ship at a drive-to port.


Lora
__________________



MAKING PLATINUM BEFORE DECEMBER 2013!


August 31, 2002 Carnival Holiday
October 10, 2004 Carnival Conquest
September 18, 2005 Carnival Conquest
November 26, 2006 Norwegian Sun
September 29, 2007 Carnival Glory
March 15, 2008 Carnival Holiday
March 14, 2009 Carnival Glory
September 1, 2011 Carnival Triumph
September 23, 2012 Carnival Conquest
May 23, 2013 Carnival Elation
August 29, 2013 Carnival Elation - PLATINUM!!
August 28, 2014 Carnival Elation
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
xray xray is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hattiesburg, MS.
Posts: 351
Talking

We live 90 miles NW of Mobile in Mississippi so putting a Spirit Class ship there would be ideal. My only problem is we have done the Western Caribbean and will not go back. I know...picky picky picky!!!!!! Now, if they were to do a 10 day to the Eastern or Southern..heck yes we would. I too have heard of expansion plans for the Port and Airport.

Cliff
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
mcfam5's Avatar
mcfam5 mcfam5 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,386
Default We just booked on the Holiday . . .

We booked our summer cruise on the Holiday last week. Our PVP actually told us the Holiday is scheduled for a remodel. He didn't say anything about her pulling out of Mobile though!
__________________
Jen

Our Past Cruises . . .
04/1992 CCL Carnivale ~ Nassau, Freeport
10/2007 CCL Glory ~ St. Thomas, St. Maarteen, Nassau
08/2008 CCL Holiday ~ Cozumel, Calica
11/2008 CCL Holiday ~ Cozumel
08/2009 CCL Legend ~ Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
04/2010 CCL Inspiration ~ Cozumel
11/2010 CCL Fantasy ~ Freeport, Nassau, Key West
04/2011 CCL Legend ~ Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize
10/2011 CCL Fantasy ~ Bermuda
11/2011 CCL Conquest ~ Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay (PLATINUM CRUISE!)
08/2012 CCL Liberty ~ Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassua (diverted from Grand Turk!)
11/2012 CCL Dream ~ St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau
11/2013 CCL Sunshine
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfam5 View Post
We booked our summer cruise on the Holiday last week. Our PVP actually told us the Holiday is scheduled for a remodel. He didn't say anything about her pulling out of Mobile though!
Yeah... she's going into dry dock for an extensive renovation, along with the Celebration. They are both going to Ibero Cruise, a new Carnival 'partner' in Spain.
__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
lhaddon's Avatar
lhaddon lhaddon is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 384
Default

The Holiday got a remodel after FEMA borrowed it following Hurricane Katrina. I can't believe they are gonna remodel it again. Oh well....stranger things have happened. Maybe the company that is buying it wants it remodeled before it moves to Spain or wherever.

I'm so glad that we are gonna be able to cruise on Holiday once more before it's moved.

Lora
__________________



MAKING PLATINUM BEFORE DECEMBER 2013!


August 31, 2002 Carnival Holiday
October 10, 2004 Carnival Conquest
September 18, 2005 Carnival Conquest
November 26, 2006 Norwegian Sun
September 29, 2007 Carnival Glory
March 15, 2008 Carnival Holiday
March 14, 2009 Carnival Glory
September 1, 2011 Carnival Triumph
September 23, 2012 Carnival Conquest
May 23, 2013 Carnival Elation
August 29, 2013 Carnival Elation - PLATINUM!!
August 28, 2014 Carnival Elation
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaddon View Post
The Holiday got a remodel after FEMA borrowed it following Hurricane Katrina. I can't believe they are gonna remodel it again. Oh well....stranger things have happened. Maybe the company that is buying it wants it remodeled before it moves to Spain or wherever.

I'm so glad that we are gonna be able to cruise on Holiday once more before it's moved.

Lora
It's supposed to be a very extensive rework for both ships, far more than a run of the mill dry dock.

You can bet that the Farcus Funnel will be gone along with all of the typical Farcus interior touches.
__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
mcfam5's Avatar
mcfam5 mcfam5 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,386
Default Question . . .

If the future of the Holiday is uncertain, should I also look at my summer Holiday cruise as uncertain?? Would they sell tickets if they were uncertain if the ship was still to be in the Mobiile port in August?

I am reading some conflicting information on other threads and it's making me sweat!

__________________
Jen

Our Past Cruises . . .
04/1992 CCL Carnivale ~ Nassau, Freeport
10/2007 CCL Glory ~ St. Thomas, St. Maarteen, Nassau
08/2008 CCL Holiday ~ Cozumel, Calica
11/2008 CCL Holiday ~ Cozumel
08/2009 CCL Legend ~ Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
04/2010 CCL Inspiration ~ Cozumel
11/2010 CCL Fantasy ~ Freeport, Nassau, Key West
04/2011 CCL Legend ~ Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize
10/2011 CCL Fantasy ~ Bermuda
11/2011 CCL Conquest ~ Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay (PLATINUM CRUISE!)
08/2012 CCL Liberty ~ Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassua (diverted from Grand Turk!)
11/2012 CCL Dream ~ St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau
11/2013 CCL Sunshine
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfam5 View Post
If the future of the Holiday is uncertain, should I also look at my summer Holiday cruise as uncertain?? Would they sell tickets if they were uncertain if the ship was still to be in the Mobiile port in August?

I am reading some conflicting information on other threads and it's making me sweat!

I would expect that you'll be fine. We've had this discussion previously on the board. Celebration will be the first to go and there's no set date for that yet!
__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
beccadoby's Avatar
beccadoby beccadoby is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 948
Default Holiday and Celebration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Mach View Post
I would expect that you'll be fine. We've had this discussion previously on the board. Celebration will be the first to go and there's no set date for that yet!
Well, I can help you out a little here.
The last date I can book The Celebration is in April 2008.
Holiday on the other hand, I can book until April 30, 2009.
__________________
FAV cruiseline: DCL
FAV ship: Allure
Least fav ship: Sensation
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Checkmate1955 Checkmate1955 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 453
Default RCCL vs Carnival in Mobile Al.

With Carnival dragging it's foot on the new contract with the City of Mobile and the uncertain status of the Holiday.... I would like to see RCCL move in and move in quick... I do not wish to continue having only one choice in Mobile when it comes to cruising... We need RCCL
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
djm66's Avatar
djm66 djm66 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 11
Default

We cruised on the Holiday in October and was told a Fantasy ship was going to Mobile... I live in North Florida and that would be great.......
__________________
Dottie
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Jabee's Avatar
Jabee Jabee is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Posts: 1,972
Question Mobile can not handle another ship

I was just on the Holiday, with 1800 passengers (of course it is listed as a 1400 passenger ship.) We had about 500 children on board also.

The problem I see, is that the Parking Garage was PACKED. Every parking space was full. How would you even dream of putting a Fantasy size ship (2,000 passengers) when you barely have room for a Holiday size?

There are no public plans in place to retire the Holiday yet, and I do not see it happening until Mobile does something about the parking.

Look for that ship to remain. It is a CASH COW for Carnival. They own the ship, operate it at 120% capacity on Average, and it does simple four and five day trips where gambling is the biggest business on board. They provide few venues for entertainment to keep the Casino packed.

I know the plans are for two ships to go to Spain, and I have no doubt that the Holiday will be the second ship, but I would keep my ears to the wind, that they will instead send a Fantasy class ship instead so they can keep operating from Mobile.
__________________
JaBee

PREVIOUS CRUISES

Carnival Elation (1) Feb. 12, 2011
Carnival Triumph (2) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carrnival Fantasy (4) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009; Nov. 11, 2009
Carnival Holiday (2) Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (2) Oct 9-16, 2005; Feb. 12, 2012

Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabee View Post
I was just on the Holiday, with 1800 passengers (of course it is listed as a 1400 passenger ship.) We had about 500 children on board also.

The problem I see, is that the Parking Garage was PACKED. Every parking space was full. How would you even dream of putting a Fantasy size ship (2,000 passengers) when you barely have room for a Holiday size?

There are no public plans in place to retire the Holiday yet, and I do not see it happening until Mobile does something about the parking.

Look for that ship to remain. It is a CASH COW for Carnival. They own the ship, operate it at 120% capacity on Average, and it does simple four and five day trips where gambling is the biggest business on board. They provide few venues for entertainment to keep the Casino packed.

I know the plans are for two ships to go to Spain, and I have no doubt that the Holiday will be the second ship, but I would keep my ears to the wind, that they will instead send a Fantasy class ship instead so they can keep operating from Mobile.
Carnival has been a tremendous partner for the ports from which they sail. They've invested millions in upgrades to manage the increasing numbers of passengers who flow through these cruise terminals yearly. I'd be surprised if Carnival didn't participate in upgrading parking and what ever facilities are necessary to accommodate as Fantasy class ship in Mobile.

You're correct, both the Celebration and the Holiday are destined for IberoCruise, Carnival's new partner in Spain. You're also correct that the Holiday will be the second to go. She probably has another two years in Mobile before heading out for an extensive refit. That should give Carnival and Mobile plenty of time to make whatever changes are necessary to manage the growth.
__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
futaba951 futaba951 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1955 View Post
With Carnival dragging it's foot on the new contract with the City of Mobile and the uncertain status of the Holiday.... I would like to see RCCL move in and move in quick... I do not wish to continue having only one choice in Mobile when it comes to cruising... We need RCCL

I had heard last year that RCI was looking at Mobile for the Enchantment, but the issues with the turning basin upriver made it a non-starter. Enchantment is 990 feet and the turning basin is 1000 feet. Too tight a fit.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.