Verizon Travel Pass for Bermuda

AnnetteSC

Just wanted to share some info on available options for cell service while in Bermuda if you have Verizon. It's called Travel Pass.

The short version, for $10 a day (24 hr period), you get to use your plan and all features of it while you're there.

I have unlimited talk and text with 6GB so I'll have the same in Bermuda. I'll keep WIFI Assist off (for Apple devices) so I don't run the risk of "surprises" on my bill. :D

I hope this helps someone who hasn't signed up for the cruiseline internet package, like me. :)

We've looked into this for an upcoming cruise, but I've read posts (not sure which carriers) where service has been all but nonexistent. Has anyone actually used the service to report on how well Verizon works from Bermuda? $10 a day is a steal, *unless* it doesn't work.

We've looked into this for an upcoming cruise, but I've read posts (not sure which carriers) where service has been all but nonexistent. Has anyone actually used the service to report on how well Verizon works from Bermuda? $10 a day is a steal, *unless* it doesn't work.

We had excellent service all three days and used voice, text and data, on the ship, at the dockyard and at Horseshoe Bay. Just received our bill and there were no surprises there either, exactly $30 more than usual. Hope that helps!

Edited by ekmmom

Like ekmmom said, service is very good. In fact, my best friend has been on the Breakaway and Bermuda this past week. She has used the service and was sending me texts and pictures from all over the island and from the ship (while docked in Bermuda). She said she had no problems at all! :)

I signed us up for the travel pass tonite for our trip in 2 weeks - just keep in mind the "Internet " access on the ship wont carry over to the Island so if you want internet access on the ship you will need to either take it as a perk or purchase it, There IS the ships internal wifi but thats a different animal too!!

I signed us up for the travel pass tonite for our trip in 2 weeks - just keep in mind the "Internet " access on the ship wont carry over to the Island so if you want internet access on the ship you will need to either take it as a perk or purchase it, There IS the ships internal wifi but thats a different animal too!!

Yes, the ship WiFi internet and the Travel Pass internet are different networks but when you are docked in Bermuda if you have the Travel Pass you will have cellular internet access on the ship from the Travel Pass roaming. What you won't have is Travel Pass roaming when at sea.

Edited by Charles4515

We were on a cruise 7/7- 7/19...and just got back from Bermuda yesterday....

so since it was all within one month- we had a one month international plan...

If we were just doing Bermuda, the daily option would have worked best!

It's nice to have a few choices....

Bernadette

We were on a cruise 7/7- 7/19...and just got back from Bermuda yesterday....

so since it was all within one month- we had a one month international plan...

If we were just doing Bermuda, the daily option would have worked best!

It's nice to have a few choices....

Bernadette

We originally were going to do the International plan but it would have been more $ - We have 5 phones so travel pass is 150 as opposed to 200 - but the bigger issue is the limits of Talk/Text the International plan has as opposed to Travel Pass with using your own plan -

We have the Internet deal on the breakaway as a perk. We also have Verizon. If we get this $30 a day deal with Verizon how will that work while on the ship when docked in Bermuda. Will my $30 a day kick in or will I be using the free ship perk we got? I'd hate to dip into the limited minutes the ship gives us when I want the Verizon perk. Hopefully someone knows what I'm meaning. Lol

We have the Internet deal on the breakaway as a perk. We also have Verizon. If we get this $30 a day deal with Verizon how will that work while on the ship when docked in Bermuda. Will my $30 a day kick in or will I be using the free ship perk we got? I'd hate to dip into the limited minutes the ship gives us when I want the Verizon perk. Hopefully someone knows what I'm meaning. Lol

When you are connected to the ships Wifi you will be using the ships minutes. Your $30 will kick in when you are not connected to WiFi. Ergo, don't connect to the ships WiFi if you want to use the Verizon service. Stay logged out of the ships wifi when docked in Bermuda. You can turn off WiFi on your phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The Verizon Travel Pass is $10 per 24 hour period. You will receive a text from Verizon and you confirm to activate the travel pass. You will then have access to your domestic calling, text and data plan.

Thanks! I thought if I turned off wifi I wouldn't be able

To text or get on Internet. Lol

Just want to clarify - you can be in airplane mode with wifi on while on the ship and not be logged into the network, therefore not using your internet minutes. This would still allow you to use iconcierge. If you want to use your Verizon data plan, I think you would have to turn off wifi to use the cellular data.

• 2 weeks later...
my gf has verizon prepaid. i cannot find for sure i this works for prepaid as well?

we are not heavy phone users but if i can have access to info on the island for 10 bucks id do it.

Best way to do it is to call verizon thay can tell you if you can do it

I called Verizon (Internat'l Support dept) about the Travel Pass and they informed me that it will not work on my flip phone as mine is not a smart phone. They mentioned to me that my flip phone is on a different signal than the smart phones. When I asked if I could just use my flip phone and pay as you go, they told me that wont work either because its the signal thats used on my flip phone. The rep told me that short of buying a smart phone, they could send me a loaner phone for $19.95 for the month which would be a smart phone, then I could pay as you go $.50 to sent a text, $.05 to receive a text and phone calls @ $1.79 per minute, or I could get the Travel Pass for the $10.00.

I called Verizon (Internat'l Support dept) about the Travel Pass and they informed me that it will not work on my flip phone as mine is not a smart phone. They mentioned to me that my flip phone is on a different signal than the smart phones. When I asked if I could just use my flip phone and pay as you go, they told me that wont work either because its the signal thats used on my flip phone. The rep told me that short of buying a smart phone, they could send me a loaner phone for $19.95 for the month which would be a smart phone, then I could pay as you go $.50 to sent a text, $.05 to receive a text and phone calls @ $1.79 per minute, or I could get the Travel Pass for the $10.00.

Just so you know, if you are sailing Royal Caribbean, your phone won't work on the ship either. They no longer support that technology.

Well I DO have a smartphone- an iphone. And it won't work with mine either. I still have one of the unlimited plans :D and I absolutely will NOT give it up. They are always trying to get me to. This is just the latest tactic.

Well I DO have a smartphone- an iphone. And it won't work with mine either. I still have one of the unlimited plans :D and I absolutely will NOT give it up. They are always trying to get me to. This is just the latest tactic.

What iphone do you have that isn't supported? Use the interactive trip planner to pick the countries that you are going to and the phone that you have, it will tell you if it is compatible.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/

We just got back from Bermuda (we flew down & stayed at Grotto Bay, instead of cruising this time).

We used the Verizon Travel Pass and the hotel's free wifi at the same time. It depended on what you were doing. Mobile data would go through the wifi, but calling & texts would go through the Verizon plan. For example, when I had to call to confirm our transfers back to the airport, or when I called my wife to remind her to come back to the room to change for dinner.

The travel pass also enabled you to get data all over the island.