Some Horseshoe Bay updates

Charles4515

Thanks for the information and the photos!

Question - is it a No-No to bring some snacks off the boat for a picnic on the beach or do we absolutely have to buy our food from the concession? How about bringing our own bottled water?

Thanks for the information and the photos!

Question - is it a No-No to bring some snacks off the boat for a picnic on the beach or do we absolutely have to buy our food from the concession? How about bringing our own bottled water?

You can bring bottled water and pre-packaged food off the ship, but not fresh food or fruit.

It is against the law in most ports to do so and there sometimes are dogs used at the dockyard to sniff out the offenders and you could face the possibility of being fined.

There is a couple of places when you come off the ship where you could get sandwiches and baked goods to bring with you to the beach.

Does anyone know if the concessions/chair rentals are open on Sundays? Or if the Shuttle runs on Sundays? We get in on the Dawn at 1pm on Sunday and was considering heading to the beach on that day instead of Monday. How early during the week does the Shuttle run? If we do go monday I wanted an early start, but the bus's don't start running from the Dockyard until 9 or after.

Does anyone know if the concessions/chair rentals are open on Sundays? Or if the Shuttle runs on Sundays? We get in on the Dawn at 1pm on Sunday and was considering heading to the beach on that day instead of Monday. How early during the week does the Shuttle run? If we do go monday I wanted an early start, but the bus's don't start running from the Dockyard until 9 or after.

I have not been there on a Sunday but I would like expect the concessions to be open. There is no reason they would not be. Shuttles are minibus operated by their drivers. I also would expect some to be working on Sunday. I would say that going to Horseshoe and renting chairs as late as you would get there might not be worth it on Sunday. I think Monday is your best day for Horseshoe. The shuttle minibus starts early. I caught the shuttles on two weekdays around 8:35 and was at the beach around 9:05.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got back form Bermuda. We went to HB on Wednesday June 29.

Weather was not very good, went to go get a beer, only to be greeted by a sign "no alcoholic beverages served today".

And then we left.

Someone said that the beach can become overcrowded and the umbrellas and chairs can become sold out. I believe the last week in September when we dock in Bermuda we will be the only ship.

But can someone tell me if umbrellas and chairs are sold out that is it? I am traveling with my parents and I need to make sure my mom has shade because of certain health issues.

we will be docking in Bermuda at 1pm on a monday and planning on hitting the beach soon as we get off.

what time does the beach close and the shuttles/taxi stops running?

Someone said that the beach can become overcrowded and the umbrellas and chairs can become sold out. I believe the last week in September when we dock in Bermuda we will be the only ship.

But can someone tell me if umbrellas and chairs are sold out that is it? I am traveling with my parents and I need to make sure my mom has shade because of certain health issues.

we will be docking in Bermuda at 1pm on a monday and planning on hitting the beach soon as we get off.

what time does the beach close and the shuttles/taxi stops running?

The day I was there when they ran out of umbrellas was a Wednesday with three ships. It was crowded that day. I noticed the out of umbrellas sign when I was leaving about 2:00 pm.

Also if it is windy they won't rent umbrellas. On Wednesday there was some wind and they were renting umbrellas. On Friday it was very windy, sand was blowing, they wouldn't.

When I rented my chair and umbrella in the morning I asked how long they stayed open. They said until 5:30 or 6:00.

I have never been there late in the day, never after 3:00 so I don't know about taxis and minibuses late in the day.

On the Friday when there were some wind gusts and they couldn't rent us umbrellas we went to the first cove after the main beach, it is some distance away from the facilities, and there are several shaded areas in the cove. We knew about that from past experience and exploring the South Shore beaches. We rented the light chairs instead of the loungers. Easy to carry. Those are in the first picture below. We had enough shade there without umbrellas. The fellow in the picture has to have shade. The second picture is of the cove looking out. While we were there the lifeguards put rip tide signs on the main part of the beach, we didn't see it until we were leaving, it was not up in the morning, but the cove we were in is protected, and not deep, so there were no rip tides there. Third picture shows the sign. It is good to have lifeguards on the South Shore beaches. (they were not covering the cove where we were though) They will also put up signs if there are jellyfish and remove any that wash up on the beach. The lifeguards did allow swimming that day in the area close to the facilities by the big rock formations and inside the baby beach area. It was the center part of the beach that had the warning.

7ee2e637e3b14970574d558697286bc7.jpg

aff6377856b8bf94594c45eb7fcebcf9.jpg

6d33725564e9f566d17f528a15aa2385.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

On the Friday when there were some wind gusts and they couldn't rent us umbrellas we went to the first cove after the main beach, it is some distance away from the facilities, and there are several shaded areas in the cove. We knew about that from past experience and exploring the South Shore beaches. We rented the light chairs instead of the loungers. Easy to carry. Those are in the first picture below. We had enough shade there without umbrellas. The fellow in the picture has to have shade. The second picture is of the cove looking out. While we were there the lifeguards put rip tide signs on the main part of the beach, we didn't see it until we were leaving, it was not up in the morning, but the cove we were in is protected, and not deep, so there were no rip tides there. Third picture shows the sign. It is good to have lifeguards on the South Shore beaches. (they were not covering the cove where we were though) They will also put up signs if there are jellyfish and remove any that wash up on the beach. The lifeguards did allow swimming that day in the area close to the facilities by the big rock formations and inside the baby beach area. It was the center part of the beach that had the warning.

7ee2e637e3b14970574d558697286bc7.jpg

aff6377856b8bf94594c45eb7fcebcf9.jpg

6d33725564e9f566d17f528a15aa2385.jpg

Thanks for more information. The chairs you rented are they at the same station with the loungers? and how much are yours that you rented? how far is the walk from the cove you were at from the main part of the beach?

Thanks for more information. The chairs you rented are they at the same station with the loungers? and how much are yours that you rented? how far is the walk from the cove you were at from the main part of the beach?

Yes, the same. There is only one chair and umbrella rental station. The chairs are $15 each and umbrella is $15 each. They will give you two chairs and one umbrella for $40.

The cove where we were is at the other end of the beach. You walk just past the end and that cove is there. You could keep walking all the way to Warwick Long Bay and there are more stretches of beaches and coves. Very beautiful. But you would want to do that with the chairs. The cove we did is as far as you would want to take the chairs. This will give you an idea of the distance. The cove is a little farther. You can also see that that end of Horseshoe is much less crowded than near the facilities. The second picture is taken from the cove we were in. From the side looking toward the main beach.

daa447349fc64e50958f1229c66449be.jpg

784db32064c1d29863b2b5d3b5aad783.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Charles,

Great photos but could you shrink them or crop them so that viewers (like me) do not have to screen right to view the photo and read the text?

Thanks,

SBtS

How are you viewing them? I can't replicate your issue. I tried on my computer, iPhone and iPad.

• 1 month later...
How are you viewing them? I can't replicate your issue. I tried on my computer, iPhone and iPad.

I'm viewing them on a desktop PC, 24" monitor and I have to scroll side to side too.

Edited by peg013

• 2 weeks later...

This is "our" cove! We always stop here on our walk from Warwick to Horseshoe. We love going out between the rocks in your photo and bobbing along when the waves come in! It is slightly precarious making our way out there but with aqua socks and well coordinated steps between rocks and waves, we have never had an issue. Cannot wait to visit in 6 weeks! Thanks for all the updates!

Lauri

I think $40 for two chairs and an umbrella is a little steep. I know its a vacation, but jeez. Guess they got the monopoly there.

And I was thinking that seems fair, since it is such an expensive island. I think it costs around the same to rent chairs and umbrellas on our beaches here in NJ.

And I was thinking that seems fair, since it is such an expensive island. I think it costs around the same to rent chairs and umbrellas on our beaches here in NJ.

I think it is fair too.

The new concession did raise the price but they bought new large lounge chairs. They now carry the chairs and umbrella to where you want them placed on the beach. We don't have to carry them out ourselves anymore. They set the umbrella in the sand. And we don't have to return them like we did in the past. They pick them up. A deposit is no longer required.

Edited by Charles4515