Bonine?

battybtags

What is bonine? I've seen it mentioned several times-is it similar to dramamine? What does it do for you?

bonine helps with seasickness. I took it while in Alaska and was fine 30 min after taking it. It did not make me sleepy. I believe the generic name is Meclezine. I am taking my supply of Bonine with me on all my cruises:D

Yes, I believe it is similar to Dramamine, except Dramamine made me sleepy in the past.

Holland America hands it out (free) at their front desk................they are in a little packet of two chewable tablets and they give you a few packets.

I figured ALL cruise lines did the same. Big Mistake!

When on Princess my "kids" had to pay like eight dollars for a tiny packet of them.

Point is..............if you will be sailing on HAL, don't worry about taking it along. If you need it, they provide it.

Holland America hands it out (free) at their front desk................they are in a little packet of two chewable tablets and they give you a few packets.

I figured ALL cruise lines did the same. Big Mistake!

When on Princess my "kids" had to pay like eight dollars for a tiny packet of them.

Point is..............if you will be sailing on HAL, don't worry about taking it along. If you need it, they provide it.

NCL also gives it out free. My husband thinks it's great. The first thing he does when we board it stop at reception to get some. I am lucky that I have never needed to us it.

I recently suffered from an attack of vertigo (while not even on a ship :mad: ) and was prescribed meclazine for it. Now according to the doctor, meclazine numbs your inner ear, giving you no sensation of motion but it does not help the tummy upset that the motion causes.

I have used the meclazine or bonine or whatever I can get over the counter with that ingredient on all my cruises. I take it the night before I start the cruise and continue it till 2 or 3 nights after I get home. I also carry ginger capsules on a cruise. Ginger has a natural calming effect on woozy tummys and it works wonderfully for me.

Be aware that drinking in excess is not recommended with any motion sickness product. Have a wonderful cruise.

I bring a bottle of Bonine on any excursions that involves a boat.

Costco has the generic version super cheap in the pharmacy. Just ask for it at the pharmacy counter. It's like $5-6 for a bottle with quite a few in it. I don't think you have to be a Costco member to purchase at the pharmacy.

Costco has the generic version super cheap in the pharmacy. Just ask for it at the pharmacy counter. It's like $5-6 for a bottle with quite a few in it. I don't think you have to be a Costco member to purchase at the pharmacy.

Thanks for the Costco info. I was ready to buy Bonine at a drug store.

One of the keys to Bonine is to take it prior to becoming seasick. If they are expecting very choppy/stormy seas the captain normally comes on the speaker prior to that to alert the passenger's. At that point, you might want to take Bodine or something like that if you are concerned. It lasts about 24 hours and the adult doseage is 1-2 pills. It is chewed. It can make you somewhat drowsy but the key is to take it before you have a problem.

If you purchase it, look closely at the package in terms of the expiration dates. If you don't think you will need much, just buy a small box at the pharmacy. It is similar to Dramamine.

Giger worse very well for some people but not others. Same as these other remedies.

If you do have concerns about getting sea sick or are prone to motion sickness talk to your doctor as there are also other options such as getting a presrcription for a patch.

Keith

Dramamine has 2 formulations now--the non-drowsy formula is meclazine. Dimenhydrinate is the active ingredient in regular dramamine.

At Walmart, Bonine was cheaper than non-drowsy Dramamine, so that's what I got. I checked at Costco (before I even saw this thread) and didn't see any--now I know if I want some there to ask the pharmacist. I don't think I'll need a Costco-size bottle though. Fingers crossed:p

The first night on our cruise, departed for Bermuda from Bayonne. (9/2/06) Tropical storm 120 miles to the S.W. and warned of a rough ocean. 45 minutes before sailing I took ONE tablet of bonine. It worked; I ate very well and only felt a little "off". dishes were breaking and walking a straight line difficult but I felt perfect.

The following day, I discovered many became ill and several admitted that this was the worst night ever experienced cruising. Yet I was just fine. Many who did not use something as a prophilactic (before) sailing, became ill. Bonine - great product.

Have a great cruise.

We have only cruised twice (so far!) and no one in my family gets motion sick, but I know that it's mom who everyone (including DH) turns to when they feel sick. By reading these boards before our first cruise I learned about Bonine and the real trick (as stated above) is to take it about an hour before you step foot on the ship. Everyone takes one each day for the first 2 days - no exception! (Mom's rule). By then, everyone should be aclimated to the normal motion of the ship. We haven't ever encountered rough seas, but if we did - everyone back on the Bonine ASAP! You really can't get the full benefit of the medication if you take it after you feel sick. Only problem is: now we don't know if any of us does get seasick! (And I hope we never have to find out!)

KAYEF & PrincessAmadala - What ages are your children that you gave the Bonine to? My kids are 7 & 9 and I was under the impression that you couldn't give this to children. It would be great if I could. This is our 1st cruise. My daughter always has motion sickness in a car, so I want to be proactive and have something in mind for her. Has anyone else given Bonine to children?

We bought a 100 tab bottle of 25 mg Meclizine at a local drug store a couple years back for $11.99 and they expired 03/06 (only 10 left).

So today I went to Costco and bought a 100 tab bottle of 12.5 mg Meclizine for $4.39.

I guess we'll just have to take two tabs a day instead of one...

We're flying to Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise. My 11 yr old dd and my dh are VERY prone to motion sickness. This sounds perfect for them and since we're flying I think I'll start the night before the flight too and continue for a few days while on the ship just to be safe. I think I'll hand it out before bedtime each night - just in case of drowsiness. :)

Since there is Bonine on the market that works for 24 hours...we find that it's best to take in the evening before sailing and every night thereafter if seas are rough OR if you are particularly sensitive to motion sickness. That way if it does make you drowsy (some people say it does) you just sleep well at night and you don't need to worry about it until the next night. I'm not particularly susceptible BUT I don't take chances. Our next cruise is to Bermuda and the Atlantic has quite a reputation for wave action... Also Celebrity gives them out at the Guest Relations desk if you run out or prefer not to buy your own. As an RN, I'd be remiss to not encourage you to talk with your physician (especially if you have children or are on other medications). Check for interactions and doses to prevent unnecessary problems. Most of all enjoy your cruise!

Archived