Allure of the Seas -Great Ship- but some company problems

Mauriceo

Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas is a magnificent ship, and all the services offered on board ,including the entertainments and catering are First Class.

This was my second trip on 'Allure' and I found the high class of service and care by all the crew had not changed since my last trip in 2012.

It is a good idea to be early at the main restaurants and food points to make sure of a good table and a nice view. but there is really plenty of room for all at the Windjammer and Solarium Bistro venues.

I and travelling companion were somewhat disappointed to be seated at a table for 8 in the main Adagio Dining room . We are from a French speaking country and did not know any of the others seated at that table,but we were quickly and effortlessly found a smaller table and found the Canadian couple there to be our friends for the whole trip.

Royal Caribbean is a company that inspires confidence, however there were serious problems this time.

The boarding process on Sept 28th 2014 at the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal turned into a catastrophic and agonizing start to the long anticipated pleasure of boarding our luxury Cruise Ship.

We checked in downstairs at 1 p.m. and got our Sea passes (electronic cabin key and credit card) after a few minutes and almost no queuing.

However on going up to the First Floor and the boarding gates it was clear that there was going to be a problem.

A huge number of passengers were being seated in rows of seats in a vast waiting area, but without any information about the nature of the delay and reason for the wait to board.

It was clear from the crowds of waiting passengers and the booming of a voice over the tannoy system reading out lists of names that there was a big problem somewhere.

The waiting area was not well organised and there were raised voices of protest when the order of first there, first to leave was breached on occasions, but most of us settled in passively but anxiously to a long unexplained wait.

After more than an hour our row was picked to go to the boarding point and it was then clear that a large number of the Sea Passes that we had been given had electronic faults and would have to be re-issued.

We were shown to another crowded waiting area and another hour long wait as the slow process of re-issuing the passes and delivering them to their owners went on. (thus the booking voice over the tannoy as passenger was matched with new issue Sea Pass.)

It was after 3.30 pm before we eventually managed to get past the gates and get on board.

At no time after that did the Company offer us any apology or explanation of what had gone wrong.

It seemed that as far as the Company was concerned there had been no problem.

As far as I know no explanation or apology was offered publicly by the Company.

What would it have cost them to have broadcast an apology and explanation over the ships speaker system or to have posted a note on the daily information channel available on the TV screens in every cabin.

It is customary and expected- and was needed in this case- but was not done.

One also has to ask... Why were the Sea Passes not checked for electronic faults before being issued to passengers? Once the problem became apparent, why were even more faulty cards still issued to passengers at check-in.

It was a bad start to the Cruise.

We had a Superior Ocean View Stateroom on deck 12.

It was fine. Not the biggest on the ship but OK for us.

I prefer to bring my own bath soap and toiletries but noticed that the normally provided items like this were no longer placed in the cabin, apart from a small tablet of soap.

I can understand Airlines cutting down on that is included , when the fares are pared down to the minimum,but when one has paid 2500 US$ for the Cruise and all the rest if Five Star, how much would it eat into their profits to provide some little extras and make the clients feel pampered.

That's what Five Star is all about.

It takes the shine off.

Defect ,or abandon Royal Caribbean Ship?.

What other Cruise Line has ships like Allure and Oasis (with another one being built)- so there we are.

When did this take place. I spoke to a friend who works at the Port Everglades for RCCL and he mentioned that they had a problem with the Sea Pass cards a few weeks ago. When I was there 10/12/2014, it all seemed to have been worked out! So just curious if this was before 10/12th or after.

I wasn't aware that RCI was a "5-star" cruise line! It has never been considered a luxury line.

If you defect, you need to try one of the true luxury lines.....not a "mass market" line, like RCI, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Hal or Princess! None are 5-star lines!

When did this take place. I spoke to a friend who works at the Port Everglades for RCCL and he mentioned that they had a problem with the Sea Pass cards a few weeks ago. When I was there 10/12/2014, it all seemed to have been worked out! So just curious if this was before 10/12th or after.

His post said "September 28 2014."

Edited by The Big Booper

I wasn't aware that RCI was a "5-star" cruise line! It has never been considered a luxury line.

A rep from the UK office said they are a 5 star cruise line

Advertising hype.

"5 star" to me means luxury cruiselines like Oceania (600-1200 passengers per ship). Royal Caribbean is the ultimate "mass market" cruiseline with ships like the Allure and Oasis that carry 5000 passengers. With so many passengers compromises have to be made.

Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas is a magnificent ship, and all the services offered on board ,including the entertainments and catering are First Class.

This was my second trip on 'Allure' and I found the high class of service and care by all the crew had not changed since my last trip in 2012.

It is a good idea to be early at the main restaurants and food points to make sure of a good table and a nice view. but there is really plenty of room for all at the Windjammer and Solarium Bistro venues.

I and travelling companion were somewhat disappointed to be seated at a table for 8 in the main Adagio Dining room . We are from a French speaking country and did not know any of the others seated at that table,but we were quickly and effortlessly found a smaller table and found the Canadian couple there to be our friends for the whole trip.

Royal Caribbean is a company that inspires confidence, however there were serious problems this time.

The boarding process on Sept 28th 2014 at the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal turned into a catastrophic and agonizing start to the long anticipated pleasure of boarding our luxury Cruise Ship.

We checked in downstairs at 1 p.m. and got our Sea passes (electronic cabin key and credit card) after a few minutes and almost no queuing.

However on going up to the First Floor and the boarding gates it was clear that there was going to be a problem.

A huge number of passengers were being seated in rows of seats in a vast waiting area, but without any information about the nature of the delay and reason for the wait to board.

It was clear from the crowds of waiting passengers and the booming of a voice over the tannoy system reading out lists of names that there was a big problem somewhere.

The waiting area was not well organised and there were raised voices of protest when the order of first there, first to leave was breached on occasions, but most of us settled in passively but anxiously to a long unexplained wait.

After more than an hour our row was picked to go to the boarding point and it was then clear that a large number of the Sea Passes that we had been given had electronic faults and would have to be re-issued.

We were shown to another crowded waiting area and another hour long wait as the slow process of re-issuing the passes and delivering them to their owners went on. (thus the booking voice over the tannoy as passenger was matched with new issue Sea Pass.)

It was after 3.30 pm before we eventually managed to get past the gates and get on board.

At no time after that did the Company offer us any apology or explanation of what had gone wrong.

What would it have cost them to have broadcast an apology and explanation over the ships speaker system or to have posted a note on the daily information channel available on the TV screens in every cabin.

One also has to ask... Why were the Sea Passes not checked for electronic faults before being issued to passengers? Once the problem became apparent, why were even more faulty cards still issued to passengers at check-in.

I prefer to bring my own bath soap and toiletries but noticed that the normally provided items like this were no longer placed in the cabin, apart from a small tablet of soap.

I can understand Airlines cutting down on that is included , when the fares are pared down to the minimum,but when one has paid 2500 US$ for the Cruise and all the rest if Five Star, how much would it eat into their profits to provide some little extras and make the clients feel pampered.

It takes the shine off.

What other Cruise Line has ships like Allure and Oasis (with another one being built)- so there we are.

I'm GUESSING the SeaPasses are printed a day or so before the sailing and simply transported to the port. So, everyone's passes are ready to hand out when they check in. BUT, the seating is AFTER you get your passes. If they stopped issuing passes, what do you do with the "masses"? Not let them in the building?

You found out somehow there was a problem with the passes but complain RCI didn't tell you there was a problem with the passes? :confused:

Are you owed an apology? Sure, why not. Sorry you didn't get one.

Personally while something like this would frustrate me (I would like to board early if I can), I would write this off as a "fluke" unless there's more evidence to the contrary.

We cruised on the Allure August 30, 2014 and also had a sea pass that didn't work. It would not "ding" when boarding. They replaced it within ten minutes so I don't think we had the magnitude of sea pass errors that your cruise did. Also when we got to our cabin the new sea pass wouldn't work in the door - which called for a trip down to customer service. The card was replaced and worked for the remainder of the cruise.

Definitely a bad way to start a cruise. I'm not sure what their problem is but it's a shame they haven't resolved the issues.

I agree that RCI and the other main stream lines are not 5 stars. I also don't feel the issue in question has a bearing on how many STARS and vice versa.

It doesn't seem to me that the OP is upset by the fact that there was delayed boarding... hey stuff happens. But an explanation would have gone a long way to smoothing things out. I was getting off the Explorer and there were some issues w/ customs and immigration and as we got off the escalator there was a rep just shouting "SIT DOWN!" to people. No explanation. And he wasn't even close to polite.

I don't have a pony in the race since I was already seated. But everyone was wondering what was going on and why they couldn't come off the escalator and head to the luggage, which was the original instructions. Being ordered to SIT DOWN as if everyone were a recalcitrant child didn't sit well with lots of folks. Once we finally were allowed to get our luggage it was obvious that there was an issue w/ too few Customs and Immigration officers. NOT RCI's FAULT AT ALL; but would it have been that difficult to explain "Please be seated. The progress through the terminal is being held up because there aren't enough immigration officers. We'll move you along as fast as possible?" A lot better than "SIT DOWN. EVERYONE JUST SIT DOWN."

We weren't OWED anything. But giving people an explanation, treating them like sentient adults, might have worked better than yelling at everyone.

It takes the shine off.

Please don't take this as coming across as rude but your complaints are petty. Sure you were delayed boarding but the ship leaves at a certain time regardless. Sure it may have been a pain but you got on the ship. It wasn't done to intentionally ruin your vacation.

Toiletries- All you had to do was ask your room steward for the toiletry samples that were previously provided in the room. They are still available. If you would have asked your room steward about them on the first day then this would not have been a problem.

As far as Dining. All you had to do was note your reservation that you wanted to be sat alone.

They sit people from all nationalities together at a table. If you don't tell them that you want to sit alone then they will automatically put you with others. We always have it noted on our reservation and always sit at a table for 3.

From your post you can communicate in English so I assume conversation would have been do able should you have remained at the table of 8. While you may not have wanted to speak english there may have also been people of that table that english wasn't their first language either but they will speak it to communicate.

Edited by vacation_junkie

I agree that RCI and the other main stream lines are not 5 stars. I also don't feel the issue in question has a bearing on how many STARS and vice versa.

It doesn't seem to me that the OP is upset by the fact that there was delayed boarding... hey stuff happens. But an explanation would have gone a long way to smoothing things out. I was getting off the Explorer and there were some issues w/ customs and immigration and as we got off the escalator there was a rep just shouting "SIT DOWN!" to people. No explanation. And he wasn't even close to polite.

I don't have a pony in the race since I was already seated. But everyone was wondering what was going on and why they couldn't come off the escalator and head to the luggage, which was the original instructions. Being ordered to SIT DOWN as if everyone were a recalcitrant child didn't sit well with lots of folks. Once we finally were allowed to get our luggage it was obvious that there was an issue w/ too few Customs and Immigration officers. NOT RCI's FAULT AT ALL; but would it have been that difficult to explain "Please be seated. The progress through the terminal is being held up because there aren't enough immigration officers. We'll move you along as fast as possible?" A lot better than "SIT DOWN. EVERYONE JUST SIT DOWN."

We weren't OWED anything. But giving people an explanation, treating them like sentient adults, might have worked better than yelling at everyone.

There is never an excuse for being rude. However, the OP never said anyone was rude to them, just that they had no apology and no explanation. They asked if they should leave RCI, apparently because of that issue. So it was more than a "stuff happens" according to the OP.

I agree that a cruise line, no matter how many stars it is rated, should at minimum make periodic announcements to keep waiting passengers informed of any issues, problems or delays.

Defecting wouldn't solve the problem. It seems that cruise lines, airlines, etc., all seem to be deficient in this area.

Not minimizing your concerns. Yes, an explanation/apology might have gone a long way, but clearly that didn't occur. Stuff happens, and unless the mishap ruined your vacation as a whole, let it go. Write a letter if you must, just don't have any expectations for a response from RC. Pick your battles...this one isn't worth it, IMHO.

It was on Sunday Sept. 28th 2014

If you defect, you need to try one of the true luxury lines.....not a "mass market" line, like RCI, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Hal or Princess! None are 5-star lines!

Depends what is meant technically by Five Star.

I'm GUESSING the SeaPasses are printed a day or so before the sailing and simply transported to the port. So, everyone's passes are ready to hand out when they check in. BUT, the seating is AFTER you get your passes. If they stopped issuing passes, what do you do with the "masses"? Not let them in the building?

You found out somehow there was a problem with the passes but complain RCI didn't tell you there was a problem with the passes? :confused:

Are you owed an apology? Sure, why not. Sorry you didn't get one.

Personally while something like this would frustrate me (I would like to board early if I can), I would write this off as a "fluke" unless there's more evidence to the contrary.

You're right- the customary simple apology or explanation would have gone a long way to dampening the effect of the delay- and my 'gripe'.

I have many problems with complaints about all big companies. I own a small business. If a customer complains we bend over backwards to try and make them happy if we feel it is our mistake causing a problem. If it is not a result of something we did, then we stand firm and tell them it is not our problem.

Big companies really don't car if one individual is not happy! Or if 500 are not happy. Lets face it, Royal carries millions of passengers every year. a couple of hundred thousand saying they will defect has no effect on them. The cabin will still be sold, someone will book the cruise, so they don't worry about it.

Or they give you 20% off your "next cruise in the next 6 months". Great deal if you have the vacay time for it or live close to the port. For people like me, the airfare makes the savings less than what is worth to take another Royal cruise.

Guest Services on the ship make the passes from what I have observed while on board. That was both Concierges going through the next sailings SeaPasses and arranging them in a particular order. There appeared to be far more than just suite guests cards but I could be wrong on that part. This was on Freedom recently and doubt that they were actually checking the coding in the cards.

Please don't take this as coming across as rude but your complaints are petty. Sure you were delayed boarding but the ship leaves at a certain time regardless. Sure it may have been a pain but you got on the ship. It wasn't done to intentionally ruin your vacation.

Toiletries- All you had to do was ask your room steward for the toiletry samples that were previously provided in the room. They are still available. If you would have asked your room steward about them on the first day then this would not have been a problem.

As far as Dining. All you had to do was note your reservation that you wanted to be sat alone.

They sit people from all nationalities together at a table. If you don't tell them that you want to sit alone then they will automatically put you with others. We always have it noted on our reservation and always sit at a table for 3.

From your post you can communicate in English so I assume conversation would have been do able should you have remained at the table of 8. While you may not have wanted to speak english there may have also been people of that table that english wasn't their first language either but they will speak it to communicate.

Thanks for comment- appreciated.

Depends on what you mean by petty. Maybe you're right- but the Cruise line should work to smooth things out and offer explanations when things go wrong-.

Didn't think to ask for things for the bathroom extras will know for next time.

Yes I speak (and write) in English OK-but by travelling companion only speaks French. But i agree- it was a chance to meet other people, which perhaps we missed.

The OP said that they bring their own toiletries. And commented that toiletries weren't being provided. not sure they had a problem. Just like us on Vision last week. We had our own stuff, but did notice there were no provided toiletries.

And one wonders how on earth a normal person could be expected to know that the room attendants still had them to give out on request? I certainly didn't. I figured they were gone entirely.

And now I've learned that "tannoy" must be another country's name for "PA" system.

I think that Mauriceo makes some very valid points.

If you read many of the threads currently on the front page and the next couple of pages of this forum, you will see this theme echoed again and again.

Royal Caribbean has major problems "owning" and taking responsibility for problems and errors.

The vast majority of people are happy with a simple apology and explanation. It is being left in the dark (or as posted by bighairtexan YELLED at (:eek:)) that we don't like.

You would think that a large company like RC would have learned a long time ago that simple human courtesy goes a long long long way.

The OP said that they bring their own toiletries. And commented that toiletries weren't being provided. not sure they had a problem. Just like us on Vision last week. We had our own stuff, but did notice there were no provided toiletries.

And one wonders how on earth a normal person could be expected to know that the room attendants still had them to give out on request? I certainly didn't. I figured they were gone entirely.

And now I've learned that "tannoy" must be another country's name for "PA" system.

Yes you're right about Tannoy - maybe also shows my age!

Thanks for comment about the missing toiletries- They were never much - but I agree about how one would know you have to ask Cabin attendant for them.

Guest Services on the ship make the passes from what I have observed while on board. That was both Concierges going through the next sailings SeaPasses and arranging them in a particular order. There appeared to be far more than just suite guests cards but I could be wrong on that part. This was on Freedom recently and doubt that they were actually checking the coding in the cards.

I run a small project that concerns young people and we have something called 'risk analysis' and test all possibilities of things that could go wrong before we set out or start anything.

Surely a big company like RCL would have a system in place that would test the electronic validity of the Sea Passes before issuing them to passengers.

On this occasion I heard they were introducing a type of card.If that was so all the more reason for a risk analysis to identify the need for testing them. It was not just a few cards that had faults and had to be re-issued after delivery to the passenger, but literally hundreds if not thousands of faulty cards. :confused: