Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > UK Cruising > UK Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

UK Cruisers
Learn more about cruising from the UK, or on UK-based ships, from cruisers just like you!

Old November 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Harwich to Heathrow

We're booked on Jewel of the Seas, disembarking in Harwich on Sunday 8/19/12. Is it practical to consider catching a flight departing Heathrow that same day at 12:15pm?

Or should we just plan on staying overnight somewhere and catching that same flight the next day?

Any suggestions and opinions would be most appreciated!

Doc & Lin from Arizona
Jewel of the Seas Baltic cruise 8/7 thru 8/19

Old November 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
10,000+ Club

I would hate to offer advice here as I have never had to do that journey before but I would say you would need to be at LHR at 915 for check in and depending on how you were going to be getting there you would be hard pressed. JMO. Suggest you ask on the British Isles board here where you will find others who have had to manage that route.
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
10,000+ Club

Sorry but I would have to say that's cutting it too close for me..Why not take the early morning train from Harwich (right next to where Jewel docks) into London and stay for the night and catch a flight the next day..But flying out the same day considering the distance especially a 12:15pm flight from LHR..might end up being very stressful..Enjoy the Jewel we did this same cruise last August..

Last edited by Ashland; November 22nd, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Harwich to LHR you will need to travel some way around the M25, this could take hours depending on traffic. According to a routplanner, it is 113 miles and should be completed in 1hur 45 minutes. So off the ship by say 9:00, hire car or taxi add another 15 minutes plus travel time, you could be there by 11;00am. Personally, I would stay the extra day its a bit fine IMO

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just did this cruise in May. You will be off the ship in plenty of time. I think tou arrive in Harwich at 5AM. We opted to spend a night in England and do an early morning flight the next day. The RCCL tour of London and transport to airport hotels was only about $10 more than just the transport to the airport and was a pretty enjoyable tour of the city. There is also a great pub that will pick up and deliver back to airport hotels for those folks staying overnight. Check out www.oldenglishpub.com for a peek at what is now my favorite watering hole in the world.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I live about 10 miles from Harwich, whenever we have to catch a flight out of Heathrow before 1 pm we usually stay the night before, if travelling to Heathrow by car you would need to travel down the A12 (worst road in England and the M25 2nd worst road) and if you use the trains on a Sunday you would not make it on time. Enjoy London for the day!

Lesley

SAILED

NCL - Star (Hawaii) - Nov 02
RCI - Navigator (Caribbean) - Nov 04
RCI - Radiance ofthe Seas (Hawaii) - Sept 06
NCL - Jade - Weekend Break - July 08
RCI - Explorer (Caribbean) - Nov 08
RCI - Navigator (Italy) - Oct 09
RCI - Oasis of the Seas (Caribbean) Sept 10