First cruise since my "sleeve"

Donoiv11

Had sleeve surgery in February... After that, along with a compete lifestyle change, a ton of exercise and eating healthy, I am down 101.5 lbs since February 12...

Heading on a cruise in March. Can't wait. Anyone else "in the same boat"? Any others who have had the sleeve and cruised after? Any difficulty?

That's awesome, Donoiv11! You must be so proud of your accomplishments!

I will be getting "the sleeve" (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, to the uninitiated) in about 7 months. I just had a consultation with a bariatric surgeon recently and am in the beginning of a medically supervised diet required by my insurance company.

I did see some other threads on cruise critic about cruising after weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if they were specific to the sleeve. I was surprised to see how many folks on this forum have had WLS.

Anyway, I am interested to see what responses you receive and hope you will share your experiences after your cruise (which will be around the time of my surgery).

That's awesome, Donoiv11! You must be so proud of your accomplishments!

I will be getting "the sleeve" (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, to the uninitiated) in about 7 months. I just had a consultation with a bariatric surgeon recently and am in the beginning of a medically supervised diet required by my insurance company.

I did see some other threads on cruise critic about cruising after weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if they were specific to the sleeve. I was surprised to see how many folks on this forum have had WLS.

Anyway, I am interested to see what responses you receive and hope you will share your experiences after your cruise (which will be around the time of my surgery).

Congrats on your decision... One of the best decisions I ever made. It's definitely a lifestyle change... And not a silver bullet, but its been amazing for me. Finally a way to take control of the problem and aid me in longterm success.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I had my sleeve on February 5, 2013 and my wife had her sleeve on March 5, 2013. I am down 115 lbs while she has lost 80 pounds. This is also our first cruise since the sleeve. We are excited to see how much changed it has made in how we cruise. We spent 1000.00 on alcohol on our last cruise, so there will be a lot of money saved on that. I think wth the sleeve we will eat more in the dining room than the buffet lines. Our cruise is on the Victory out of Miami on July 31, 2013.

Lot Less Cruising,lol.

Edited by huntfamily2013

I will be 8 weeks post op with the sleeve on our cruise in two weeks. I plan on doing most of my eating in the MDR instead of buffets. I also plan on walking on the track and using the exercise equipment and using the stairs when I can. You can weigh in the fitness center to keep up with your weight.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going on Celebrity Relfection this coming Saturday. I had gastric bypass in April 2012. I have been 15 pounds below my goal weight since March. I am anticipating no problems with the upcoming cruise. It's all a choice. I can choose to eat the pie, or choose not to. There will be plenty of protein to eat. All should be fine. Only thing that concerns me is that I can't control what they put in the soups and other food. Going to have to ask about sugar in just about everything.

• 4 months later...
Down 28% since surgery 1/21/14 :-) now a bit of a plateau with the 1,200 calorie deal a day but trying to hand in there. No soda, no beer, no candy, no treats.

Congratulations!!!!

Would love to hear how your upcoming cruise goes and what worked / didn't work for you!

Edited by tootts

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm going on my first cruise on May 18, and will be scheduling my sleeve immediately when I get back. I've lost 30lbs on the pre-op diet and feel like I'm in control of my eating, but I must admit I'm a little worried about eating to excess on the ship.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm going on my first cruise on May 18, and will be scheduling my sleeve immediately when I get back. I've lost 30lbs on the pre-op diet and feel like I'm in control of my eating, but I must admit I'm a little worried about eating to excess on the ship.

Too bad you could not have it done before the cruise You will not be able to over eat. You will feel the pressure if you do. Best if you stick to small portions and stick as close as you can to greens etc. that you are doing now. Drink plenty of water. Bring some Chia seeds with you and sprinkle it on your meals.

Dr. Oz web site has some interesting things on weight control.

I just ordered some BCCA he recommended to add to my protein drink.

Too bad you could not have it done before the cruise You will not be able to over eat. You will feel the pressure if you do. Best if you stick to small portions and stick as close as you can to greens etc. that you are doing now. Drink plenty of water. Bring some Chia seeds with you and sprinkle it on your meals.

Dr. Oz web site has some interesting things on weight control.

I just ordered some BCCA he recommended to add to my protein drink.

Why the Chia seeds?

I went on a cruise for Christmas while I was doing medically supervised weight loss prior to surgery. I mostly ate protein and veggies but i did eat one dessert/treat per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I saw a few who may not know what the sleeve is, basically the doctor takes about 80% of your stomach out, making it look like a long sausage in a sleeve, instead of a bag pipe bag.

Mine was done 11/28/13 and lost 150+ lbs and feel great.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be leaving on our cruise on Sept. 13th and was sleeved July 21st. Thinking I will be fine, because I have lost a taste for a lot of the foods I use to love, and sweets are almost unbearable to eat anymore. I crave meats, seafood, cheeses, and eggs of any kind...all protein, so that ought to help me. I walk every day already, so I will be doing that every morning on the walking track. I am just hoping to lose a little more weight between now and when we go...I have lost 23 so far and a lot of inches!!!