Family Friendly hotels in NOLA?????

Eugene M Lodermeier

Having some problems finding a hotel for Feb 17-20th....2005.

5 families with children leaving on the Sunday/Conquest.

Apparently a "citywide" conference on at this time. We can find some rooms near the FQ, but $150 to $250/night...ouch.

Looks like we may need to find more economical accomodations further away & taxi/shuttle for some sightseeing.

So, my question is.....

Can anyone recommend hotels (further away) that offer indoor pool for the kids, & shuttle service to the riverfront/french quarter?

Probably do the aquarium, zoo, Natchez, etc with the kids & then french quarter in evenings for the parents..

Thanks for any help or suggestions...

Assuming you've tried the usual Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheaprooms, Hotwire, etc., you probably will have to stay on the outskirts of the city.

This won't give you an immediate answer, BUT.. I would suggest that you call 1/800-810-3200 and ask them to send you the "N.O. Good Times Guide, 2005". Or - email your request to http://www.NewOrleansOnline.com

This is a really nice 100-pg. full-color complimentary booklet published by N.O. Tourism. It contains all the info you'll ever need about N.O., including rooms, etc.....AND a whole lot of coupons!:)

There's a nice LaQuinta on Crowder Blvd. on the frontage road. N.O. East area has lots of motels just off the interstate, but none that I know of that have comp trans-service to downtown.

I was trying to think of hotels that have indoor pools, as OP asked, but can't think of any. Sorry. And yes, I believe Six Flags is closed during the winter months.

Don't know about rates for your dates, but http://www.doubletreelakeside.com/ in Metairie has a view of Lake Ponchartrain, an indoor pool, and a shuttle to the French Quarter and Downtown (from which you could taxi to pier). Also, they have a Park & Cruise rate (Code CPP).
We had looked into this one...liked the shuttle service. Rate of $118.00 (CPP code) per night, however that is non-refundable & payable upon booking...no cancellations allowed...not sure about that???

Still, is $118.00 a little high? may not have any alternatives...

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't stay near Six Flags area. If you can't get a good rate downtown or in the Quarter, I would try hotels in the garden district or try the Holiday Inn Westbank which offers a frequently run shuttle to the ferry that crosses the river landing right at the Aquarium and near the pier.

Hotels in the Garden District include the Ponchartrain, Avenue Plaza, Maison St. Charles, Ramada (I think), and B&Bs such as Magnolia Mansion or Fairchild House.

The area near Six Flags is far from downtown/French Quarter and not very desirable unless you have a car or were planning on visiting the theme park.

• 1 month later...

If you are planning a lot of Quarter activites- I would not stay outside of it. try http://www.lowestfare.com I got a weekly rate that was a couple hundred less than other booking sites including the hotel's own. Location is EVERYTHING in New Orleans. Also be very careful with Priceline. And avoid at all costs the star rating of the Radisson- it is in a very bad area and it is now being awarded. Check out the star listings at http://www.biddingfortravel.com

• 4 weeks later...

We're a group of 20 leaving the day after Christmas from New Orleans. I called the Embassy Suites in N.O.directly a few months ago and was able to get a group discount of $89 a night. For groups I've found that calling hotels directly and asking outright for a group discount.

Archived