Solo gay travelers

DUVAL009

It can at times be difficult to meet other gay solo travelers but it is doable.

Did my first solo about a year ag and found that at lectures,trivia games,anything that people congregate, you start to talk with people and you will be amazed at who you meet. FOD on most ships are not that good at meeting people, at least for me.

Remeber couples go because they don't have to pay the damn single price and have someone at least to talk with.

Hang in there and keep plugging away and you will meet people

How easy is it to meet other gay solo travelers most of the time it is almost all couples who want to get together and where is the best places to meet any solo travelers?

I always had cocktails at a bar....the bartenders were social & conversation flowed and I found other singles...officers & passengers....I felt awkward sitting at a table in a busy lounge - hogging chairs....I am not a bar person per say - but on the ships the bars were fun.....even now I get dressed earlier than my partner & usually will meet him in a lounge....usually he will find me talking with someone.....

and just being out & about I met many people......

How easy is it to meet other gay solo travelers most of the time it is almost all couples who want to get together and where is the best places to meet any solo travelers?

It really is the luck of the draw. It all depends on the ship. With some ships carrying up to 2000 to 3000 passengers and the Oasis/Allure up to 6000 it can be a big challenge to meet other solo travelers especially gay, although not impossible and most are couples. Some cruise lines like Princess do now host GLBT/Rainbow get together and are posted in the ship's newsletter. I know that RCCL/Celebrity listed Friends of Dorothy (or whatever they now call it) get together in the ship bulletin board near guest relations and you are certainly welcome to post additional meetings/times, etc. Check out the G&L Roll calls here on Cruisecritic and/or start your own roll call for your sailing date. That's the best options to meet people prior to your cruise. Once you get on board the ship just fine tune your "gaydar" and don't necessary under estimate making friends with other gay couples or straight folks and some can be open to solo/single traveler from my experience. You can meet people all over the ship and any bar/lounge is a good place to start.

Just talk to everyone and go from there! I've sailed solo several times and most of the time I'd befriend straight girls. They then made it their mission to find a date for me! Problem solved! ;)

Just talk to everyone and go from there! I've sailed solo several times and most of the time I'd befriend straight girls. They then made it their mission to find a date for me! Problem solved! ;)

I loved what JSNOW said as I had a similar experience. Seems like straight girls traveling together make it their prime directive to find a gay man a sweetie. Been on two cruises when that happened, and strangely enough their gaydar is better than mine.

I think over the years, I've done about 6 cruises solo and 9 with someone. Each have it advantages. To me the best part about traveling solo is it does kind of force you to meet other people both gay and straight that you might not meet otherwise. While traveling with someone gives you that protective safety net, and not having to leave your bubble if you choose not to.

Been on some gay group cruises where people in the gay group will not associate with people outside the group, and other where you see people that seem to virtually no every on onboard by the 5th day of the cruise. I'm trying to be more like the latter these days, as you can meet some fascinating people if you open your door enough to let them in.

I think every cruise I've been on, I meet someone on the next to last day of the cruise that is utterly fascinating, and wish I had met them earlier, so now I make a concerted effort to try and put my shyness on the back burner and at least say a few words to many people onboard instead of just ones that are in my initial comfort zone.:D

• 1 month later...
is there a way to give us a hint without putting a full link?

or could you sed an email please?

Kinda defeats the purpose of the original action by CC, you think? ;)

From the CC Guidelines:

Why don't you allow us to post about other cruise sites? My post contains *** and then you removed it!

Actually, we do allow the legitimate linking to information at another cruise site, as long as that link isn't posted in an attempt to drive traffic to that site (in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic). If a website's url or name is replaced by a series of *****, it usually means that particular website had spammed our community with advertisements for their site.

Edited by Boytjie

Alexin - I sent you a friend request. I found a site last night - Cruise Critic can't defeat the internet itself. Google gay cruises and you'll find a bunch of sites - one in particular that will help you to find LGBT folks on a particular sailing. Once you accept the friend request I think I can send you the site name.

Kinda defeats the purpose of Internet community: making life easier, sharing information, ensuring access to diverse information sources.

Mea culpa - apparently unlike some other boards where when you are friends, you can message each other, Cruise Critic doesn't offer that functionality - at least I can't find it. If you'd like to email me at bdjam1 at yahoo dot com we can go from there...

done. can you send it?

i was also doing googling. but few site i found are not very active... just few recent posts.

Would someone kindly send me the link as well? Thanks!
Edited by bdjam

• 4 weeks later...
i think the site you're talking about is "meat" (spell it the other way) "me" "on" "board". Now correct the spelling, take out the quotation marks and spaces and add the dot com.

just signed up on that board it was free to do so been looking at the differnt pages and i think cruise critic is much better but i think it is still a new web page and just starting.but will

keep checking on it .like i said personally i cruise critic much better .my opinion

• 2 weeks later...