Border Crossing on I-5

We will be driving to Vancouver on I-5 on Tuesday 23 May for an upcoming cruise. Does anyone have experience on how busy/backed up the border crossing gets in the afternoon?

Well, let's see - there is no real way to predict the border traffic except in obvious busy times like long weekends and such. The day before is a holiday in both countries so Monday May 22 will be busy, but most people will travel on that day because they have work or school the next day. Generally, it could be busy or it could not be. How's that? ;p:D

Leave yourself several hours. You need to account for traffic which is heavy on I-5, and coming into Vancouver.

Having said that, there are several websites to check the traffic (easily obtained using a search engine). Here are a couple of links:

http://www.borderlineups.com/

http://wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx?cam=1057

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

Yup - since we usually drive between our Portland and Vancouver places we've crossed that border more times than you can shake the proverbial stick at. While we have NEXUS and can use the dedicated lane, we see the claimed border crossing times (displayed on signs on the highway for folks who don't have smartphones to access the online info while driving) and also have a pretty good idea what the actual processing time is based on how far back the queue of cars starts.

Weekdays are generally much better than weekends - and Tue you're avoiding the Victoria Day spike from any Canadians spending the long weekend in the US so I would not expect a long delay. It still depends on the time you roll up at though - there are folks who work across the border so there's always a peak around 6-7pm northbound. If you arrive before 3pm I'd be very surprised if the wait is more than 20mins northbound - and this is a good time to aim for since it also means you miss bad Seattle traffic (assuming you're starting further south on I5 you'll be cruising through the Seattle-Tacoma extravaganza from around noon to 1pm and traveling about the speed limit the whole way, barring accidents).

If you can't reach the border by 3pm, I'd be inclined to aim for 8pm or later (stop for a leisurely dinner somewhere between Bellingham-Birch Bay and you're traveling from distant parts rather than somewhere close by). Not only does this avoid the busiest time at the border, but it also puts you safely outside of Vancouver area rushhour (the tunnel on 99 - which is the default route as it's a continuation of I5 - flips to 3 lanes outbound and 1 inbound from approx 3:30-4pm for at least a couple of hours, and annoyingly there is no firm timeframe. I've never seen it last more than 3 hours though).

If for whatever reason you find yourself entering Canada after 3pm and before 7pm, take the 91 bridge crossing instead of the 99 tunnel (Exit 16 is the one you want) as the bridge handles inbound evening traffic much better than the tunnel since there are no lane closures. Depending where your hotel is this may actually be the most efficient route regardless.

Yup - since we usually drive between our Portland and Vancouver places we've crossed that border more times than you can shake the proverbial stick at. While we have NEXUS and can use the dedicated lane, we see the claimed border crossing times (displayed on signs on the highway for folks who don't have smartphones to access the online info while driving) and also have a pretty good idea what the actual processing time is based on how far back the queue of cars starts.

Weekdays are generally much better than weekends - and Tue you're avoiding the Victoria Day spike from any Canadians spending the long weekend in the US so I would not expect a long delay. It still depends on the time you roll up at though - there are folks who work across the border so there's always a peak around 6-7pm northbound. If you arrive before 3pm I'd be very surprised if the wait is more than 20mins northbound - and this is a good time to aim for since it also means you miss bad Seattle traffic (assuming you're starting further south on I5 you'll be cruising through the Seattle-Tacoma extravaganza from around noon to 1pm and traveling about the speed limit the whole way, barring accidents).

If you can't reach the border by 3pm, I'd be inclined to aim for 8pm or later (stop for a leisurely dinner somewhere between Bellingham-Birch Bay and you're traveling from distant parts rather than somewhere close by). Not only does this avoid the busiest time at the border, but it also puts you safely outside of Vancouver area rushhour (the tunnel on 99 - which is the default route as it's a continuation of I5 - flips to 3 lanes outbound and 1 inbound from approx 3:30-4pm for at least a couple of hours, and annoyingly there is no firm timeframe. I've never seen it last more than 3 hours though).

If for whatever reason you find yourself entering Canada after 3pm and before 7pm, take the 91 bridge crossing instead of the 99 tunnel (Exit 16 is the one you want) as the bridge handles inbound evening traffic much better than the tunnel since there are no lane closures. Depending where your hotel is this may actually be the most efficient route regardless.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this detailed and informative answer. Believe it or not we are driving from the east coast and will be spending the night before in Spokane. So we will try and get an early start to hit the border before 3pm as you recommend. In Vancouver we are staying at the Pan Pacific so I guess I better review our route options for getting to the hotel from the border.

PP will almost certainly see any GPS, Google Maps etc. route you right up 99. Just be aware that while it's still listed as a Highway, and shows as a 'thick' road on maps, it's literally a regular 50km/h (30mph) urban street as soon as you get to Vancouver. We have no actual highways - fastest speed limits are on bridges which are generally 60 instead of 50. As long as the tunnel isn't in '3 out, 1 in' mode you'll do just fine sticking to that most direct route.

If it's >3pm, do what I said before (take Exit 16 onto 91) but once you're over the bridge you can take 91 all the way back to the 99 again, or use Knight St to get to Main St or Cambie St with only a minute or two difference in time (if your GPS has traffic-avoidance it should choose for you, but since you'll be going against rush hour traffic any of these routes should be minimally different - personally I think Cambie and Main both offer nicer views as you crest the hill).

I'd also consider making at least a little bit of a nice day out of the trip - stop off in Roslyn if you're a fan of Northern Exposure (they still have conventions there), Snoqualmie Falls (of Twin Peaks fame) or both. Or instead of I90/I405/I5, consider taking US2 up into Leavenworth. It's a quirky little town with a very Bavarian vibe - they have an Oktoberfest annually. The latter option would add about 45mins drive time.

We're already into nice long evenings, so you won't have to worry about driving unfamiliar roads in the dark even if you hit the border at 8pm after a wee bit of sightseeing. If you do just push on through, FlyOverCanada is a nice short attraction that stays open late and is very close to your hotel (other end of Canada Place from the PP).

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this detailed and informative answer. Believe it or not we are driving from the east coast and will be spending the night before in Spokane. So we will try and get an early start to hit the border before 3pm as you recommend. In Vancouver we are staying at the Pan Pacific so I guess I better review our route options for getting to the hotel from the border.

Well, If your coming from Spokane, cross the border at Oroville, WA. We never have to wait of more than 5 minutes to cross into Canada there. Then take BC 3 till it connects with the Transcanada, and the Transcanada into Vancouver.

From Spokane, take US 2 to Wilbur, go on Wa-174 to Grand Coulee. From Grand Coulee, either stay on 174 and join on WA 17 towards Bridgeport till it intersects with US 97 or go WA 155 through Coulee Dam and go through Disautel Pass to Omak and join up with US 97 there. Take US 97 to the border. Cross the border and head to Osoyoos, BC, turn left at the light in Osoyoos that is BC 3.

You avoid Seattle, Everett, and Bellingham traffic, along with the border wait at Blaine area crossings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, If your coming from Spokane, cross the border at Oroville, WA. We never have to wait of more than 5 minutes to cross into Canada there. Then take BC 3 till it connects with the Transcanada, and the Transcanada into Vancouver.

From Spokane, take US 2 to Wilbur, go on Wa-174 to Grand Coulee. From Grand Coulee, either stay on 174 and join on WA 17 towards Bridgeport till it intersects with US 97 or go WA 155 through Coulee Dam and go through Disautel Pass to Omak and join up with US 97 there. Take US 97 to the border. Cross the border and head to Osoyoos, BC, turn left at the light in Osoyoos that is BC 3.

You avoid Seattle, Everett, and Bellingham traffic, along with the border wait at Blaine area crossings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How exactly more time and miles does this add to just going up I5? I mean, heck, Osoyoos is not exactly close to Vancouver.

Never mind, I was thinking Tacoma to Vancouver LOL!

PP will almost certainly see any GPS, Google Maps etc. route you right up 99.

Off topic..... Road trivia time: The route of Interstate-5 runs fairly close to the original routing of US-99 before it was fully decomissioned in 1972. That's why Interstate 5 becomes BC-99 after you cross over into Canada.

Again, thanks to everyone for providing info, routes, and ideas. It gives me a lot to think about and I'm sure we'll enjoy the trip no matter which route we take.

How exactly more time and miles does this add to just going up I5? I mean, heck, Osoyoos is not exactly close to Vancouver.

It's about 90mins longer, ignoring differential traffic & border time. Much prettier - the 3 has some very nice views - but since OP can be very flexible in their timing and avoid Seattle etc. rush hour the fastest route is undoubtedly to stick to the main highways. If you had to travel through Seattle area 2-5pm and hit the border at 6-7pm I'd agree the 3 is likely a faster drive on average from eastern WA, but unless you're familiar with the roads and experienced at driving single-lane routes with lots of corners, it's much harder to keep cruising along at the speed limit than on multi-lane highway.

One slow-moving vehicle on the many parts of 3 with limited overtaking potential and you're f*cked for keeping to scheduled time - in regular tourist season there are plenty of RVs around, but this year with free Parks access it'll be even worse. There's also a toll bridge on the 1 now that's a real bugger to avoid unless you are local and know where to peel off - and so many do that the only viable alternative bridge is ludicrously busy!

The downside of every alternative border crossing into BC is that, for Vancouverites, they add time that's unlikely to be regained unless I5 border is unusually busy while other crossings remain normal (even the 'truck crossing' adds at least 10mins real time, due to longer distance and lower speed limits, so unless the posted crossing times are ~15mins shorter - highly unlikely except on weekends - it doesn't benefit anyone heading to Vancouver). Back in the days of CAD being at par or even more valuable than USD, the volume of shoppers using I5 definitely meant going even an hour out of your way to Sumas was actually worth it sometimes - but that just hasn't been the case for years now.

Folks in Abbotsford, Langley, even Surrey can definitely benefit from taking quieter crossings further east, but very rarely Vancouverites - and using a crossing as far from alternatives as Oroville means that on the rare occasion there's an issue, you just have to sit and wait as long as it takes. I5 offers the option of changing to the truck crossing only a couple of miles south of the border, and even going over to Lynden is a viable backup if there's a long delay (approx 30mins longer to PP going this way from Blaine, so if both I5 and truck crossing delays are an hour or more it's worth considering - NB: toll bridge on the 1 still a factor though).

Edited by martincath
spacing!

^Exactly - toll itself no big whoop ($3.15 for a car) but if you drive over in a rental you could be billed an obscene markup for the time to administer the charge. That's on-top of the additional license-plate processing fee ($2.30) billed for all unregistered cars. Be sure to go online and make a 'one time payment' yourself, ideally BEFORE returning the car, so there's no way they can bill you anything extra!

Oh, and it is Port Mann.