Water Taxi to Caye Caulker?

gigem_aggies

We are looking for an inexpensive, low key beach day while in Belize. Has anyone ever used one of the water taxi services to take them over to the Caye? If so, which one? Also, what do we do once we are at Caye Caulker? Is it an open beach? Thanks so much!

It's been awhile, but I believe the water taxis have merged into one, Belize Water Taxi which leaves just a short walk outside the cruise port. someone who may have traveled on Caye Caulker Water Taxi recently can surely chime in that they are still up and running.

You're primary issue is to be sure to catch the correct return ferry. Belize remains year long on Central Standard Time, so unless you are told by the ship just before reaching Belize that the ship will observe Belize time, you need to be very aware of the ship's time (usually base don original port of embarkation) and the time of thelast tender from Belize City to the ship. Most likely that'll be the 1:25P ferry from CC. assuming the below link is still correct.

http://guidetobelize.info/en/travel/belize-water-taxi-timetable-guide.shtml#belize-san-pedro-caye-caulker-caye-chapel-watertaxi

1:25 gets you back around 2:15P Belize...That will be 3:15P CDT or 4:15P EDT.

We are looking for an inexpensive, low key beach day while in Belize. Has anyone ever used one of the water taxi services to take them over to the Caye? If so, which one? Also, what do we do once we are at Caye Caulker? Is it an open beach? Thanks so much!

We are booked with Coral Breeze tours for their "island escape" in June. I believe it was $45 a person for transportation to and from Caye Caulker. From what I've read Belize doesn't have much for beaches.

I used Coal Breeze in November as an observer to get to Caye Caulker, took all the worry out of making the taxi etc. Walked around Caye Caulker and got to the split and had a very enjoyable time for reasonable cost and so nice to get to this little island and away from the crowds at the port.

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely recommend using Coral Breeze for a trip to Caye Caulker. Much easier than using the water taxi and you get a lot more time on the island. It is a great place to visit.

Having booked with Coral Breeze 3 times, I would suggest the OP continue to find information on their tours to Caye Caluker. We have been place in overcrowded smaller vessels, boats with engine issues and less than optimal experiences. Passengers to Caye Caulker are not the priority from what I witnessed at the pier.

If you are diving or purely snorkeling, you travel in decent size vessels.

I will never forget one trip with this company. We were seated at the stern of the boat and due to the size of the boat and our location, every wave that overwashed the boat crashed on us. We were soaked and freezing from the water (although the water is warm-we were so overheated).

We tried to secure the water taxi when returning, but when the boat arrived at the Caye Caulker pier it was at capacity and left. They told us another taxi was on its way.

We did not want to take a chance and be left in Caye Caulker so we returned with them and said never again.

In regard to the "taxi on the way" we never saw one the entire ride back to port..

Look carefully and be safe-this is not the US and the US Coastguard does not make the rules.

We did Coralbreeze Island Escape last year and will book them again this June. While the boat we went to CC on was smaller than I had anticipated, and it was a bumpy ride there, we had a blast. Knowing as the previous poster just posted, that the water taxi can be full and you may not be guaranteed a seat, we we very comfortable with CoralBreeze. We all had life jackets and while, like I said, the boat was small and the ride there was very bumpy, the ride back to port was smooth and went a lot faster! They also called ahead for us for two golf carts which we used the entire time we were there. They were GREAT! plenty of power and gas and we went on both the sandy beach area (some beach bars are accessible with parking on the beach) and all over the little island.

Enjoyed stopping along the road for drinks and food (bought some conch on a stick from someone grilling next to a park area....phenomenal!!) and went to the Lazy Lizard. It was a really fun day.

Beaches....meh. Not great. If you are looking for a beach day, you probably won't find that here, but the beach bars are fun and some have swimming areas.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend using Coral Breeze also if you want to get to Caye Caulker. It was a fun trip and I would use them again. You can see pictures of our day at http://winenchocolate.com/our-day-in-belize/. Just remember the ship stay on their time, it does not change over to Belize time. Not much of a beach on Belize, but a fun island to explore.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading many reviews about various tour operators and the water taxi, I decided to book a cruiseline excursion to Starfish Island. The reviews are mixed but we had a great time. Through Carnival it was $60 per person and it included lunch. Being picked up and dropped off right at the ship was worth the extra money to us.

Any time Belize is on our itinerary, we opt to splurge on an excursion there and do more budget friendly activities at the other ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app