Local restaurant recommendations....Belize City

mrsfuzzmo

Our plans have changed and we've decided to spend the day exploring Belize City. We would like to know about some local restaurants that might be of interest. We like those "hole in the wall" type places that are a do not miss for the locals. Anything that's waterfront? Just my husband and I. The rest of the gang is going cave tubing.

If it's too hot (which very well may be in June) we may just hang out at the port, but we would really like some local flavor!!

Crewsweeper....any thoughts?

Annie's Lunchbox. Nerries (the one on Queen St.). Both close to the cruise port just up around the swing bridge on the Ft George side. Both primarily serve locals and have better selections than the standard chicken-rice-beans served on excursion lunches. There's also Marva's just on the other side of the swing bridge. Haven't eaten there but it has the menu outside and over head as I recall.

Smokey Mermaid on Cork Street, to the right out of the terminal and around the bend toward the lighthouse. Bit more upscale as is associated with hotel that caters to more upscale patrons. But very close if hot. And the building it's in is very nice, old Victorian building with sweeping verandas.

And if you're walking down the main drags of Belize City on the other side of the swing bridge, heading to or from the Anglican Church and Cultural Museum in the old Governors Mansion (worth seeing for all the Victorian and colonial artifacts, but very well done Belizean cultural exhibits.), you can stop at Bird's Isle along the way back. A nice view of the harbor with lots of seafood and offerings a bit more tourista friendly.

I think all these places have reviews on TA or websites. with maps.

Have fun!

Annie's Lunchbox. Nerries (the one on Queen St.). Both close to the cruise port just up around the swing bridge on the Ft George side. Both primarily serve locals and have better selections than the standard chicken-rice-beans served on excursion lunches. There's also Marva's just on the other side of the swing bridge. Haven't eaten there but it has the menu outside and over head as I recall.

Smokey Mermaid on Cork Street, to the right out of the terminal and around the bend toward the lighthouse. Bit more upscale as is associated with hotel that caters to more upscale patrons. But very close if hot. And the building it's in is very nice, old Victorian building with sweeping verandas.

And if you're walking down the main drags of Belize City on the other side of the swing bridge, heading to or from the Anglican Church and Cultural Museum in the old Governors Mansion (worth seeing for all the Victorian and colonial artifacts, but very well done Belizean cultural exhibits.), you can stop at Bird's Isle along the way back. A nice view of the harbor with lots of seafood and offerings a bit more tourista friendly.

I think all these places have reviews on TA or websites. with maps.

Have fun!

Perfect! Awesome information. Thanks!

Rupert Young, Belize, is an honest, hardworking, Christian tour guide. He can be of great service to you! But he's mine for 1/2 day June 27. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the suggestion. :) We are just going to wing it on our own. No need for a guide. Just looking for some local cooking, a few cold drinks and a bit of the local atmosphere! My husband is not a walker/tourist. I mean, he can walk, he just doesn't like to...especially if its hot. So in situations like this (we are on our own while the rest of the gang goes cave tubing) we like to find a local restaurant/bar that we can plant our butts at and enjoy the scenery - whether that be a view of the ocean or a busy city street. We like to chat with locals, engage the staff or owners and get a feel for the destination. That's what traveling is all about for us.

mrsfuzzmo,

I think Nerrie's would be your type of place. Close to the cruise port--just up Fort street to the swing bridge, which is Queen street then right about a block or two.

Owners/staff very friendly, love what they do, and they have a bar. If you want to walk a bit further afterward, they can direct you, but basically just continue down Queen Street to the promenade and then right and walk along the malecon/ palisades back to the light house and then the port.palisades.