iPad prices on board

pmymmw

Hi,

Does anybody know the recent price being charged for a 16gb iPad Air on board Celebrity cruise ships?

We are in New York before our cruise and don't know whether to buy from the land Apple store or wait until we are on board.

Thanks

Hi,

Does anybody know the recent price being charged for a 16gb iPad Air on board Celebrity cruise ships?

We are in New York before our cruise and don't know whether to buy from the land Apple store or wait until we are on board.

Thanks

I made the mistake of buying a 16gb Ipad - its amazing just how soon you run out of capacity - had to upgrade to a 32gb version 😔

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with hotel ca. Buy the refurbished online. It comes with a new back cover and battery. It is basically brand new.

But will those units support future firmware versions for as long as a new iPad?

- I do have an iPad 1 with firmware 5 (no more firmware upgrades available) - hence not supporting the newest apps.

But will those units support future firmware versions for as long as a new iPad?

- I do have an iPad 1 with firmware 5 (no more firmware upgrades available) - hence not supporting the newest apps.

I also have the first generation IPad. It is getting to be obsolete and almost impossible to open or access many websites. I cannot upgrade anything newer than ISO 5. I think it is now up to 7. 1

I would not buy anything older than the current newest version. It may be cheaper but will also be obsolete faster. Right now I am trying to hold out for the next generation and will buy it as soon as it is available to get the most use from it. I have heard that a new version will be in Nov.

I got the wifi version and would not recommend that either. It started out at $25/month for unlimited access. It is now on a data per month package plan. Don't need to pay extra or have the added expense as there are too many places with wifi and if really need to access the Internet I can do it thru my phone.

Would go with the IPad Air. It is lighter and has the best features.

Wouldnt waste any money on a screen protector either. I purchased a Zag and found it to cause a few problems and is not needed.

After a couple of years my battery went dead and found that if you have any problems you can exchange your IPad for $99 getting a factory refurbished one of the same, beats buying the insurance plan. The refurb is exactly the same as it was when new.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hi, there should be an announcement in October for the next generation iPad Air and Mini. It's been nearly a year since the current gen was released (I upgrade each year). You should be able to pick up a refurb at that time for even less than what Apple is currently selling refurbs for.

I also have the first generation IPad. It is getting to be obsolete and almost impossible to open or access many websites. I cannot upgrade anything newer than ISO 5. I think it is now up to 7. 1

I would not buy anything older than the current newest version. It may be cheaper but will also be obsolete faster. Right now I am trying to hold out for the next generation and will buy it as soon as it is available to get the most use from it. I have heard that a new version will be in Nov.

I got the wifi version and would not recommend that either. It started out at $25/month for unlimited access. It is now on a data per month package plan. Don't need to pay extra or have the added expense as there are too many places with wifi and if really need to access the Internet I can do it thru my phone.

Would go with the IPad Air. It is lighter and has the best features.

Wouldnt waste any money on a screen protector either. I purchased a Zag and found it to cause a few problems and is not needed.

After a couple of years my battery went dead and found that if you have any problems you can exchange your IPad for $99 getting a factory refurbished one of the same, beats buying the insurance plan. The refurb is exactly the same as it was when new.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

How would you access any wifi (free orotherwise) if you do not have an Ipad version with wifi capability.

On Eclipse in May, the entry level 16GB was £375. It was available for less on Amazon from sellers using Amazon fulfillment at that time without the risk of being hit by import duty if Custms discover your purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One real/semi hidden problem with buying on board. The applications require you to be on wifi just to load them...and ship wifi is expensive. If you want to load some kindle/other books or a movie, you are going to have to do it on the ship's wifi.

IMHO, it's well worth any extra $'s to buy the ipad before you go, load the applications you want before you go, learn how to use it before you go, learn how to retrieve mail and read it offline before you go (so you don't have to stay on wifi burning up expensive minutes on the ship while you sit and read.

Edited by ghstudio

I guess it depends on the guys in the iLounge. Our friends bought an iPad Mini and the fellow set it up, loaded a bunch of apps for them with mini lessons and also gave them 30 free min internet included in the purchase. They used the unused OBC they had to offset the purchase.

Edited by Christine Frances

How would you access any wifi (free orotherwise) if you do not have an Ipad version with wifi capability.

LOL. Good catch, I meant cellular, 4G

Happy crusinig 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Watch the prices carefully. When we were on Equinox in February, they were selling the iPad air for about $30 MORE than MSRP. I was very surprised. The Brits I met were thrilled with the price, since it was less than at home, but I met an older fellow from the US who was not so happy to learn that.

If you are buying your first iPad, I highly recommend getting it at home, and setting it all up before leaving. Hopefully you can find an Apple store that will assist in set up and provide some lessons.

Also, discuss how you wish to use it, to determine if the 16 gb is sufficient for your needs.

If you read a lot, you might need a bigger one to load up. If you want to download movies, you might need a bigger one. The Apple rep can assist you in determining that.

US MSRP has been stable for quite a few years for the new release. 16 GB is $499, 32 GB is $599, 64 GB is $699.

Its not only a matter of How Much they are, but if they have any left. On our last 2 cruises, they have had no stock.

New iPad model is expected to be released later this fall. A good question is whether Celebrity would continue stocking the existing model; if they do would they discount it as it is being discounted in most USA stores recently, and would they be able to carry the newer model in the early months after its introduction when it is anticipated to be in high demand?

Hi,

Thanks

OMG! You do not want to pay New York sales tax. We live in NY and purchased a laptop for our son on the Summit. The price was the same but the gentleman who sold it to us told us to take it out of the box so it wouldn't appear that we purchased it on board. I also used a different credit card than the one I had linked to my on board account. I read on these boards that sometimes the cruise lines report the luxury items purchased to customs.

OMG! You do not want to pay New York sales tax. We live in NY and purchased a laptop for our son on the Summit. The price was the same but the gentleman who sold it to us told us to take it out of the box so it wouldn't appear that we purchased it on board. I also used a different credit card than the one I had linked to my on board account. I read on these boards that sometimes the cruise lines report the luxury items purchased to customs.

As an ex UK Customs Officer, we had a name for that....now what was it? Oh yes, SMUGGLING! You were lucky, that method of trying to evade tax isnt exactly sofisticated or unknown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...I read on these boards that sometimes the cruise lines report the luxury items purchased to customs.

The use of the word "sometimes" here is incorrect. The cruise lines ALWAYS report on board purchases over a certain amount to customs on cruises ending in the USA. And if it is not always you should presume it is in any event. Years ago we purchased an item on board that put us over the limit. I did go to customs to report the purchases and pay the extra duty. Good thing I did as customs had a sheet of all such purchases and checked our name off. I'd hate to think what would have happened if we had not self reported and tried to go through customs without declaring the item.

Of course this only really applies if you are above the overall exemption allowed for bringing items back into the USA (don't know the rules for non-USA citizens). This limit was $800 per person the last time I checked.

A lot of people are somehow under the impression that the "duty free" nature of the items sold on board means that you do not have to declare them when returning back into the country. This is not true and all purchases must be declared and duty paid if over the limit.

Edited by Lsimon

The use of the word "sometimes" here is incorrect. The cruise lines ALWAYS report on board purchases over a certain amount to customs on cruises ending in the USA. And if it is not always you should presume it is in any event. Years ago we purchased an item on board that put us over the limit. I did go to customs to report the purchases and pay the extra duty. Good thing I did as customs had a sheet of all such purchases and checked our name off. I'd hate to think what would have happened if we had not self reported and tried to go through customs without declaring the item.

Of course this only really applies if you are above the overall exemption allowed for bringing items back into the USA (don't know the rules for non-USA citizens). This limit was $800 per person the last time I checked.

A lot of people are somehow under the impression that the "duty free" nature of the items sold on board means that you do not have to declare them when returning back into the country. This is not true and all purchases must be declared and duty paid if over the limit.

I have a friend who was "buzzed" on the way out. She had failed to report to the customs officer. She had purchased a TAG watch onboard and the shop reported it. It wasn't that she was trying to smuggle the watch, the shop salesman as part of his sales pitch told her that it was duty free and implied that meant no taxes. The salesperson wanted the commission and wanted her to have that impression that there was no duty due and she honestly did not know better. She had to pay the duty but what is also bad in my opinion is that I am sure US customs keeps a list and the likelyhood will be that she will be scrutinized whenever she goes thru customs in the future. If she ever applies for Global Entry that incident could very well mean a rejected application.

Also I have heard some buy in the shops at the ports in the islands and don't declare. They might get away with it but I have heard, but can't verify, that some of the shops in the Caribbean will report sales to US customs because they will get a reward if the person gets caught.