Power Adapt or not

Grumpy8

I think some of these responses, while possibly correct, are confusing.

Your question specified a 'Power adapter'. these devices are used to convert the European 220 volts to the US 110 volts. Most modern ships have both 220 and 110 volt outlets, so a voltage adapter is not needed. This is not true in the hotels. Many ships provide very few outlets, and often they are inconveniently located, so you might need a multiple outlet adapter (Power strip) and/or an extension cord.

Have a great trip.

The Odin, being one of the new longships, will have both a 110 and 220 outlet at each end of the vanity counter across from the bed. There is also an additional 110 outlet next to the bed on one side. We were on the Idun and, although we did have a multi-plug with us, we never needed it, even tho' we had a phone, a camera & a tablet to charge daily and I used a curling brush daily.

Just came back from a Uniworld cruise and I was able to plug my curling iron right into their 110V outlet.

However - if you are going to a hotel in Europe before or after the cruise, it might not be that easy! So - go to Walmart and buy a Revlon Dual Voltage Curling Iron ---- for $12!!!!! I've seen them in travel stores, magazines, etc. for up to $38!!!!

But you will need a plug (NOT the converter) to put on the curling iron plug so it will fit into the 220 outlet!

AND from all that I read - DO NOT plug your laptop into a Converter. Everyone I've seen says, NOT FOR ELECTRONICS!!! Guess you have to check your computer to make sure it is Dual Voltage. Then you can just use a plug that comes with the Adaptor Kit (or you can buy them separately).

On Uniworld, I brought along a surge protector power strip and used that for my computer and charging camera batteries. Just had to plug it into the 110 V outlet.

I think I have finally figured this all out - The Convertor & Plugs are used to convert a US electric product to European or other Voltages. But you can only use a converter for small devices like curling irons.

The Plugs are only to convert your US Dual Voltage electric item 110 V plug into a 220 V foreign outlet.

Many shavers and computers are Dual Voltage. Most Curling Irons are not Dual Voltage. And don't use the big heavy Converter for your laptop.

Do I have this straight????

Warning:

Some hotels do not have outlets for grounded plugs (three prongs.) None of our extension cords would fit into the outlets.

Fortunately, none of our "toys" used grounded plugs - even my new ultralight computer.

cb

Tennis - you pretty much have it straight. However, I'll say it again, if you have a curling iron or flat iron that is not dual voltage, and you try to use a converter for 220, it will not get hot enough to really work. You either need a dual voltage appliance or have the ability to plug directly into a 110 v outlet w/ US style outlet.

• 3 weeks later...
Need to know we are cruising on the Odin. Do we need a universal power adaptor on the ship to run a curling iron that comes from the State?:)

There were enough 110 plugs in our cabin on the Njord to charge all of our electronics and I could use my straightener at the mirror in the bedroom...not the bathroom...no need for an adapter unless you are extending and staying in a hotel.

Just spoke with Viking and were advised adapters are needed as outlets are round 2 prong. Can anyone confirm this? Also they advise converters to be on safe side. Hair dryers are in rooms. From past experience a few adapters are needed due to cell phone/IPads, etc. A dual ceramic hair straightener is good if you need one-have blown 2 in the past using converters.

Check your electronic devices. I went to Europe/Russia with a converter as well as adaptors only to realize that ALL of our things are rated up to 220V and the converter was not needed. I abandoned it at our hotel later as it was 4 pounds that my luggage didn't need! Most newer small appliances (hair dryers, curlers, etc) are rated up to 220V as well as most computers, camera chargers and so forth. Check your labels. Most people will only need an adaptor, to make their things fit into a European~ 2 hole plug. Most are under 10bucks at WalMart or online. You might also look into a small multi outlet extension cord if you're worried about needing more outlets. You can get them thru Amazon starting at about $20-$50.

Happy cruising!

Just spoke with Viking and were advised adapters are needed as outlets are round 2 prong. Can anyone confirm this? Also they advise converters to be on safe side. Hair dryers are in rooms. From past experience a few adapters are needed due to cell phone/IPads, etc. A dual ceramic hair straightener is good if you need one-have blown 2 in the past using converters.

If Viking is telling you this, are you on one of the older ships? The new longships have both types of outlets, 110 and 220. Only the 220 outlets have the round receptacles. Although we did pack a converter and adapter just in case it was needed, it never saw the light of day, and we charged a cell phone, my tablet, a video camera and a digital camera daily. I also used an electric curling brush twice daily.

Hope this helps clarify.

Actually we will be on the Odin, so I was surprised to hear this after expecting both outlets to be available. I only called to double check since I have blown 2 expensive hair straighteners in the past (causing a little blackout in Spain, I say in a whisper) and I now have a dual voltage but don't want that to go. Planned to bring adapters for our hotels anyhow, but originally not converters.

I think the info is always dependent on the person on the other end, maybe she is just more familiar with the old boats and didn't give correct. I call again in a day or 2.

Meanwhile, we were also now told there is only one seating for lunch when earlier the Odin was to have seated lunch in the DR, and a lighter buffet lunch in the lounge area! Can anyone confirm is this is correct or not? Thank you.

Oh, my goodness! Well, the Odin being the sister ship of the Idun (which is the ship we were on), you will have 3 110 outlets. There is one at each end of the counter across from the bed, and another at one nightstand. Not one in the bathroom, but, no worries, the wall above the counter is mirrored.:)

And, yes, the Aquavit Terrace is open for lunch. A lighter, but delicious, lunch is offered there. A daily fresh soup and chice of sandwiches on freshly made breads along with a few salad choices are usually the selections. However, unless the weather is nice enough to sit out on deck, the " Terrace" area, which is really lovely, there is limited seating in this area, unless you want to carry your plates into the lounge and try to awkwardly eat from a low cocktail table.

Indeed, most modern appliances/computers/tablets/cameras are dual voltage; we travel to Europe at least twice a year, and I haven't carried a converter in years, but do have an assortment of adapters. I also have a three outlet power strip with a short (9 inches long) cord that I find to be invaluable, especially in hotels with limited or inconveniently-located plugs.

Indeed, most modern appliances/computers/tablets/cameras are dual voltage; we travel to Europe at least twice a year, and I haven't carried a converter in years, but do have an assortment of adapters. I also have a three outlet power strip with a short (9 inches long) cord that I find to be invaluable, especially in hotels with limited or inconveniently-located plugs.

The Viking Odin had all the new stuff. So no adapters were needed...

Tennis - you pretty much have it straight. However, I'll say it again, if you have a curling iron or flat iron that is not dual voltage, and you try to use a converter for 220, it will not get hot enough to really work. You either need a dual voltage appliance or have the ability to plug directly into a 110 v outlet w/ US style outlet.

Might have something to do with the age of the product involved. DD is studying in Rome and has had no problem with the one 110v curling iron when using a voltage converter.

Might have something to do with the converter? She bought hers in Rome. (doubt it but anything is possible)

The Viking Odin had all the new stuff. So no adapters were needed...

Thanks for confirming that. I just received my papers from Viking and it looks like their info booklets are not updated yet for the new longships. Booklet still states that electric current is 220/230V!

So your info is invaluable.

We are going on the Amalyra with AMA Waterways and it only has 220 voltage and two prong adapters. So will I need an adapter and a converter. I am so confused. The only thing i need to plug on is my fan and charge my camera with the battery already in it.

It is an Olympus and you have to charge it with the battery in it.

How were the hair dryers on the new Viking ships. I use a 1875 at home, will it work

on the ship or will the Viking dryer be good enough?

Thanks Sunrocket

e=cruisingrammie;35504384]There were enough 110 plugs in our cabin on the Njord to charge all of our electronics and I could use my straightener at the mirror in the bedroom...not the bathroom...no need for an adapter unless you are extending and staying in a hotel.

• 4 months later...

I am very pleased at the convenience of the "search this forum" function on Cruise Critic. I was about to post a question about the number and types of electrical outlets on Viking Odin so that I would know how many of which kinds of adapters to bring along. All I needed to do was a forum search for the word "electrical" and, voilà, there were all the answers I needed.

Cruise Critic is, indeed, user friendly.

I am very pleased at the convenience of the "search this forum" function on Cruise Critic. I was about to post a question about the number and types of electrical outlets on Viking Odin so that I would know how many of which kinds of adapters to bring along. All I needed to do was a forum search for the word "electrical" and, voilà, there were all the answers I needed.

Cruise Critic is, indeed, user friendly.

Archived