Do you really need a watch on board?

cherryharley

I know how to use my phone's features - and I also know that on a ship, or in a foreign port, I have no real need for a cell phone - other than as a timepiece --- in which capacity it is nowhere near as convenient as a watch.

Exactly. If I do take it ashore it's to use it as a camera (as it's more resistant to damage than my camera is).

For touring (unless you are a photog diehard), nothing beats an "all-in-one" smartphone like an iPhone 7 plus: GPS, translator, phone, text, e-mail, flashlight, travel guide(s) and a host of other things not the least of which is a very easy to use killer camera* - and it all fits in your pocket.

*Both iPhone 7 and 7 Plus include optical image stabilization (OIS) and video stabilization, a Quad-LED True Tone flash and the ability to shoot 63-megapixel panorama photos. The iPhone 7 features 5x digital zoom. The iPhone 7 Plus has a dual camera 12-megapixel system allowing for 2x optical zoom and 10x software zoom.

As for what smartphones cost, the cheapest new iPhone 7 is currently $650 and many purchasers go for the far more expensive models.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You must work for Apple with that commercial you posted. :rolleyes:

There are many brands of phones out there besides iPhones. And some of them are better rated than your coveted iPhone 7. In fact, Consumer Reports rates the two year old Galaxy S6 better than the new iPhone 7.

Most people don't have the need to have the latest smartphone like many iPhone addicts do. We are quite content with our old phones. My four year old phone is just fine for my needs, and when new cost much less than that cheapest $650 iPhone you are advertising. AND, mine is fully paid off!

I don't even bring my phone with me on trips. I travel to enjoy being AWAY from home, and am perfectly happy unplugging for a few days. It's quite liberating not being beholden to an electronic device. Try it sometime. You might be surprised at how enjoyable life can be without having your phone in your hand every minute. Oh, wait! Your are an iPhone user. That means you have been brainwashed into believing that you can't possibly survive without it. ;p

I have seen many packing lists say to take a watch, but with cruise ships having internet access and cruise line apps, etc. is it really necessary? Won't I have the correct time showing on my smart phone?

OK, so you have heard from the luddites and the geeks and a few others. In short:

1. If you normally use a watch to keep track of time, take a watch.

2. If you normally use a smartphone to keep track of time, take your smartphone.

But,

3. Do take your phone off auto setting - the time hack derived from your phone's GPS and/or the web may or may not agree with either the ship's time or local time. Reset manually to ship's time (so you know when to be back aboard). Note any differences from local on shore time just in case so you aren't confused by local clocks etc.

And, even if you normally always use your phone as your timepiece,

Take a watch with you anyway, just to wear for those situations where your phone may not be handy (e.g., on the beach). An inexpensive waterproof sports watch like a Casio would be good.

Watches are just amazing! Imagine a tiny device than can be strapped on and will display the time without having to activate anything! What technological marvel will they think of next. ;p

If your ship has a lot of time-sensitive activities that interest you, then by all means wear a watch. The ship that I sail doesn't have activity announcements so if I want a good seat for a very popular speaker, I'll be wearing my watch.

Watches are just amazing! Imagine a tiny device than can be strapped on and will display the time without having to activate anything! What technological marvel will they think of next. ;p

If your ship has a lot of time-sensitive activities that interest you, then by all means wear a watch. The ship that I sail doesn't have activity announcements so if I want a good seat for a very popular speaker, I'll be wearing my watch.

Even the cheapest digital watches have an alarm to set so we don't miss an event. I still use one I purchased on board for $10 a few years ago at the obligatory sales event. After a month or so it starts losing a few seconds. But for the duration of a cruise, it keeps good enough time for me.

Watches were invented in the 16th century (clocks in the 14th). They have been around for 5 centuries and still are quite capable of doing what they were invented for. I rather doubt that smartphones will last that long. :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

Reminds me of the old joke about NASA trying to invent a pen that would write upside down in space and someone pulled out a pencil!

Sure is interesting that my question prompted a Hatfields and McCoys feud. I've enjoyed reading both sides.

I never wear a watch but certainly will feel better leaving my cell phone in the safe and wearing a waterproof $10 watch on shore or by the pool. Appreciate all the replies!

Need a watch? No. Wear a watch? Yes. Carry a smartphone? No. It is easier to wear a watch than carry a phone. When we get on a ship and leave port...our phone gets turned off and locked in the same. For us, a cruise is about socialization with real people....face to face. No need to text, constantly browse the web, etc. SmartPhones have become the new Heroin of society....folks get totally addicted. So here is the challenge. Try turning off and locking away all your smart phones for a few days (do this at home). Most younger folks cannot survive 2 hours. Even a heroin addict can go 4 hours (or more) without another "fix."

Hank

Thanks Hank - my best laugh of the day and so darn true too!! :)

Rocky: "Yo, Adrian!"

Adrian" "Yes?"

Rocky: "Do you like having a good time?"

Adrian: "Yes..."

Rocky: "Then you gotta have a good watch!" :D

Personally, I feel "naked", if I go out without my watch on, with or without my smartphone......:)

I haven't worn a watch in ... well, actually I can't remember how long it's been. 10 years? 20 years? I'm not sure I even have one that works anymore. Since I never go anywhere without my Kindle, that is my clock, especially ashore. I also usually carry my phone (backup camera, games, intranet/internet) and on many ships there are usually clocks in strategic places.

Actually, I wear my fitness tracker to keep track of my steps all day, and can switch to time-of-day mode when needed, so it serves a dual purpose. Otherwise I would be wearing a real watch, because there are few clocks on the ships I cruise on, and I'm not so attached to my phone that I feel the need to have it with me at all times while in a cruise.

I have seen many packing lists say to take a watch, but with cruise ships having internet access and cruise line apps, etc. is it really necessary? Won't I have the correct time showing on my smart phone?

Not everyone has a Smart phone .I have a flip phone and several of my friends do not own any kind of cell phone.

Cell phones will show "local time"...not SHIP'S time which can be different than the island time. Bring a cheap watch. You don't want to miss the ship!

Well, no it won't show "local time" unless you choose to have automatic time update. RTM !

No you don't. You can be like many other watchless people who ask people who do wear watches what the time is. However, if you ask me (I always wear a watch and feel naked w/o one), I will tell you to either "check your watch" or give you the wrong time.

If you need to know the time at all times, get a watch.

DON

Well, no it won't show "local time" unless you choose to have automatic time update. RTM !

Most phones, including iPhones and Samsung phones (the two most popular brands) come with auto time updates turned on as the default. So, you must choose to turn it off, not on. Most people will just leave it on because it is the default and forget about it - even in an area where the updated time is different than the ships time. They won't even think about having to change it. In fact, most of the time the auto updates are preferred since most people want the times zones to change automatically when travelling.

I wear a watch every day at home, so I wear a watch ever day wherever I go. I go with analog instead of digital because I can still figure out what time it is by looking at fuzzy hands than very fuzzy small numbers when I don't have my reading glasses on. I take one of my Zodiacs with me on vacation so I don't have to worry about it when I go into the water.

A method of keeping time is necessary. Whether you use a watch or a device than can be switched off of "automatically adjust for local time", does not matter.

My former computer networking company gave me an iPod as an anniversary gift back when the big white iPods came out. Great for music, but did nothing else. When it finally died years later, I bought the "new" iPod Touch. Great for music, but there were these cool things called "apps" that made life and travel more fun. But, I didn't carry it every where I went. The only thing the iTouch didn't have was cellphone - didn't care, didn't need. Then, before I went to Italy in 2011, I bought an iPad so I could use the Kindle app and read books. I added all the apps I had on my iTouch, and bought a SIM to use in Italy. It was so much fun to be able to stop, take a photo of something, and do a "photo of the day" post to my friends to make them jealous. But, at home, I didn't take it everywhere with me. Last June, my trusty, but unsmart RAZR that I had since 2006 died and I had to get a new phone. Well, I decided to keep it in the same ecosphere and bought a iPhone SE. I hate any cell phone that is larger than an iTouch. The SE fits nicely in my hand with the iPhone 5 format, but it comes with all the bells and whistles of the 7. I love it. But, I still don't carry it every where. I have to warn people at work to not call it if the need to get in touch with me because I may not be near it. BUT, when I travel, it goes with me for all the new and nifty apps that I can access. Sure, I traveled all the time pre-mine electronics and loved it. But, I'm not so crusty and old that I can't be taught new tricks. I'm not tethered to it, but I sure like the new access and information that I have at my fingers.

Just like some of our oldsters warned that Elvis Presley and The Beatles were bad and didn't want to listen, some people warn that no one needs a smartphone and won't use ;-)

Over 60 and a proud owner and user of an iTouch, iPad Mini, and iPhone SE, and a Panasonic cordless landline...

(written on my 2009-era MacBook Pro)

I wear a watch every day at home, so I wear a watch ever day wherever I go. I go with analog instead of digital because I can still figure out what time it is by looking at fuzzy hands than very fuzzy small numbers when I don't have my reading glasses on. I take one of my Zodiacs with me on vacation so I don't have to worry about it when I go into the water.

A method of keeping time is necessary. Whether you use a watch or a device than can be switched off of "automatically adjust for local time", does not matter.

My former computer networking company gave me an iPod as an anniversary gift back when the big white iPods came out. Great for music, but did nothing else. When it finally died years later, I bought the "new" iPod Touch. Great for music, but there were these cool things called "apps" that made life and travel more fun. But, I didn't carry it every where I went. The only thing the iTouch didn't have was cellphone - didn't care, didn't need. Then, before I went to Italy in 2011, I bought an iPad so I could use the Kindle app and read books. I added all the apps I had on my iTouch, and bought a SIM to use in Italy. It was so much fun to be able to stop, take a photo of something, and do a "photo of the day" post to my friends to make them jealous. But, at home, I didn't take it everywhere with me. Last June, my trusty, but unsmart RAZR that I had since 2006 died and I had to get a new phone. Well, I decided to keep it in the same ecosphere and bought a iPhone SE. I hate any cell phone that is larger than an iTouch. The SE fits nicely in my hand with the iPhone 5 format, but it comes with all the bells and whistles of the 7. I love it. But, I still don't carry it every where. I have to warn people at work to not call it if the need to get in touch with me because I may not be near it. BUT, when I travel, it goes with me for all the new and nifty apps that I can access. Sure, I traveled all the time pre-mine electronics and loved it. But, I'm not so crusty and old that I can't be taught new tricks. I'm not tethered to it, but I sure like the new access and information that I have at my fingers.

Just like some of our oldsters warned that Elvis Presley and The Beatles were bad and didn't want to listen, some people warn that no one needs a smartphone and won't use ;-)

Over 60 and a proud owner and user of an iTouch, iPad Mini, and iPhone SE, and a Panasonic cordless landline...

(written on my 2009-era MacBook Pro)

You lost me at "landline" :loudcry:

Seriously though, it's always good to see older folks embracing technology. So many of them are scared of technology & change.

You lost me at "landline" :loudcry:

Seriously though, it's always good to see older folks embracing technology. So many of them are scared of technology & change.

Landline. A phone with an Ethernet-looking cable that plugs into an Ethernet-looking wall socket. But, not Ethernet. don't know wired Ethernet? Think how you plug your iPhone (or God forbid, Galaxy) into a wall socket to recharge and you can still get phone calls on it while plugged in. Or, if you actually work in an office, that phone on your desk that has this cable that goes into a hole in the wall. ;-)

I will admit that I only learn what I need to learn at the time to us what I want to use on the phone. Only 2 weeks ago did someone show me how to bring back those notifications that show up and disappear too fast for me to see them the first time! And, a month ago, someone showed me how to get rid of all those messages that come in (did not know about swiping)...

Most of the kids I work with have no landlines, only that cell phone. I've had enough experience with towers going down and electricity that my landline phone comes in handy. In a big emergency, I actually have my avocado green Slimline phone that does not work on electricity and plugs into my phone line. That came in handy once when our substation was hit by lightning and was out for 10 hours - that good old phone still worked!