The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:25 AM.
37 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
[quote=h20skibum;53079794]So, maybe time for a couple more posts about the balcony cabin this afternoon. Aside from being almost a clone of our cabin on the Coral, the closet space, and the bath on the Grand was even smaller.

We probably overpacked a little, but we were going to be gone for two weeks and we planned to do laundry for our workout clothes a couple times during the trip. In addition to our workout clothes and smart casual clothes, we also had a tux, tux shirts, three formal gowns, and 10 pair of shoes packed in our two bags. I know, 10 pair of shoes!!! But two pair were flip flops, so maybe they really are not shoes. Then there were a pair for my tux, a pair for smart casual, and a pair of running shoes. DW had to have a pair for each of her gowns, running shoes and a pair for smart casual. The closet floor space was not large enough for 10 pair without stacking them.

There were about 20 hangers in the closet, so we had enough, but only because we packed all our formal clothes with their hangers. Still, all of our clothes fit there and on the shelves. We did see some couples that had four large suitcases, so unless they had suites with large closets, I don't know where they would find room for that much.

The room safe was large enough for a iPad, but it would not be large enough for a laptop. The bath sink area had three shelves that would hold everything we needed, and it appeared if you brought a night light, the wall plug would work without the light switch being on. I had a battery operated magnetic light that I brought and attached to the door this time.

The shower with the patented clingy curtain was typically cramped.

Recently got back from the Crown in Europe and Scandinavia. Love seeing the ship. I hate those shower curtains and wish they would put in a door. Also, when will Princess get hand -held attachments!!!
Western PA
1,226 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Lulubelle45
Although I will be sailing the Emerald Princess to Hawaii next year round trip from Vancouver, you are providing much valued info. Thanks!!!
I am glad you found something useful. I think the cruise from Vancouver will be very similar, and the Emerald is a little newer than the Grand.

I would like to sail from Vancouver at some point, maybe for an Alaska cruise if I can convince DW to do that route. Vancouver looks like a great city.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark
Grand Princess - April-May, 2017 -Hawaii Review with photos
Celebrity Summit - January, 2017 Review with photos
Oasis of the Seas - November, 2015 Review with photos
Coral Princess - April 2014 -Panama Canal Review with photos
Allure of the Seas - March, 2013
Voyager of the Seas - March, 2012
Grandeur of the Seas - September, 2010
Serenade of the Seas – May, 2010
Independence of the Seas - March, 2009
Serenade of the Seas – Nov, 2007
First Cruise – SS Norway – Aug, 1980
Several between on Carnival, Princess, RCI

Future cruises
Serenade of the Seas – Jan, 2018
Allure of the Seas - March, 2018
Northern CA
271 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Mark
Since we are making this cruise for Christmas this year I enjoyed reading your review. Even though we've been to Hawaii many times this is the first time cruising there.
We have made contact with Stan and look forward to meeting them.
Thanks for taking your time to do the review
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jack and Judy

Disney Big Red Boat Bahamas 10/91

Regal Princess Caribbean 3/94
American Hawaiian SS Independence 1/95
Carnival Elation Caribbean 3/98

Carnival Inspiration Caribbean 6/01
Dawn Princess Mexico 1/07
Dawn Princess Alaska 9/07
Star Princess S Pacific 9/09
Coral Princess Panama Canal 5/11
Star Princess Alaska 7/28/14
Grand Princess Mexico 1/9/16

Western PA
1,226 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by stargazer4135
Mark

Since we are making this cruise for Christmas this year I enjoyed reading your review. Even though we've been to Hawaii many times this is the first time cruising there.

We have made contact with Stan and look forward to meeting them.

Thanks for taking your time to do the review

A Christmas cruise to the islands sounds fantastic. Will you have any problems with shortened venues for Christmas Eve in Honolulu, or Christmas Day in Nawiliwili?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark
Grandeur of the Seas - September, 2010
Serenade of the Seas – May, 2010
Independence of the Seas - March, 2009
Serenade of the Seas – Nov, 2007
First Cruise – SS Norway – Aug, 1980
Several between on Carnival, Princess, RCI

Future cruises
Serenade of the Seas – Jan, 2018
Allure of the Seas - March, 2018
Southern Oregon
12 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Thank you for this review, I enjoyed it very much!. We are also doing this cruise for Christmas and I'm excited! It's my first time to Hawaii (but not my SO's)

Save
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

08/16/2015 Ruby Princess Alaska Inside Passage
12/20/2015 Norwegian Jewel Mexican Riviera 03/16/2016 Grand Princess California Coastal 08/16/2016 Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean 12/23/2016 Norwegian Jewel Mexican Riviera 03/26/2017 Norwegian Jewel Mexican Riviera 07/15/2017 Norwegian Jewel Alaska Inside Passage

Save
BC CANADA
730 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by h20skibum
I am glad you found something useful. I think the cruise from Vancouver will be very similar, and the Emerald is a little newer than the Grand.

I would like to sail from Vancouver at some point, maybe for an Alaska cruise if I can convince DW to do that route. Vancouver looks like a great city.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! Just finished reading this review and took loads of notes. Will be our first time to Hawaii, our longest cruise (Alaska 7 day being our longest) and my second on Princess. I'm sure the Patters will be similar. Do you recall if there was a special seafood Crabpot style menu? What were the prices like for bevvies in Hawaii.? DO you know if there were any swim with Dolphin excursions and if so, which island? Thank you again and do convince DW to cruise Alaska, you won't be dissapointed !
[quote=Alison48;53504188]
Originally posted by h20skibum
So, maybe time for a couple more posts about the balcony cabin this afternoon. Aside from being almost a clone of our cabin on the Coral, the closet space, and the bath on the Grand was even smaller.

We probably overpacked a little, but we were going to be gone for two weeks and we planned to do laundry for our workout clothes a couple times during the trip. In addition to our workout clothes and smart casual clothes, we also had a tux, tux shirts, three formal gowns, and 10 pair of shoes packed in our two bags. I know, 10 pair of shoes!!! But two pair were flip flops, so maybe they really are not shoes. Then there were a pair for my tux, a pair for smart casual, and a pair of running shoes. DW had to have a pair for each of her gowns, running shoes and a pair for smart casual. The closet floor space was not large enough for 10 pair without stacking them.

There were about 20 hangers in the closet, so we had enough, but only because we packed all our formal clothes with their hangers. Still, all of our clothes fit there and on the shelves. We did see some couples that had four large suitcases, so unless they had suites with large closets, I don't know where they would find room for that much.

The room safe was large enough for a iPad, but it would not be large enough for a laptop. The bath sink area had three shelves that would hold everything we needed, and it appeared if you brought a night light, the wall plug would work without the light switch being on. I had a battery operated magnetic light that I brought and attached to the door this time.

The shower with the patented clingy curtain was typically cramped.

Recently got back from the Crown in Europe and Scandinavia. Love seeing the ship. I hate those shower curtains and wish they would put in a door. Also, when will Princess get hand -held attachments!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises
NCL PEARL- September 25, 2011 Pacific Coastal (5 day)

HAL ZAANDAM- October 23, 2012 Pacific Coastal (4 day)

CELEBRITY CENTURY - August 17, 2014 Alaska Roundtrip (7 days)

CORAL PRINCESS May 2,2015 Alaska Sampler (4 days)

Future Cruise
NCL PEARL - September 26 to Oct.1, 2016

Western PA
1,226 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
[quote=Lulubelle45;53730749]Thank you! Just finished reading this review and took loads of notes. Will be our first time to Hawaii, our longest cruise (Alaska 7 day being our longest) and my second on Princess. I'm sure the Patters will be similar. Do you recall if there was a special seafood Crabpot style menu? What were the prices like for bevvies in Hawaii.? DO you know if there were any swim with Dolphin excursions and if so, which island? Thank you again and do convince DW to cruise Alaska, you won't be dissapointed !
Originally posted by Alison48

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for reading. The Patters will probably be similar, but sometimes Princess alters the order of the port stops.

Beverages were comparable to any large city stateside. We only had Mai Tais at Dukes, and these were $12. Other tropical drinks were in the $10-$12 range, virgin drinks around $7, and beers $7-$14. Here are some prices from the Duke’s Drink Menu.

As far as the dolphin swim, it depends what type of encounter you are looking for. Typically, there are lagoon swims where you get up personal with the dolphins, and there are open ocean swims where they take you to areas near spinner dolphin pods and you snorkel or swim with them there. We had just done a dolphin lagoon encounter in Nassau on our January cruise, so we were not looking for that type in Hawaii.

I believe Princess offered an open ocean swim as an excursion for the stop in Hilo. You would need to check your shore excursions list to see if it is available for your cruise if the open ocean one is the type you want. Just be aware, there is a move underway to ban the open ocean dolphin swims. This is an article about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us...waii.html?_r=0

And here is a CBS video about the move that ran yesterday (August 6, 2017)

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/noaa-l...ins-in-hawaii/

We had looked into this private tour, ocean swim one that our niece had done in Oahu, but it would have taken too much of our day, and there were other things we wanted to do.

You can do a lagoon type swim independently on Oahu. There is one at the Kahala Beach Resort, which is just past Waialae Beach on the opposite side of Diamond Head from Waikiki. You can check out what they have to offer here.

https://dolphinquest.com/kahala-hotel-resort/

Enjoy your planning and your cruise.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark