Hello again

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:34 AM.
2,508 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under

I just saw on Japanese news on TV that Vancouver has rain - wonderful - it is a small world.

Are the bushfires under control yet?
Marion, we had a sprinkling of rain on Saturday. Amazing that Japanese news thought it was worth mentioning. Yesterday (Sunday) was our first look at a blue sky. Whoa! It was chilly enough this morning for me to wear sweatpants for the first time over the past two months.

The state of emergency declared after the start of the wildfires more than a month ago has been lifted. However, there still are fires but are more or less under control.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (64): Alaska (30), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (64): Celebrity (36), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2017 September 10 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
9,708 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
Marion, we had a sprinkling of rain on Saturday. Amazing that Japanese news thought it was worth mentioning. Yesterday (Sunday) was our first look at a blue sky. Whoa! It was chilly enough this morning for me to wear sweatpants for the first time over the past two months.
The state of emergency declared after the start of the wildfires more than a month ago has been lifted. However, there still are fires but are more or less under control.
Donald.
That is funny, Donald. They scroll through the world weather so fast, you don't have time for details like how heavy the rain is. It is still above normal temperatures here - beautiful sunny winter weather.
Glad the fires are under control and hope they don't flare up again. now that the state of emergency has been lifted.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Irving TX
2,009 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
About Santorini - Has anyone ridden the donkeys to the top of the volcano?

I took the funicular cuz I wanted to get to the top pronto. Later, at dinner that night, everyone said that the donkey ride was the stinkiest, smelliest ride they had ever done, that the saddles etc. had never been cleaned, so when the pax got back to the ship, they had to strip down, shower, and send their tour clothes to the ship’s laundry.

Boy hidey! Am I glad I missed that one!

Ruby
489 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
When I first visited Santorini the only choices to go up to the town were either ride the donkeys or walk behind them. I did both: Ass up and trek down. And yes, riding up was a bit scary as the donkey's master kept him along the wall which he kept bumping so I was afraid I might fall off the precipice and wind up in the Aegean or on top of the ugly alternative. My cousin and I decided it would be "better" to walk down to the dock. I loaned her a pair of my sandals which were immediately disposed of when we returned to the ship (Stella Solaris). And yes a long hot shower was the next order of business. The last time there we immediately opted for the more sanitary funicular. Sorry that so many donkeys have been put out to pasture.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ships on Which I've Sailed
C. Columbus
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Mercury
Constitution
Crown Odyssey
Danau Prinzessin
Eurodam
Europa
Fairsky
Fascination
France
Galaxy
Galileo Galilei
Leonardo da Vinci
Michelangelo
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Oceanic
Oriana
QE2
QM2
Queen Victoria
R6
Raffaello
Rotterdam VI
Royal Princess
Royal Viking Star
Sagafjord
Saga Rose
Santa Rosa
Sardegna
Seven Seas Mariner
Seven Seas Navigator
Seven Seas Voyager
Sicilia
Silver Cloud
Silver Spirit
Silver Wind
Sky Princess
Sovereign of The Seas
Stella Solaris
Valtur Prima
Volendam

Some of The Classic Vessels Visited But, Alas, Not Sailed On
Amerikanis
Angelina Lauro
Atlantic (Home Lines)
Argentina (Moore-McCormack)
Berlin (North German LLoyd)
Bremen (North German LLoyd)
Canberra
Cristoforo Colombo
Cunard Countess
Doric
Gripsholm
Guglielmo Marconi
Nordic Prince
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary
Queen of Bermuda
Rotterdam V
Royal Viking Sun
Saga Ruby
Saturnia
Savannah
Scandanavia
Song of America
Statendam V
Statendam VI
Tropicale
United States
Veendam
Volendam
Gold Coast
9,708 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Did anyone see the Solar Eclipse?

I haven't been to Santorini, but it is somewhere I always wanted to visit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Irving TX
2,009 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Did anyone see the Solar Eclipse? I haven't been to Santorini, but it is somewhere I always wanted to visit.
My living room has one side of glass walls looking out on the backyard. I watched the "cloudy" effect of the eclipse, then got chilly and had to turn up the stat.

What interested me was that the many usual birds disappeared and didn't come back out until 2 hrs. after the eclipse. Quite interesting.

Put Santorini on your list. Altho' I was there for a brief shorex, you will never forget looking down the slope of the volcano to see your lovely white ship floating in the dark blue waters of the Aegean Sea.

Just curious, Marion - how would you get to Santorini from Oz? Fly to where, board a ship, and tour the Greek Isles?

Ruby
Gold Coast
9,708 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Saga Ruby
My living room has one side of glass walls looking out on the backyard. I watched the "cloudy" effect of the eclipse, then got chilly and had to turn up the stat.
What interested me was that the many usual birds disappeared and didn't come back out until 2 hrs. after the eclipse. Quite interesting.

Put Santorini on your list. Altho' I was there for a brief shorex, you will never forget looking down the slope of the volcano to see your lovely white ship floating in the dark blue waters of the Aegean Sea.

Just curious, Marion - how would you get to Santorini from Oz? Fly to where, board a ship, and tour the Greek Isles?
Ruby
Ruby - How exciting that you got to experience the effect of the eclipse. It is interesting that the weather got chilly and the birds disappeared.

I would fly to Athens, then catch a cruise or a ferry. I haven't done a Greek Island cruise, but caught a ferry to Crete for a holiday once.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion