Muster Drill....Jewel

Ambie1988

I will be going on my first cruise this September. I will be on the Jewel in the Haven. How do you know where to go for the muster drill, and do you have to bring your life jacket with you?

You will be given instructions to the meeting place for your Muster Station when you board. NO, you do not need to bring your life jacket.

When is your cruise? I will be on The Jewel the 9th to the 16th of September.

I will be going on my first cruise this September. I will be on the Jewel in the Haven. How do you know where to go for the muster drill, and do you have to bring your life jacket with you?

No jackets needed any more, your butler and/or room attendants will advise as to where to go as well as numerous announcements are made.

You will be given instructions to the meeting place for your Muster Station when you board. NO, you do not need to bring your life jacket.

When is your cruise? I will be on The Jewel the 9th to the 16th of September.

I am going the 16-23 of September.

The code for your muster location is on your cabin card, there is a letter and a number. There are multiple announcements telling you where each letter meets, and once you are there they will direct you to the appropriate number location. That's where they scan your cabin card to show you were in attendance. This is one of the few situations where being in a suite or haven doesn't get you any benefits. There is no reserved seating, so either go early and find a seat or go at the last minute knowing you'll be standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The crew each week must just shake their heads in dismay at guest behavior during the drill. Your are advised to not bring drinks to the drill, don't take pictures, don't use your cell phone, and generally try to pay attention. However, none of the above ever occurs even with the best and most polite efforts of the crew to keep the event organized. There's so much talking and laughing going on usually that you can't hear much of what is being said. But...it all meets requirements, I guess. If the ship ever actually started to sink, about half the guests would wish they had paid better attention. The total time of the actual briefing is only about 15 minutes, once it gets started, once about half the guests finally show up late and get checked in. Oh....when they blow the seven loud whistle blasts, followed by a long steady blast, demonstrating the emergency signal, cover your ears. That baby is loud!

The instructions for where to go are posted on a placard in your cabin, usually on the door. Your muster station is designated by a letter. It is noted on your Sign and Sail card. There are signs throughout the ship directing you the muster stations. Generally you do not bring your life jacket. Detailed information will be in the Freestyle Daily that you can get when you board.

• Like 1

Your room key will have your muster station printed on it. A letter and a number. The back of your room door will tell you where to go (letter). Once you get there, look for your number. Those are all of the people that will be on your lifeboat in the event of an evacuation.

Announcements start 30 minutes before muster. Go early if you want a seat. Don't wait for the alarms to go off.

The crew each week must just shake their heads in dismay at guest behavior during the drill. Your are advised to not bring drinks to the drill, don't take pictures, don't use your cell phone, and generally try to pay attention. However, none of the above ever occurs even with the best and most polite efforts of the crew to keep the event organized. There's so much talking and laughing going on usually that you can't hear much of what is being said. But...it all meets requirements, I guess. If the ship ever actually started to sink, about half the guests would wish they had paid better attention. The total time of the actual briefing is only about 15 minutes, once it gets started, once about half the guests finally show up late and get checked in. Oh....when they blow the seven loud whistle blasts, followed by a long steady blast, demonstrating the emergency signal, cover your ears. That baby is loud!

I would agree to a point. Sadly, we all sit there for 20 minutes or so with NOTHING going on. NOTHING. Once they start talking and explaining, folks should of course stop and listen. Most people are good at that, but there are often a few that will keep yacking and then to make it worse, complain they did not hear what they are supposed to do.

I won't ever complain about sitting around waiting for the muster drill to start on NCL. The last time on Carnival we stood on the deck, packed together like sardines, for about 45 minutes before they actually got started.

• Thanks 1

I won't ever complain about sitting around waiting for the muster drill to start on NCL. The last time on Carnival we stood on the deck, packed together like sardines, for about 45 minutes before they actually got started.

In years past, it seems they all did the outside thing but most have moved to in indoor location. And stopped making you take the lifejackets. Maybe too many people got hurt with those dragging belt buckles tripping up folks - lol!

My wife and I are on that same cruise(16th-23rd). We're first timers

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hope you really enjoy it. We think the Jewel class ships are the perfect size. And we've always enjoyed the Jewel. We like the Spinnaker lounge, deck 13 forward, the Great Outdoors, rear deck 12, the Promenade deck 7 for walking, and don't overlook the bridge viewing room, port side deck 11 all the way forward. Also, the Asian restaurant was specialty at one time. It's part of the free restaurants now and very good we think.

I would agree to a point. Sadly, we all sit there for 20 minutes or so with NOTHING going on. NOTHING. Once they start talking and explaining, folks should of course stop and listen. Most people are good at that, but there are often a few that will keep yacking and then to make it worse, complain they did not hear what they are supposed to do.

That often happens when there are people trying to dodge attending the muster drill or are late going to their muster station. We have been on so many cruises and we are still amazed that there are still people who trot to their muster stations LATE. We often get to our muster station EARLY and begin people watching!

The bars and restaurants (e.g O'Sheehan's) close 30 mins before the muster drill, yet there are people who get to their muster station LATE!

• Like 1

The code for your muster location is on your cabin card' date=' there is a letter and a number. There are multiple announcements telling you where each letter meets, and once you are there they will direct you to the appropriate number location. That's where they scan your cabin card to show you were in attendance. This is one of the few situations where being in a suite or haven doesn't get you any benefits. There is no reserved seating, so either go early and find a seat or go at the last minute knowing you'll be standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is true. We were in Haven on Breakaway and our muster station was in O'Sheehan's. The Haven restaurant closed to new diners an hour and a half prior to the drill.

One more thing, the elevators are stopped and locked 15 mins (I think) before the drill so if you are mobility challenged you better start getting to the muster station early!

In years past, it seems they all did the outside thing but most have moved to in indoor location. And stopped making you take the lifejackets. Maybe too many people got hurt with those dragging belt buckles tripping up folks - lol!

I agree, much easier now than in years past.

Since it isn't possible to change the location, as Chengkp pointed out, I do wish they could find a better way to handle the stragglers. Keeping people waiting seated or even standing inside is one thing but, keeping people standing on deck in the heat for 45 minutes waiting for the drill to start isn't the best way to start a vacation.

They still make you take them on Princess. It's stupid. They make you practice putting them on at muster. I guess it gives people an activity, which makes some people happy I suppose. But there is nothing like watching a bunch of dolts trying to cram into an elevator with everyone carrying bulky life jackets.

Half the guest? I think more like 95%. I have seen far too many times the muster drill is treated like a big party. People, drinking, taking pictures, talking away and generally not paying attention. On our last cruise on the Jewel our muster drill should have taking about 10-15 minutes. It took over 30 minutes, people were late and they would not stop talking. They stopped the drill for about 5 minutes and basically told everyone to shut up and listen

Three things happen at the safety drill that you need to know about (if you are handicapped there are some other points to remember).

The three things are:

1. The location of your muster station.

2. How to put on a life jacket.

3. What the alarm bells sound like

The rest is pretty much unnecessary.

• 4 weeks later...
This is true. We were in Haven on Breakaway and our muster station was in O'Sheehan's. The Haven restaurant closed to new diners an hour and a half prior to the drill.

One more thing, the elevators are stopped and locked 15 mins (I think) before the drill so if you are mobility challenged you better start getting to the muster station early!

Thank you so much for this information! My grandma is in a wheelchair, now, and I was concerned about getting to the Muster drill because I typically don't take the elevator on the ship and have no idea how much time to anticipate for elevator service. We are on deck 4 (the very lowest deck for cabins) and I am starting to think that, in the event of an actual emergency, this might not be the best option for us. Lol. That will teach me to book a guaranteed room in the future.

We generally go early because my wife has a hard time with stairs. Most of the muster stations are restaurants or bars, so there will be places to sit. We've beaten the crew to the muster station before, so we have to work on our timing. (I have noticed we're not the only ones going early.)

Also, if you need an elevator to go back to your room after the drill, be prepared to wait. Most of the ship has the same idea. We usually find a bar that's open and have a drink to let the crowds thin out.

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this information! My grandma is in a wheelchair, now, and I was concerned about getting to the Muster drill because I typically don't take the elevator on the ship and have no idea how much time to anticipate for elevator service. We are on deck 4 (the very lowest deck for cabins) and I am starting to think that, in the event of an actual emergency, this might not be the best option for us. Lol. That will teach me to book a guaranteed room in the future.

Remember the movie titanic? Havens and suites first befor opening the gates to Deck 4!

Seriously, the announcements start 30 minutes before muster. Go to your mister station as soon as they start for best wheelchair parking and seats. Watch all of the late comers complain about having to stand for 15 minutes.

When you board you will be given a copy off The Freestyle Daily. On the front page it will give you the Muster Information.

On your room key card will be a Capital Letter ( A,B, C etc) and a Number. The Letter is the location of your Muster Station and the Number- the Section. There is also information on the back of your cabin door.

Enjoy your cruise