Is the 12 day British Isles Cruise a good one

Bright beach girl

You cannot predict the weather or sea conditions

The Irish sea can whip up a gale in no time or you could have smooth sailing

Take sea sick meds with you if you are prone to the motion of the ocean

I agree with LHT that it's impossible to predict. We've recently cruised across the North Sea on Marina and it was pretty much flat as a pancake.

On the other hand, we 've taken the fast ferry from Liverpool to the Isle of Man in the middle of summer and it was very rough - bad enough that they were advisign people to stay seated unless absolutely necessary. A very unpleasant three hours. Not for nothing do regular travellers on that route refer to the ferry as the "Vomit Comet".

I sincerely hope that the sea is not too rough on that cruise, as we are going on it on 9th September!! But you are quite right the North Sea is not always kind.

However, September is often the best month for weather in the UK, and Goodness knows we could do with some pleasant weather here. The summer has been no existent. As LHT 28 suggests, do not go without sick meds.

We are very much looking forward to this cruise because all the ports are unknown to us, although e have lived here all our lives. I hope we get to meet you.

Judith

We are thinking of the Sept. 9 2017 cruise for the North and Irish Seas on the Nautical and worried that the seas might be very rough. Has anyone out there taken this cruise?

We have friends on right now and they tell us it is rainy and cold. They still are having a good time but the weather really sucks and that does put a damper on sightseeing. Just never know. :(:(

I agree with LHT that it's impossible to predict. We've recently cruised across the North Sea on Marina and it was pretty much flat as a pancake.

On the other hand, we 've taken the fast ferry from Liverpool to the Isle of Man in the middle of summer and it was very rough - bad enough that they were advisign people to stay seated unless absolutely necessary. A very unpleasant three hours. Not for nothing do regular travellers on that route refer to the ferry as the "Vomit Comet".

Wish Oceania would pitch for the IoM crossings......The Steampacket is a shadow of its former self and is so badly run that the IoM Government are finally on the warpath. The Mannanan fast cat from Liverpool is forever breaking down, and if you think she's bad in rough seas you need to try the Ben My Chree ferry from Heysham 😰😱😰

Best summer so far in England since 2011.My solar panel reader says so! Until this last week,it's been great.

May is usually the best month in my opinion.August always wet and September bending down towards Autumn,that is,,,anything can happen!

Hope you enjoy yourself,Be prepared and let us know how you get on,Would love to do that cruise.

We play tennis..........outside... This year has been the worst for cancelled games. The only good weather since June, was while we were in Madeira for a week in July and the weather HERE was excellent. As soon as we got home the grunge set in!! And YES we have had the heating on several times since May.

If you come to UK for a holiday, you have to be prepared for unsettled, inclement weather, at any time of the year. For this cruise round the British Isles the best we are hoping for is it to be dry and we will be taking warm clothing and waterproofs.

Judith

Sorry to hear that Judith.I guess east Anglian is the place to be for good weather.

We had early twenties in March,with hottest day for 5 years in this month,mid twenties in April, 2nd half May late twenties,June at 33c and July mid to late 20's.But August a wash out so far and today the only day we haven't had double doors open to garden..Carvananing constantly on Suffolk coast.

So a warning of warm clothing is a good idea and one I would follow if elsewhere in the UK.

Sorry to hear that Judith.I guess east Anglian is the place to be for good weather.

Wells Next the Sea was a bit chilly and rainy for our week in June. First time to North Norfolk and enjoyed it.

I guess us Brits always hope that "tomorrow will be better" !!!:):)

It can be. I reckon our wardrobes must be the biggest in the world as we have to have access to all four seasons' clothing in an average summer week!

I guess us Brits always hope that "tomorrow will be better" !!!:):)

That's a wonderful way to think. Too bad that more of us Yanks do not have the same thought process. :):):)

We are thinking of the Sept. 9 2017 cruise for the North and Irish Seas on the Nautical and worried that the seas might be very rough. Has anyone out there taken this cruise?

Yes, we did this cruise In June on Nautica and thoroughly enjoyed it. the weather was wonderful, the ports terrific, the people both onboard and the locals were most kind. We did skip one port because of a gale but I enjoyed the sea time (Celtic sea, formerly Irish Sea). Had my trusty heavy duty rain jacket but did not need it. the spectacular views coming round the north of Scotland and enrolee to Belfast were worth the trip alone. Go for it and don't be put off by those who tell you otherwise - the leprechauns will look out for you especially after a Guinness or two!:D

(Celtic sea, formerly Irish Sea)

Sorry to be pedantic - but actually not so.

The Celtic Sea is the area of the ocean, broadly off the southern coast of Ireland, until it hits the English Channel. The Irish Sea remains the water between the island of Ireland and the island of Great Britain.

On that cruise now. I am enjoying the cruise despite the cool wet weather. When you take a British Isles cruise, you often get bad weather and seas. Fortunately, the seas have been mostly calm. We haven't missed any ports so far. On the previous cruise, there were delays getting into Edinburgh because of the rough seas. Edinburgh is a tender port. On the present cruise, we arrived on time. However the tender ride was very rough. Be prepared for rain and cool weather. I wish that I brought more long pants and left the shorts home.

That's a wonderful way to think. Too bad that more of us Yanks do not have the same thought process. :):):)

Amazingly the weather has improved today (Saturday) Sun out for part of the afternoon. :cool:Much warmer.

Tomorrow we are going on board Celebrity Eclipse for a tour and lunch while she is moored in Southampton. We think it probably isn't for us (too large) but worth a look.

The OP didn't come back so I guess she decided not to take the risk. Pity. J

On that cruise now. I am enjoying the cruise despite the cool wet weather. When you take a British Isles cruise, you often get bad weather and seas. Fortunately, the seas have been mostly calm. We haven't missed any ports so far. On the previous cruise, there were delays getting into Edinburgh because of the rough seas. Edinburgh is a tender port. On the present cruise, we arrived on time. However the tender ride was very rough. Be prepared for rain and cool weather. I wish that I brought more long pants and left the shorts home.

We will be on Nautica so as far as I know, no tender into Edinburgh. I think you are on Marina, bit larger ship presumably made tendering necessary. So glad you enjoyed the cruise. No shorts required!!!!! J

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from August 1st 12 day British Isles cruise RT Southampton. It was a great cruise. Seas were mostly calm. The worst was the tender ride going into Newhaven (Edinburgh). Weather was mostly cool with a small amount of rain. The only really wet day was in Edinburgh. Other ports were a mix of sun, clouds, and some rain. Wore rain jacket most days.

Sorry to be pedantic - but actually not so.

The Celtic Sea is the area of the ocean, broadly off the southern coast of Ireland, until it hits the English Channel. The Irish Sea remains the water between the island of Ireland and the island of Great Britain.

Thank you , I stand corrected - too eager to embrace the new sea namings. :o