Lueftner River Cruise- Budapest to Passau - Will Motorized Scooter work once on land?

LaurieTelesco

Hello, we are going on a River Cruise to the following ports and want to know if you feel a motorized scooter would be beneficial? I am concerned there mght be cobblestones or too much hills. My cruise mate gets out of breath walking so I was thinking this might help. However, if it won't work, it will be a waste of a very expensive rental. Please advise if you have experience. Thank you!

Ports; Budapest, Bratslavia, Vienna, Durnstein, Melk, Passau, Regensburg

Has anyone done this before on the Amadeus Silver II?

Hello, we are going on a River Cruise to the following ports and want to know if you feel a motorized scooter would be beneficial? I am concerned there mght be cobblestones or too much hills. My cruise mate gets out of breath walking so I was thinking this might help. However, if it won't work, it will be a waste of a very expensive rental. Please advise if you have experience. Thank you!

Ports; Budapest, Bratslavia, Vienna, Durnstein, Melk, Passau, Regensburg

Has anyone done this before on the Amadeus Silver II?

It is more an issue of the ports than the boat IMO.

First, you face the issue of disembarking with the scooters. This is not always possible due to angle or having to cross other ships not of the same height, making it necessary to go up and down steps.

Durnstein and Melk would be very challenging to get around by scooter.

Budapest and Vienna are huge cities. You would first have to get it to the center (not generally walkable from the docking locations), to even attempt to use a scooter.

For Regensburg and Passau, assuming you can get the scooter off of the ship, you would likely be relegated to the flat areas near the docking location.

Thank you very much. It says there is a lot of walking on these tours. My mother has trouble with walking distances (even short) and was hoping this might be a solution. It sounds like there will be too much risk of not using it for the expensive cost that it is. I was willing to pay it, but if there is so much risk in not using it, I don't think that will help. It is a charter so I can't ask the cruise line directly. However, you appear to understand exactly what my concerns were and confirmed this might not be the answer. Thank you!

Thank you very much. It says there is a lot of walking on these tours. My mother has trouble with walking distances (even short) and was hoping this might be a solution. It sounds like there will be too much risk of not using it for the expensive cost that it is. I was willing to pay it, but if there is so much risk in not using it, I don't think that will help. It is a charter so I can't ask the cruise line directly. However, you appear to understand exactly what my concerns were and confirmed this might not be the answer. Thank you!

My mom went with us on 6 river cruises and had varying mobility challenges for all of them. We traveled with AMA and they had special arrangements for those "gentle walkers".

In Durnstein, they rented a small van and took them to the top of the town. This shortened the walk and the difficultly level greatly.

In Melk, the abbey is the highlight and there is quite a bit of walking there. She may not be able to participate in that.

There are no ADA compliance laws (that I am aware of) and some restaurants were challenging, as it is not uncommon to have to go downstairs to use them in many buildings. There is much to consider that may not be obviously apparent and it is great that you doing your research in advance.

In Budapest, I hired a driver and guide so that my mother would not miss out and could be comfortable. That may be the better investment.

My mom went with us on 6 river cruises and had varying mobility challenges for all of them. We traveled with AMA and they had special arrangements for those "gentle walkers".

In Durnstein, they rented a small van and took them to the top of the town. This shortened the walk and the difficultly level greatly.

In Melk, the abbey is the highlight and there is quite a bit of walking there. She may not be able to participate in that.

There are no ADA compliance laws (that I am aware of) and some restaurants were challenging, as it is not uncommon to have to go downstairs to use them in many buildings. There is much to consider that may not be obviously apparent and it is great that you doing your research in advance.

In Budapest, I hired a driver and guide so that my mother would not miss out and could be comfortable. That may be the better investment.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! great helpful comments. I will hire a driver and guide in Budapest. wonderful idea! Thanks for the info about stairs too. You absolutely get my concerns!