HAL Signature Beverage Package

chaunceyb

We have booked a HAL Alaska cruise for 2018 and it includes free Signature Beverage package. As a note, we normally sale on another "all inclusive" line (will remain unnamed) but the HAL Alaska cruise met our port requirements, dates, and sails into Glacier Bay, so we booked it.

I looked at a copy the HAL's bar menu and saw that only two or three wines were $9.00 or less out of about a dozen offered; and the ones $9.00 and under were from marginal producers. HAL policy is that any wine above $9.00 then you pay the full price.

I FIND IT VERY CURIOUS THAT HAL OFFERS THIS BEVERAGE PACKAGE AND THEN PRICES THE MAJORITY OF THEIR WINES JUST ABOVE THE $9.00 PRICE.

HAL should allow passengers to pay the difference, but they won't, this is why they will never be our first choice but will only book them when absolutely necessary:(

There is another Beverage Package that once you are on the ship, you can pay the difference for it and upgrade to better wines by the glass.

Which is precisely the reason why the wines are priced as they are, it is simply income generation and all cruiselines do it!!

wine drinkers do get quite a raw deal in their choice with the package, most beers , spirits and cocktail's fall within the limit so there is plenty to choose from, unless you only drink wine .

wine drinkers do get quite a raw deal in their choice with the package, most beers , spirits and cocktail's fall within the limit ...
How much of that is a reflection of how much of a "raw deal" (read: excessively expensive due to creating a mystique around a specific wine that works very much like a captive marketplace) wine is, generally?

We have booked a HAL Alaska cruise for 2018 and it includes free Signature Beverage package. As a note, we normally sale on another "all inclusive" line (will remain unnamed) but the HAL Alaska cruise met our port requirements, dates, and sails into Glacier Bay, so we booked it.

I looked at a copy the HAL's bar menu and saw that only two or three wines were $9.00 or less out of about a dozen offered; and the ones $9.00 and under were from marginal producers. HAL policy is that any wine above $9.00 then you pay the full price.

I FIND IT VERY CURIOUS THAT HAL OFFERS THIS BEVERAGE PACKAGE AND THEN PRICES THE MAJORITY OF THEIR WINES JUST ABOVE THE $9.00 PRICE.

HAL should allow passengers to pay the difference, but they won't, this is why they will never be our first choice but will only book them when absolutely necessary:(

If by two or three, you meant twelve, then you are absolutely right. Here's the wine list from the Main Dining Room. You can get almost all of these wines at the bars, too.

If you want more in the way of wine, do what we did. We upgraded to the Elite Beverage Package for $10/pp per day ($11.50 with the 15% gratuity.) It will give you access to every wine by the glass with the exception of the Veuve, and the Nicolas Feuillatte is just as good. Have two glasses of Champagne per day and you're covering your upcharge. (If you can't drink two glasses of Champagne a day, we can't be friends.) Our primary reason for upgrading was to gain access to the Pinot Noirs. There's no SBP eligible Pinot, which is and annoying oversight.

The late December 2016 list from Eurodam. Bear in mind that will likely be some changes, however, the composition of the list remains pretty consistent. (In case it's not obvious, I really pay attention to this stuff. Probably too much. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.)

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh!tz Riesling (Spelled wrong on list, spelled with an exclamation point here to end run the naughty words filter.) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

"free Signature Beverage package":(

that's pretty funny,

How abut, it's a 7 day cruise, you bring on two good bottles of wine to start. Maybe bring another, pay the corkage and "struggle" for a few days.

10 day cruise, more "extra" bottles or more "struggle".

Maybe a good glass (yours) and house wine as a follow up.

Lot's of way's to skin that cat.

HAL should allow passengers to pay the difference, but they won't,

You've taken a bit of a "beating" so far in some answers. So I have to say, I agree with you. We had the Signature Beverage Package in the Explore 4 deal on our only cruise on HAL. First let me say it was a FANTASTIC cruise and I'll definitely be back to HAL.

Ok, so, we are usually Royal Caribbean cruisers. We don't do beverage packages because as Diamond Plus we get free happy hour from 5-8:30 every night. Since we aren't huge drinkers, that is normally our time, a couple of drinks in the lounge before dinner and maybe a glass of wine or two at dinner. So beverage packages are a waste for us. But on HAL, it was a very nice feature. However the wine selection is very limited. We had a few glasses, but there was really only two or 3 that we liked. On Royal Caribbean if you buy a drink or wine not included in the package you pay the DIFFERENCE. That would have been nice. We did appreciate the opportunity to upgrade the package, but after looking at it, we felt we wouldn't really take enough advantage to warrant it. My wife did buy a nice glass of wine for $12 or so, but only once.

I will say, RCCL has a better package. Both people in the cabin don't have to buy it, there is no limit on drinks per day, the value of the drinks covers most wines and drinks on the ship, if you buy a drink or glass of wine valued over the package limit you only pay the additional, and you get a 20-40 percent discount on bottles of wine. Would be nice to see a package more like this on HAL. I would also like to see HAL offer free happy hour in the Neptune Lounge for Neptune and Pinnacle Suite guests.

However, drinks and wines are significantly cheaper on HAL, and RCCL never seems to offer any packages in the U.S. that include Beverage like the Explore 4.

Which is precisely the reason why the wines are priced as they are, it is simply income generation and all cruiselines do it!!

No, all cruise lines do not do it. =X= allows you to pay the difference, and I believe that Royal does as well.

If by two or three, you meant twelve, then you are absolutely right. Here's the wine list from the Main Dining Room. You can get almost all of these wines at the bars, too.

If you want more in the way of wine, do what we did. We upgraded to the Elite Beverage Package for $10/pp per day ($11.50 with the 15% gratuity.) It will give you access to every wine by the glass with the exception of the Veuve, and the Nicolas Feuillatte is just as good. Have two glasses of Champagne per day and you're covering your upcharge. (If you can't drink two glasses of Champagne a day, we can't be friends.) Our primary reason for upgrading was to gain access to the Pinot Noirs. There's no SBP eligible Pinot, which is and annoying oversight.

The late December 2016 list from Eurodam. Bear in mind that will likely be some changes, however, the composition of the list remains pretty consistent. (In case it's not obvious, I really pay attention to this stuff. Probably too much. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.)

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh!tz Riesling (Spelled wrong on list, spelled with an exclamation point here to end run the naughty words filter.) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

Excellent info for my trip planning!

No, all cruise lines do not do it. =X= allows you to pay the difference, and I believe that Royal does as well.

I should have been clearer, but my reference was to income generation and not specifically in relation to drinks packages. I would argue that the way NCL do it is to have ridiculously expensive drinks (and drinks packages). more than any other line we have sailed....and we have sailed on 14 different cruiselines! RCL and Celebrity, to be fair, have the option to only purchase one package per cabin....so if one party does not drink much, the other than purchase a package alone without being obligated to purchase for each.

At the end of the day, cruiselines are in business for profit and their business models are designed to maximise such....that was my original point!