Food Etiquette

PetaAnne

Hi Guys,

Im posting here because we are set to sail on POA again, but I had a random question.

Is it bad etiquette / frowned upon, to take a plate of food from the buffet, back to your room to eat on your balcony. (specifically breakfast).

Some mornings - I just need a feed and a coffee before I deal with people! :'):'):')

It's not a problem. Nobody cares. If somebody does care, it's just not your problem.

When you approach the buffet, grab 2 plates stacked, get your food, then flip the bottom plate to cover the food.

No bathrobes. Brush teeth, wash hands, clothes, shades. :cool:

We do it often. The two plates thing is a good idea to avoid spilling - and of course you then have a plate to share.

We would never go there in a bathrobe. I know some people might - I guess taking 60 seconds to put clothes on is just too much... LOL!

We would never go there in a bathrobe. I know some people might - I guess taking 60 seconds to put clothes on is just too much... LOL!

One morning we went to the buffet for breakfast. We walked up the stairs and I was not paying attention to the floor we had attained (or which staircase we had ascended). When we arrived at a floor I assumed was the one for the buffer I saw two people in bath robes. In my mind, I had thought we were on the other side of the ship and were near the spa. I stopped, took a better look, and to notice that we were, in fact, near the buffet. I started laughing as did my DW (she also had the same thought).

To add...

When you are finished, please do not leave your dirty dishes outside of your stateroom/in the hallway. Leave them inside and the room steward will take care of them....or take them back to the buffet yourself.

I think it depends on your cabin steward. On Getaway, our steward told us to leave everything in the room and he would clean it up. On Escape, our steward told us to put everything in the hallway because somebody else would come get it. Sometimes we left a breakfast plate in the cabin and it would sit there all day long, through morning service and evening turndown.

I think it depends on your cabin steward. On Getaway, our steward told us to leave everything in the room and he would clean it up. On Escape, our steward told us to put everything in the hallway because somebody else would come get it. Sometimes we left a breakfast plate in the cabin and it would sit there all day long, through morning service and evening turndown.

Yea this has happed to us many times. I don't know why the folks do not pick up the trays at times and leave them sit . Most of the times it is from room service.

But that being said I pick up stuff from the buffet for breakfast and I leave the plates in the room if they fix the room up and do not take the plates I place them in the hall if they stay too long I put them on there cart myself.

According to Andy Stewart, the story goes like this.....

Frank Del Rio was on one of the ships and didn't like seeing dirty dishes in the hallway nor did he like the stains left in the carpet from passengers spilling food while walking back to the stateroom. That's what led to FDR to "ban" take-out food. Some said that it was a money grab as NCL had just previously added the room service charge. NCL claimed that it was a passenger safety issue as food eaten outside of the restaurant might not be a safe temperature and other sanitary concerns. In reality, it was just FDR not liking what he saw.

Supposedly, NCL will now have patrols to scour the area and clean up any dishes left in the hallways. In reality, there are still dishes left in the hallways for unknown periods of time.

It really is in bad taste to remove food from a dining venue. In any hospitality setting there are certain areas for certain things. Dining rooms and buffets are for food, hallways are for getting from one to another, pool decks are pool activities, and so on. You would not walk yourself down an inside hallway if you were soaking wet from the pool. Water belongs around the pool or in your shower. The same goes for food. A hallway is not a place to carry food through. The smell is one thing, the possible spillage is another and then there is the safety factor. Rough seas are part of cruising and I am sure that more than a few people have spilled something hot onto themselves or others, not to mention a slippery spill on a tiles surface somewhere. If any food is to be eaten in a stateroom it should be delivered. Proper etiquette in a "real or proper" hospitality setting dictates that food stay where it is eaten.

Now have I taken food from the buffet? Yes one time when my wife was sick, I brought her a sandwich. After that time I always order room service, that is what it is there for.

It really is in bad taste to remove food from a dining venue. In any hospitality setting there are certain areas for certain things. Dining rooms and buffets are for food, hallways are for getting from one to another, pool decks are pool activities, and so on. You would not walk yourself down an inside hallway if you were soaking wet from the pool. Water belongs around the pool or in your shower. The same goes for food. A hallway is not a place to carry food through. The smell is one thing, the possible spillage is another and then there is the safety factor. Rough seas are part of cruising and I am sure that more than a few people have spilled something hot onto themselves or others, not to mention a slippery spill on a tiles surface somewhere. If any food is to be eaten in a stateroom it should be delivered. Proper etiquette in a "real or proper" hospitality setting dictates that food stay where it is eaten.

Now have I taken food from the buffet? Yes one time when my wife was sick, I brought her a sandwich. After that time I always order room service, that is what it is there for.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider it "bad taste". The room service menu is limited, and for breakfast at least, anything hot requires an extra charge. I see nothing wrong with taking a plate of food to enjoy in the stateroom. My kids eat breakfast on the balcony for about half the days of the cruise.

Your olfactory senses must be superhuman if you can detect the smell of a plate of food that has been carried down a hallway anything longer than 5 seconds ago. As far as potential spillage? If you see any spillage, feel free to point it out to a cabin steward.

I'm not sure why it should offend anyone if others are bringing food back to their cabins. I think eating breakfast on a balcony while at sea is very enjoyable.

its perfectly fine to bring food back to your room. ive never had spillage, but ive also never tried to carry soup, adn we also dont heap our plates even when eating in the buffet. we usually bring back a few slices of pizza, or perhaps a burger.

I guess they need to eliminate the pool side barbecue since pool decks are for pool activities...