Oxygen therapy and cluster headaches

leb

We are booked on Regent Mariner Mediterranean cruise next year. Would be interested in knowing if any members who have been dx with cluster migraines have any suggestions or thoughts on obtaining the oxygen therapy needed while on European cruise.

First of all, check with Regent about specific guidelines or requirements for you to follow.

As you will be starting from overseas, you will need to find an overseas company. They will deliver directly to the ship at whichever port you are and will work with Regent. They can handle all the details for you. I would ask your TA for assistance in finding an HME company.

Enjoy your cruise.

Presuming your cluster headaches are unpredictable, episodic, and not daily, is there any reason why you could not just visit the health center on board if one strikes?

If this is feasible for your headache pattern, it would seem to be so much easier (if needed) than procuring / providing carriage for the oxygen from external sources.

Edited by ededmd

Thank you for your comments. I have researched the boards and contacted my TA who in turn had me call Care Vacations. They are investigating the availability of the equipment and will get back to me. I have been told that oxygen tanks are not available for cruises in Europe. ededmd - you are correct about the patterns of the headaches - my husband usually suffers with his headaches during the night and therefore having the oxygen by the bedside works best for him. Early and quick intervention minimizes the length of the headache. I will keep investigating but also hope that he will be in a remission period while we are away.

We were on a cruise last summer with someone that needed oxygen at night so our pre cruise hotel rented the equipment for us, and we took it onboard the ship. We shipped it back to the hotel when we arrived in Rome, our last stop.

We arrainged this about 3 month pre cruise because the cruise line would not help us get the needed equipment. Your TA should be able to make these plans for you.

• 4 weeks later...

An update - It seems that obtaining oxygen with the flow capacity and tank that my husband needs is impossible in Europe. We have been in touch with the suggested suppliers and were told that it is unavailable. Our TA is trying one last avenue through Regent. It would appear our special gift to ourselves of our first cruise in Europe will not materialize. Thank you to all who posted.

• 1 year later...

Leb, did you ever find anything more out about getting the needed oxygen equipment for cluster headache sufferers either/and for European and/or American or cruises anywhere.

I am a chronic cluster headache sufferer starting about 3-5 years ago brought up by dr a few years ago and fully confirmed this year. Oxygen and sumatriptan make all the difference - particularly the oxygen for me to be more functional. I used to travel all the time including in Europe thought not on cruises. Really miss it and would like to start taking cruises with my family. The oxygen issue has been holding me back since it requires a 10LPM flow for 20 to 30 mins to abort a headache. Did you find anything successfully info or solution-wise that might benefit some of us other sufferers too, please? You are the only one I have seen on the boards after searching for a week that has brought this topic up, which is why I am reaching out to you for info. Thanks very much.

This thread is over 14 months since the last post.... Did you try sending an e-mail to the address the last poster listed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Nana, I found the thread and posting about oxygen and cluster headaches by doing a search after having been looking for info in the forums the non search way for the last few days intensely with no luck. I just joined this week so this is all pretty new to me. Haven't figured out how to send an email to the address the last poster listed. Tried to but didn't see one or know where to go - I did look at the profile to try.Any tip is appreciated thanks - also didn't realize there was a time limit- the search function doesn't seem to differentiate between old or new threads or archived ones and it is really kind of hard to tell as a new person. Thanks for the patience. :)

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Just click on his email, not the one I'm posting, (pommee45636@mypacks.net) which will open a blank letter for you to explain your circumstances and see how things turned out with the original poster. Up in the top right hand corner of the page is the word SEND. Hope this helps. It's been so long you might want to copy/paste the original plus her update to refresh Busdriver's memory. I do hope you find an answer :)

Patty

Edited by Lvtocruize2
add more info

thanks. just found out for anyone else who needs to know that Carevacations can do it for those with cluster headaches for certain ports if you arrange it with them far enough in advance so they can move equipment to the port town if needed. I just got approved for it and am thrilled that I will indeed be able to take my cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks. just found out for anyone else who needs to know that Carevacations can do it for those with cluster headaches for certain ports if you arrange it with them far enough in advance so they can move equipment to the port town if needed. I just got approved for it and am thrilled that I will indeed be able to take my cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YAY for you!!!! Now relax and enjoy your cruise! :):)

Patty