Independence may 3rd

We ended up booking a private tour company for Jamaica. They were AMAZING! Tell them to show you the island in their own way. Three things I would see that stood out for me.

1) Little Dun River Falls. Unlike it's big brother, this place is quiet and not CROWDED with boatloads (literally) of tourists. You can't climb the falls but hey you can't have everything.

2) Have them take you to Scotchies Drax Hall for lunch!!! This place was recommended by many before we went on the cruise and also by the locals. Jerk Chicken with rice and peas (beans) and a festival are a must. Throw in a red stripe beer and you are all set.

3) If you do a private tour check out Fern Gully. Lush vegetation there and views are gorgeous.

One thing we couldn't do because it was too far was go to Blue Mountain. Negril is also too far. You can check out Montego Bay since that's close but we didn't go. There's always next time!

If you do decide to use a private tour company, I recommend Know Jamaica. Run by mother and son team of Marva and Javia Shaw. They will show you a good time just make sure that you tell them that you want THEM to be your guides. They will on occasion farm out to an outside tour guide if they are busy for the day.

Oh, and one more thing, please ignore the MANY warnings people will have about the locals swamping you to sell stuff. Remember they are only trying to make a living. They were all very friendly with us and not too pushy. If you're not interested politely say so and they usually will tell you to have a nice day and to enjoy their island paradise. :) You can also tell Marva or Javia to skip the more populated tourist areas to avoid this experience if it really bothers you.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Majestic-NJ

Going on the Independence may 3rd western Caribbean. First time in Falmouth. Any suggestions on what to do there? Also Cozumel, we have been there but need new ideas.

Thanks in advance for ideas! :):)

Just did the jamiaca culinary tour. It was fabulous.

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Going on the Independence may 3rd western Caribbean. First time in Falmouth. Any suggestions on what to do there? Also Cozumel, we have been there but need new ideas.

I do not know if it has changed quite a bit but I STRONGLY disagree with last post saying not to be worried. be cautious with the vendors they did have several policemen at the gate to be watchful and after you get to the 1st intersection it does calm down.they are aggressively selling their wares . I wasn't afraid but could intimidate others . just keep walking most will not get in your personal space and to be fair I was last there in 2013. still a port not to be missed enjoy and happy cruising Edited by help04me

I do not know if it has changed quite a bit but I STRONGLY disagree with last post saying not to be worried. be cautious with the vendor they did have several policemen at the gate to be watchful and after you get to the 1st intersection it does calm down.they are aggressively selling their wares . I wasn't afraid but could intimidate others . just keep walking most will not get in your personal space and to be fair I was last there in 2013. still a port not to be missed enjoy and happy cruising

I agree with this. When you first walk out of the gates, you will get swarmed with vendors but if you keep going it calms down

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I spoke of the vendors I did not mean directly outside of the cruise terminal. That's the same regardless of the island you go to. Cozumel as well. What I meant was in the other areas of the island where it was present but not quite as concentrated. I was in Falmouth in February of 2013 on Liberty. We can't wait to go back again.

Wondering if the OP ever saw my reply. Hoping it helped.