Cabin help with the Serenade of the Seas

I am looking for some help in selecting a cabin on the Serenade of the Seas. It is a Scandinavian cruise in May and we are a family of 3. I am looking to book a Balcony Cabin ( Category E1 or E2 or E3 ). I was initially assigned 9512 and this looks way forward.

My questions are -

1. Is there typically a lot of rocking in Deck 9 forward on a ship the size of the Serenade? There is one person in the family who has been sea sick a little in the past. We have mostly been in the bigger size ships before.

2. Is there a lot of obstruction out of the Deck 9 balcony forward cabins in the Serenade?

3. What would you all recommends as the best location for a E1 through E3 cabin on this ship?

Thanks all in advance.

I loved my aft balcony cabin on serenade, because the balconies are bigger and I love the view of the ship's wake!

Last year I couldn't get an aft, so we had a mid aft balcony and our friends had a hump balcony. I don't theforward on any ship!

Good luck!

I am looking for some help in selecting a cabin on the Serenade of the Seas. It is a Scandinavian cruise in May and we are a family of 3. I am looking to book a Balcony Cabin ( Category E1 or E2 or E3 ). I was initially assigned 9512 and this looks way forward.

My questions are -

1. Is there typically a lot of rocking in Deck 9 forward on a ship the size of the Serenade? There is one person in the family who has been sea sick a little in the past. We have mostly been in the bigger size ships before.

2. Is there a lot of obstruction out of the Deck 9 balcony forward cabins in the Serenade?

3. What would you all recommends as the best location for a E1 through E3 cabin on this ship?

Thanks all in advance.

I loved my aft balcony cabin on serenade, because the balconies are bigger and I love the view of the ship's wake!

Last year I couldn't get an aft, so we had a mid aft balcony and our friends had a hump balcony. I don't theforward on any ship!

Good luck!

There are no Category E cabins on the aft of the Serenade.

1) Rocking would be more dependent on sea conditions than room location. The best place during rough seas would be down on deck 2 - but there are no balconies there. Balcony in the middle would be only slightly better

2) No obstruction -at the front you would be able to see the bridge overhang looking upward.

3) No real preferred location for that cabin type

Deck 7 and 8 have E cabins on the Hump (center of the ship, bumped out section) that have slightly larger balconies.

Deck 7 has cabins towards the aft that have larger balconies however they are not as private as the extra couple of feet of balcony towards the rail only has the privacy divider half way up.

You said that you were assigned your cabin - did you book a guarantee? If so, you may only be able to switch for a cabin in the category you were assigned. The good news is that it's an E-1, so you could try for one of the hump cabins on Deck 8 if one is available. Otherwise you would have to request that you go back into the guarantee pool and see what they have assign you.

I had 8102 last month and loved everything about it except for the noise from the Centrum. The balcony is extra large, with two loungers, two chairs, a dining height table and a small lower height table. All were in rough shape, but they functioned fine.

They do close the fire doors in the evening, so you do get some respite from the noise. I am on the fence whether I would book it again.

As for your original assignment, if there's a lot of ocean movement you will likely feel it, but you could get lucky and have smooth sailing. The location is convenient to the forward elevators, which are lightly used most of the time, the Solarium (which has the Park Cafe), spa and gym.

If your travelling companion only gets a little seasick, s/he should try Bonine (generic meclizine is fine), Sea Bands or ginger, after making sure that s/he isn't on any meds that would interfere with it.

Thanks all for the responses. I am thinking of getting 7090 which is more midship on the 7th deck.

Any body have any experience of concerns if any with this cabin or similar?

I would go with Deck 7 - I think the view from the balcony is better on 7. We were in 8066 earlier this month and were a bit (just a small bit - not a huge deal breaker) disappointed that we looked down upon a white platform (about 10 feet wide) instead of down into the ocean. You could see over it but you could not look straight down into the water.

If we go on Serenade again I would go for deck 7.

We just got off a B2B on the Serenade and had cabin 8594 on the center of the hump. We love this location as it is close to the elevators and you are not bothered by the noise in the Centrum at night because of the wall that separates the cabins and the Centrum. It's also a great location because you can see forward and aft from your balcony and there are no obstructions from the lifeboats below you, so you can see right to the water. I always book a mid ship cabin as I am prone to seasickness.

Thanks all for the responses. I am thinking of getting 7090 which is more midship on the 7th deck.

I would definitely not go with that deck 7 cabin. I'd personally stick with that you have.

The deck 7 balcony will have a very large platform in front, which blocks views straight down to the ocean.

I would go with Deck 7 - I think the view from the balcony is better on 7. We were in 8066 earlier this month and were a bit (just a small bit - not a huge deal breaker) disappointed that we looked down upon a white platform (about 10 feet wide) instead of down into the ocean. You could see over it but you could not look straight down into the water.

If we go on Serenade again I would go for deck 7.

The view of that big white lifeboat cover is much worse from deck 7 than it is from deck 8. :) I would avoid deck 7, unless you have one of the balcony cabins (on deck 7 only) at the front of the ship. They balcony is larger, and they are ahead of the covers, and have a view straight down to the water.

Edited by Coralc

Thanks all for the feedback. The proximity of the white platform in deck 7 midship does not seem ideal. Considering all the feedback i have so far i will try for a midship cabin on 8 or 9 or 10. Will these be the best options if i want to be away from the white platform? Otherwise it aeems like i have to go more forward which i would like to avoid.

Incredibly good and specific feedback. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Forums mobile app

Think of he he ship as a see-saw and the sea as the middle part. The "middle" point is actually a little aft of dead center (don't ask me why; DH told me and has 23 years of experience in the Navy, so I believe him). Therefore the forward section of the ship will move more than the aft section. Both will move more than the center.

On a Scandinavia cruise, we have experienced glassy seas and 30' waves, so I would plan for maximum stability (center cabin down low) and bring seasickness remedies.

Just a note on this, I knew I had 8602 as an E2 balcony in Nov of next year... but right now it's showing as an E1. It looks like it goes through an update in April and the rooms are rated differently. Be sure that you are looking at the correct deck plan for the time of your cruise.

We did a TA in cabin 7596 and you heard everything over the sound system from the Centrum as it is blasted all the way up to the 7th floor. There are speaks mounted on the 7th floor for anything happening on the 4th floor in the Centrum area. We would close the fire doors from the hallway to the business center, but you still could hear some of the noise. On the good side of it, all the music would stop by 11 or 12 every night. If you wish to take a nap in the middle of the day, you will need ear plugs. Avoid this area around the Centrum area on all floors.

• 10 months later...

Hi KeywestK/Karen,

We are cruising on Serenade of the Seas April 18, 2016 in cabin E1-7094 and noticed that you had stayed in 7092 before. We usually have a deluxe ocean view balcony cabin and this is our first time with this type of balcony. Were there both lounge chairs and regular chairs? Did the balcony make the cabin feel "dark/closed in" since it was long/pie shaped? The deck plan shows it is close to the elevator?