national express - southampton question

darthwolf

disembarking from off the QE in Southampton. Scheduled for 8am.

planning to take a cab to the coach station hoping to take the 9:30am Coach to Victoria.

2 question, will there be enough time when the boat docks @ 8am to make the coach at 9:30?

2nd question, is it better to pre-purchase the tickets on-line. My concern is that if we can't make the 9:30 the tickets are invalid. Or should we purchase the tickets with the bus driver but that's subject to availability.

Assuming you can get off at 8am (as in G's post) you should easily make the 0930 coach. They are hardly any immigration/customs checks on cruise ships arriving at Southampton and its only a 5 minute drive to the coach station.

BOOK YOUR TICKETS!!! A lot of people will probably doing similar to you and the only way to guarantee a seat is to have pre booked...it should be a bit cheaper too!

Simon

Life gets confusing when different sources quote times due at berth or times due to disembark without being specific about what they mean. :mad:

Cunard and most other ships usually arrive at Southampton around 5am while you are still in the land of nod, with disembarkation from around 7am. They like to have their ships pretty empty by 9am.

So yes, Simon is very probably right that 8am will be when disembarkation starts.

If so, then yes you should have plenty of time - the coach station is less than ten minutes away.

But if not, keep me out of it - it's up to Simon to refund your wasted coach tickets :D

Check various agents' websites and port/shipping info websites to see what time they quote.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk quote around 7am for Cunarder arrivals but currently only list 2014 shipping movements.

And e-mail Cunard.

What date does your cruise end?

Yes, do pre-book the coach. It of course has limited capacity, the service is quite infrequent and it's a popular time, especially amongst your fellow-cruisers. Some cruisers take a bit of a risk and book the earlier coach, around 8.30, and I've not seen any reports of missing booked coaches out of Southampton.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I hesitate a little to say this, as I am not 100% sure, but expect someone will soon come along who knows for definite....

I have often used National Express coaches. They are amazingly punctual and well organised. I seem to think though, that if you miss your coach which you have booked, there is no problem transferring it to another coach - obviously provided there are seats.

I hesitate a little to say this, as I am not 100% sure, but expect someone will soon come along who knows for definite....

I have often used National Express coaches. They are amazingly punctual and well organised. I seem to think though, that if you miss your coach which you have booked, there is no problem transferring it to another coach - obviously provided there are seats.

Unfortunately the service from Southampton to London is fairly infrequent, next coach about 11Am IIRC.

And although there is likely to be spare capacity on later coaches, nowadays pre-purchased tickets are only good for the booked coach - the OP would have to pay for fresh tickets. (tickets on coaches from airports can be switched to a later coach, subject to an admin. fee, because of the prospects of delayed flights or formalities)

Edited by John Bull

thanks for all the info.

I'll have to double check with Cunard first as it doesn't show the time. My TA's schedule shows a 8am docking time, cruise ends on Dec 16, 2014.

Just check the site, looks like arrival time is 8am

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

QUEEN ELIZABETH 16-Dec-14 08:00

Good thing looks like it's the only ship in port so hopefully won't be too crazy.

whoops here's an added twist. so according to http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Cunard/Queen_Elizabeth/December_2014/

The QE is scheduled to arrive 6:30am, Your right JB, too many different sources of info.

13-Dec-14 17:00 16-Dec-14 06:30 At Sea

16-Dec-14 06:30 16-Dec-14 16:30 Southampton, England

Edited by darthwolf
addition

thanks for all the info.

I'll have to double check with Cunard first as it doesn't show the time. My TA's schedule shows a 8am docking time, cruise ends on Dec 16, 2014.

Just check the site, looks like arrival time is 8am

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

QUEEN ELIZABETH 16-Dec-14 08:00

Good thing looks like it's the only ship in port so hopefully won't be too crazy.

whoops here's an added twist. so according to http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Cunard/Queen_Elizabeth/December_2014/

The QE is scheduled to arrive 6:30am, Your right JB, too many different sources of info.

13-Dec-14 17:00 16-Dec-14 06:30 At Sea

16-Dec-14 06:30 16-Dec-14 16:30 Southampton, England

The National Express website shows a coach leaving on the 1/2 hour throughout the day. I would prebook the 10:30 for $7bps as you would make that time without a problem. The 10:30 time was pretty stress free when we disembarked at Southampton last month.

I have to comment on post #3 above, about "hardly any immigration/customs checks on cruise ships arriving at Southampton".

Just last month we came off Oceania at Southampton. Oceania had our passports, and when we arrived in Southampton they called us by luggage tag number/colour to reclaim our passports, then go and physically talk to the immigration officers, who were in the lounge. Every single passenger got asked questions about how long they were staying in Britain and what they were doing, before they got their passports stamped and we were allowed to disembark. This was not a quick process! And we were on Nautica, so less than 700 passengers. We berthed before 6.00am. The immigration clearance finished about 8.30am. We saw the last passengers go into the lounge for checking, and the officers leave the ship when they had finished everyone.

We only had about 12 hours in England before our flight out of Heathrow, so it didn't take them long to sign us off, but others were getting asked many questions about their travel plans. Customs checks were non-existent in the terminal building once you got off the ship - you could just walk straight through.

We then caught a taxi to the bus station, which took all of 5 minutes! Even though we were in the last group to leave the ship we could have easily caught the 9.45am coach to Heathrow, but we were booked on the following departure, at 11.30am.

Watching the activity at Southampton bus station, nobody was buying tickets off the drivers, but they were using the self service ticket machines in the station, as well as the manned counter. But I would definitely book the coach you want into London beforehand!

Well that has certainly changed since we were last there. There was talk that Immigration officers were going to be more pro active at Southampton, but no one has really reported on it since. Another delay one has to consider!:rolleyes:

Simon

Well that has certainly changed since we were last there. There was talk that Immigration officers were going to be more pro active at Southampton, but no one has really reported on it since. Another delay one has to consider!:rolleyes:

Simon

Yes, news to me too, Simon. :confused:

Can't imagine it's the new norm, or we'd have heard about it from various sources. And I've not heard of passports being retained by a ship on cruises UK to UK, perhaps that ties in with the passengers on that particular cruise being quizzed.

Mebbe there was a reason to target that ship - where had you sailed, Kiwi? Or any other reason you can think why they may have targetted the ship?

BTW, yes everyone goes through customs. But you'd only know about it if an officer steps out and asks if you, or someone near you, would please step to one side. As has happened to me.

Like immigration, customs checks tend to be intelligence-driven.

I was quizzed about cigarettes, yes I had a large quantity. Bought duty-paid in an EU port, perfectly legal, officer was satisfied. But why was I singled out? Well, my bag was taken ashore first thing by the crew as usual & ready in line for me in the terminal along with everyone else's, and I'm pretty sure it aroused the suspicions of a heavy-smoking four-legged customs officer ;)

We did a British Isles cruise in 2004 R/T Dover ... the ship kept our passports but I do not recall going through all that questioning the last day ...

we were on the bus to LHR at 6:15am

Could be the latest terrorist threats in the UK so new security measures

Good thing we are staying on in Southampton next yr ;)

Lyn

I should have said - ours was not a UK to UK cruise. We started in Stockholm, cruised around the Baltic, and finished in Southampton. Oceania collected all passports in Amsterdam, as they said they needed them for the next stop in Zeebrugge. And the Belgians must have checked at least some, if not all, individual passports, as they were stamped for that port when we got them back. Maybe they just stamped the non EU passports - ours are NZ. But we have not had that happen on other cruises visiting other EU ports, or even at the other EU ports on this same cruise.

Everybody had to present themselves to UK immigration, regardless of nationality, once they had got their passports back.

How far in advance can you book with Nationalexpress? I seem to see only reservations 60 days ahead. Traveling Southampton to Gatwick, so limited buses.

I checked up to early May so more than 60 days

Check http://www.nationalrail.co.uk too as trains run direct to LGW from Southampton and might suit your timings better.

Simon

Yes an excellent hourly direct train service - except on Sunday's, when the direct train doesn't run so the journey involves several changes.

So usual advice for travel between Southampton and Gatwick is to take the Nat Express bus on a Sunday (and sometimes on bank holidays) and the train on the other days of the week.

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for the info. Of course we dock on a Sunday, so the bus is the easiest public option. Just want to make sure we get seats. Late May doesn't seem to be able to be booked yet.

I've just done a dummy booking for 31st May and it comes up OK. Unfortunately, it looks like there is only one service that day to LGW. Leaves Soton at 1530 and arrives LGW 2055 (which I assume won't work for you). So you can either i) change your flight, stay in Soton for a day and get the train on Monday or ii) go a different way!

Realistic choices are i) a car service (Smiths for Airports, West Quay Cars etc) or ii) the train. Currently you can't book that far ahead on the national rail site, but I did a dummy for Sunday 4th January. You can get the Southampton - Littlehampton train and change at Barnham onto the Bognor Regis - London Victoria train and get off at LGW. Takes about 2 1/2 hrs for £14.90, or get the Soton -Portsmouth train, and change at Fratton on to the London train (also £14,90, but about 20 mins longer). There are about 3 trains an hour which work for you, but I would avoid one that involves a change at Clapham Junction...nightmare station with luggage!

Simon

Many thanks.We will actually need the bus on 6/14, which apparently is not up yet. I'll keep looking! Would you have any idea how often they extend booking dates?

I am watching for June 6th so will let you know when I see those dates for the bus

I am sure you will not have a problem getting seats even if you wait until Dec ;)

What time is your flight?

I see 2 direct buses for May 10th ...maybe other dates are the same times

dep9:20 arr 11:45

dep 11:55 arr 14:20

Lyn

Edited by LHT28