Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old January 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Cases of water/pop/diapers??

I am booked on an upcoming cruise to Hawaii 2/5/06 on the Island Princess. I'm bringing my 19 month old and was wondering how hard would it be to simply buy a bulk case of diapers at Sam's club the day before and have them bring that up to my room. I would rather not carry a case of diapers with me on a flight from across the country, that space could be used for other things. The same goes for cases of flavored water or pop that they may not offer on the cruise. Has anyone done this before, and what prcedures should I take? Should I pack them in a suitcase or simply put a room sticker on them? I don't know if it's ok to do this or not, but I wanted to know if I need to pack it away or leave it out in the open. You can also e-mail me at Mommain04@aol.com . Thanks!!!

Last edited by MomIn04; January 30th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.

Old January 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

You could buy a case of diapers and put a luggage tag on it at the pier. I wouldn't put pop in a suitcase unless you want it to explode all over everything. You can carry it on and you can carry water on but the ships water is better then bottled water. It's sea water that has had the salt removed and purified.
Star Princess - 2/05 Eastern Caribbean
Star Princess 7/03 Alaska

Old January 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Buy everything locally....

....then slap a luggage tag over the box of diapers or a case of water bottles. I've seen it done.

As for sodas, I put 2 fridge cases in one box (24 cans) and sealed it. Then I put a luggage tag over it. Since we travelled by car locally, that was easily done. But I suppose you can put a luggage tag on soda, but I haven't seen anyone done that yet. But I see no problem slapping a ship's luggage tag on the cases of drinks that Princess do not serve on board.

If you were travelling by plane to Hawaii, remember the rule of thumb for packing diapers in your diaper bag is 1 diaper per hour of travel. My sister had 12 diapers for 2 kids travelling from Vancouver to Miami with connecting flight. The kids caught something during their stopover in Texas and she had to buy extra diapers at the airport store for $1/diaper.

So prepare for the unexpected.

Read through and search for posts on this board regarding cruising with toddlers. You will find tons of information on this subject.

Have fun!

03/28/14 Ruby Princess to Pacific Coastal
06/24/12 Star Princess to Alaska
12/19/09 Sapphire Princess to Mexican Riviera
12/29/07 Golden Princess to Mexican Riviera
07/01/07 Celebrity Infinity to Alaska
10/22/05 Sapphire Princess to Mexican Riviera
01/23/05 Star Princess to Eastern Caribbean
08/28/04 Diamond Princess to Alaska
09/27/03 Star Princess to Mexican Riviera

Old January 31st, 2006, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default diapers

we did just that on our last cruise (our son was 10mths old) stopped at walmart and got a case of diapers and a case of bottled water and then very securely taped luggage tags to them, they were waiting for us in our room with the rest of our luggage !