Lunch in Bar Harbor

SSAtlantic

We just discovered the West Street Cafe will be closed on our visit on 6/29/17 which was our planned lunch stop. Any other suggestions for a lunch similar to the chowder, lobster roll, and blueberrypie deal at West Street Cafe?

We cruised there last week and after asking a store owner there about her pick for a good lunch she named "Side Street Café". Had the chowder, lobster roll, and a great cheeseburger to break with tradition! All good. Got there at opening 11:00am and avoided the crowd.

I have to say that most restaurants in Bar Harbor have chowder, lobster roll, and blue berry pie on the menu but a deal for those 3, IDK,

I would suggest Stewman's Lobster Pound because all 3 items are on the menu, close to the tender dock, and the food is good.

Something I forgot to include in my earlier post is that Stewman's is on the waterfront on a pier that extends into the harbor and provides excellent view of the harbor especially if you're seated at the open end of the restaurant.

SBtS

We cruised there last week and after asking a store owner there about her pick for a good lunch she named "Side Street Café". Had the chowder, lobster roll, and a great cheeseburger to break with tradition! All good. Got there at opening 11:00am and avoided the crowd.

Do you use Canadian Money or American Money ? Do they do the conversion or do we ? would it be best to get Canadian Money before leaving on the Cruise . Can ya help me out on this ? For in the Canadian Ports that is .

Edited by Razorback Cruiser

I would second Stewmans. One of the best chowders I have had when we were there in 2011. I would recommend having some Canadian money but you can also use credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you use Canadian Money or American Money ? Do they do the conversion or do we ? would it be best to get Canadian Money before leaving on the Cruise . Can ya help me out on this ? For in the Canadian Ports that is .

You really want Canadian money for the Canadian ports. We have it easy as we fly to Quebec for cruise to New York, so will hit an ATM at the airport - to cover two nights in Quebec then three Canadian port calls. I figure I'll have some left over - which I'll use for extra cash tip as the ship will be going back to Quebec after we debark.

I use a credit card with no international transaction fee. Your bank will do the conversion.

For cash, I go to a local bank ATM and I use a debit card that reimburses ATM fees. Your bank will do the conversion.

Has anyone ever been to Beal's Lobster Pound? It's in Southwest Harbor, which is a bit of a drive from Bar Harbor. We're doing a private tour, and that's where our guide has suggested we have lunch.

Has anyone ever been to Beal's Lobster Pound? It's in Southwest Harbor, which is a bit of a drive from Bar Harbor. We're doing a private tour, and that's where our guide has suggested we have lunch.

If part of your tour includes passing through Southwest Harbor at lunch time, then stopping there is fine. Beal's gets 4.5 stars out of 5 in the TA rating. I wouldn't go there unless it is part of your tour travels. The food is good but it is not convenient to Bar Harbor.

SBtS

If part of your tour includes passing through Southwest Harbor at lunch time, then stopping there is fine. Beal's gets 4.5 stars out of 5 in the TA rating. I wouldn't go there unless it is part of your tour travels. The food is good but it is not convenient to Bar Harbor.

SBtS

The itinerary they have suggested for the 5 hour tour is:

Historic district of Bar Harbor

Acadia National Park

Seal Harbor

Northeast Harbor

Lunch at Beals

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse

The 4 hour tour ends after Northeast Harbor, in which case we'd go back to Bar Harbor for lunch on our own.

We're really wavering between the two options. Was thinking since it will be crowded in Bar Harbor, we might be better off eating lunch out-of-town? Also hoping the scenery would make the extra driving worthwhile? Your thoughts/advice is appreciated!!

This will be our first time in the area. My husband is very interested in a lobster lunch--no fresh lobster where we live!

Edited by jdaa

The itinerary they have suggested for the 5 hour tour is:

Historic district of Bar Harbor

Acadia National Park

Seal Harbor

Northeast Harbor

Lunch at Beals

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse

The 4 hour tour ends after Northeast Harbor, in which case we'd go back to Bar Harbor for lunch on our own.

We're really wavering between the two options. Was thinking since it will be crowded in Bar Harbor, we might be better off eating lunch out-of-town? Also hoping the scenery would make the extra driving worthwhile? Your thoughts/advice is appreciated!!

This will be our first time in the area. My husband is very interested in a lobster lunch--no fresh lobster where we live!

Well I understand why Beal's was selected for lunch because to get to Bass Light from NEH you would have to drive through SWH where Beal's is located.

Beal's is an active lobster pier which should give your husband the freshest lobster available, and there shouldn't be crowds from a cruise ship but there could be a small crowd from land tourists.

As for scenery, mostly average, and the lighthouse is not like any on OBX.

SBtS

Bar Harbor is in the US! Use American money there.

I really like Beal's: https://www.bealslobster.com/ and we have been there many times over the years (my favorite is the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound) (but that is off island) ... The best way (the Maine way) to have a lobster is outdoors, sitting at a picnic table with lots of melted butter and a whole roll of paper towels to help clean up one's face and hands :D

That said, I think that there really isn't anywhere that doesn't have good local lobster .... enjoy your day! Jan