Celebration of Light in Vancouver

I was wondering if those living in Vancouver might be able to give me some tips about this day. We will be in Vancouver on the 29th July and I have bought tickets to ensure seating to see the Fireworks show. I'm glad I bought them as soon as selling opened as they have gone up in price. :)

We are staying in Hotel Blu on Robson Street. We aren't into doing all the family friendly music shows but are wondering when we should aim to be at or near English Bay? Access to our area is from 6.30pm. Also some suggestions on the best way to get to and from the area please? We are going 60 but exercise every day and walk a lot so I have though about just walking there or maybe taking some transport then walking the rest. I am not sure about taxi availability on that day so thought best to have a Plan B.

Any suggestions for things to do around English Bay if we go early?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Julie

If you don't want to 'enjoy' the bands and stuff, then show up much closer to firework time. I don't believe they overbook, so your seat stays yours even if you show up five minutes before the show. And walk, 100% the easiest way to ensure access (even cabs will be blocked from accessing streets nearby unless bringing a disabled person in, and they will be very, very busy with the not-far-off-half-a-million attendees!) Transit will also be packed with fake locals - the bridge & tunnel crowd - coming in from the surrounding cities. There's no SkyTrain close to English Bay, so transfers to buses like the C23 up Davie will be outrageously busy. Even bikes are a hassle - there's not even close to enough bike parking around and trying to navigate crowds while pushing your bike along sucks.

Caveat - if you booked the Keg or other 'included food and drink' seats then go early enough to use your free drink vouchers!

As to route - take the Seawall, then you have nice views. It will be busy - very busy - near English Bay, but unfortunately the only way to avoid crowds is to go really early. I see people setting up at dawn with their folding chairs to stake out a good free spot. When you get close to the site - say Burrard Bridge as a really easy landmark (and a popular spot to watch for free) if the crowds are really bad, jink inland a couple of streets to say Harwood and walk up that instead. Since buildings will block the views, there shouldn't be anyone hanging around for the show so walking will be easier.

If you're lucky, Dennis (UrbanTraveler) will chime in - I believe he's volunteered at the event so may have some very specific knowledge of optimal walking route for getting to your seating. Personally we always watch from Burrard so anything beyond that point is guesswork on my part!

Edit - forgot about your 'things to do Q'! On firework evening - nothing. All restos will be packed to the gills, even those without views. There really aren't any sites except the seawall/beaches/inukshuk and those will be thronged with folks wanting a good view all day. I'd personally say just have dinner (if you don't have a food-included seat) at 7pmish somewhere like Gastown or even Coal Harbour (the other side of downtown core) then walk up for after 9pm.

Martincath thank you so much for all your useful information. I will use google maps and plot out your directions.

We do have food and drink seating so we will go early to use that. We wanted reasonably comfortable seats so we took the Inukshuk option. This is a special treat for us and the likelihood of getting to do this again, since we live in Australia is very remote, so we decided to spend the money. We are looking forward to it. Even with the knowledge we have to be up early the next morning to catch the train to Seattle.

Julie

Additional thoughts...

Thank you for the additional information xlxo.

It sounds like walking along the seawall when it is light and taking the direct road afterwards will be the best option. The kilometres/miles won't worry us and because we have to get up early in the morning we will be taking it very lightly with any alcohol.

I much appreciate the help.

Julie

Seawall is lit by streetlamps except closer to the park - from where you'll be you shouldn't have any problems following it. And considering that the vast majority of attendees are all streaming back to their homes, and few of us actually live on/right next to the seawall, it's probably quieter than walking along the streets - much of the crowd will be heading to Skytrain so taking the Seawall is out of their way.

If you do want to save the distance though, stick to Pacific (Beach Ave forks at Broughton) - because it curves it's just as short as the most direct route zigzagging across downtown, and unless you know where Nelson Park is to cut the angles Pacific is actually shorter than any other cross-downtown zigzag route. It's also unlikely to be too packed - by the time you hit Burrard the crowds from the bridge will already have dispersed as they have less far to walk than you.

I was wondering if those living in Vancouver might be able to give me some tips about this day. We will be in Vancouver on the 29th July and I have bought tickets to ensure seating to see the Fireworks show. I'm glad I bought them as soon as selling opened as they have gone up in price. :)

We are staying in Hotel Blu on Robson Street. We aren't into doing all the family friendly music shows but are wondering when we should aim to be at or near English Bay? Access to our area is from 6.30pm. Also some suggestions on the best way to get to and from the area please? We are going 60 but exercise every day and walk a lot so I have though about just walking there or maybe taking some transport then walking the rest. I am not sure about taxi availability on that day so thought best to have a Plan B.

Any suggestions for things to do around English Bay if we go early?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Julie

Hi Julie

If it's any help or interest I made this from our experience at the Celebration of Light 3 years ago. We just walked from our hotel (which was just over a mile away) to English Bay for 9.30 pm (the fireworks began at 10) and threw a blanket on the ground. Assuming your seating is reserved I can't see why you have to get there much before showtime. All the best, it's a great display, Tony

CgeIzEewMhM

You were lucky..... some people start marking their territory on the beaches at 9am in the morning. Then the tides rise and their private spot is flooded.

For those that don't know.... bring a radio or download the show app. The fireworks are all set to music!

Thank you for the video Cornishpastyman1. We will be seeing Japan's entry on the 29th July. We will go earlier with the reserved tickets because food and some vouchers for drinks are included in the price. Also to soak up the atmosphere. I like to take photos as well, so I will take the opportunity to walk around a bit and take some photos.

We are so excited to see this event so thank you for everyone's help. It will be a fitting end to our trip to the northern end of the planet.

Julie

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank all those who helped with my enquiry.

The fireworks were wonderful and worth making the effort. We walked there and back. Coming back was fine. Even though it was crowded having many roads blocked off made it easier.

Some photos

01ab50f329ac46ed82b0b8e6b9abc610.jpg0eb8ce39624d536c8b80eabdf278669b.jpg9131aa7741990fd8a31c526230cb2895.jpga4051aa73faad5ed0b8ecdff718ced86.jpg

One photo is of some young men building their own Inushuk.

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums