Dressing for your age!

baja mama

I'm in my early 60's and wear dresses and shirts with no sleeves. I have several friends that think when your arms start to wrinkle you need to wear sleeves. My arms are in good shape but they are really starting to wrinkle. Would love to hear from other women my age about what they think?

Thanks so much

I'm in my early 60's and wear dresses and shirts with no sleeves. I have several friends that think when your arms start to wrinkle you need to wear sleeves. My arms are in good shape but they are really starting to wrinkle. Would love to hear from other women my age about what they think?

Thanks so much

I'm 39, and I am a firm believer in wearing what makes YOU comfortable.

I am comfortable in crazy leggings with wild designs, but that might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am 70. I also wear sleeveless. In the summer or any hot weather, sleeveless is so much cooler. And my arms are thinner, wrinkled and untoned. If you are comfortable go for it.

I will say that I love maxi's and a I bought a couple a few years ago. They are all sleeveless but don't look right with a bra; the straps show. So I have found I have to wear a shrug or other over piece to cover up bra strap or if I go braless, the sagging girls. (Oh the 60's when we all wanted to burn our bras.)

Moral of my post, wear what you feel comfortable wearing and don't worry what others might think or say.

I agree with the comments of wear what you feel comfortable with. However, I really don't find, old, wrinkled skin very attractive.

I am 68 and always wear a bolero type top, shrug or short sleeved cardigan/ jacket or even a shawl over summer dresses.

I'm in my 60's and I wear what I like. I don't have "flabby arms" so if I want to wear sleeveless....I do. Wear what you would at home. Being on the ship is no different! There is NO WAY I'll "cover up" if it makes me uncomfortably hot or sweaty. If someone doesn't like it, then don't look!

By the way...my bra straps never show, because that's really tacky....

I'm more comfortable in short sleeves, but sometimes will wear sleeveless. No way can I go braless, so I look for clothes which cover bra straps.

No way are my DD's going braless. If someone is offended by my bra straps they can look someplace else.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not the same exactly but a few years ago I found the cutest little skirt on sale. Hot pink ( bright bright color) it's what we use to call an A line but now they call it "skater" style. It's lace and really pretty. Any way I was in my late 40's and my daughter said to me " It's pretty mom but don't you think it's a bit Young for you?" I nearly lost my mind. Who ever said we need to wear dark polyester with long sleeves and and high neck lines at any given point in our lives? I guess next I'll have to cut my hair short and get rid of my 5 inch heels in lieu of flat orthopedic shoes ( also in dark colors:eek:). I'm 50 now but quite honestly other than my metabolism coming to a screeching halt, and a few aches and pains here and there I forget my age. I wear a bikini because that's what I like , I can't stand wet material on my stomach, and I am sure my husband will tell me when and if the time comes that it doesn't look good any more. my eyelids are starting to loosen, and my arms seems to have grown some fat at the arm pit ( where DID that come from?) Bottom line is I am still happy with myself and really don't care if some one else is put off by the shape of my body. It is usually the young people with the tone bodies that are put off by "chicken skin" and I think that has mostly to do with the fact that they think they'll never be "That Person":rolleyes:

Tank tops have never looked right on me (unless I'm wearing them under my suits). I do like sleeveless Ts and shirts that have my whole shoulder covered - not because of chicken skin, but it balances out my ample bust to the rest of my torso. Athleta has always had some shirts made like this.

I refuse to give in to a rigid "dress your age" code. I'm only 62. If I'm not in one of my suits for work, I'm in one of many pairs of Athleta/Fabletics leggings (either full leg or knee length) or jeans or my summer rolled-up shorts with T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters. The footwear of choice depends on the weather - trail runners when there is no snow on the ground and various boots when there is snow (my Sorels, my Uggs). I may "dress up" by putting on black leggings with my non-snow boots (Steve Madden) instead of my trail runners. The day I must "dress my age" and buy black polyester is the day I hope someone puts me in a nursing home because I must have lost my mind ;)

Not the same exactly but a few years ago I found the cutest little skirt on sale. Hot pink ( bright bright color) it's what we use to call an A line but now they call it "skater" style. It's lace and really pretty. Any way I was in my late 40's and my daughter said to me " It's pretty mom but don't you think it's a bit Young for you?" I nearly lost my mind. Who ever said we need to wear dark polyester with long sleeves and and high neck lines at any given point in our lives? I guess next I'll have to cut my hair short and get rid of my 5 inch heels in lieu of flat orthopedic shoes ( also in dark colors:eek:). I'm 50 now but quite honestly other than my metabolism coming to a screeching halt, and a few aches and pains here and there I forget my age. I wear a bikini because that's what I like , I can't stand wet material on my stomach, and I am sure my husband will tell me when and if the time comes that it doesn't look good any more. my eyelids are starting to loosen, and my arms seems to have grown some fat at the arm pit ( where DID that come from?) Bottom line is I am still happy with myself and really don't care if some one else is put off by the shape of my body. It is usually the young people with the tone bodies that are put off by "chicken skin" and I think that has mostly to do with the fact that they think they'll never be "That Person":rolleyes:

I love this!!!!!!!! My sentiments exactly!! I am 56 with a 30 year-old daughter and she always tell me to wear what I feel comfortable in. I am not going to wear dark colors and like you say "orthopedic shoes" or refuse to wear sleeveless because someone thinks its not age-appropriate.:rolleyes:

I'm with the "wear what the heck you like and feel comfortable in" crowd!:D

I personally, at 70 years old, do not like to expose my arms from the shoulder down to the elbows...but that's just me. It surely doesn't bother me that others my age do. My one rule in fashion is to dress appropriately at all times. Especially when I travel...it's "when in Rome (or wherever) do what the Roman's do." I'm not into offending different cultures or religions by dressing inappropriately for whatever specific place I'm visiting. Other than that...I dress how I want.

My favorite fashion compliment was given to me by my son (then 14)..."I love that you and dad dress cooler than most of the younger moms and dads!" The DH and I are definitely way older parents...I was 48 when the DS was born. Compliments on fashion, for me anyway, don't get much better than that! LOL! So do your thing! Whoever your critics are will get over it!

Edited by mousey

I've gotta go somewhat against the everything-anyone-does-is-wonderful grain here. When people ask a question, I assume they're actually looking for advice, not just asking for validation.

Yeah, age makes a difference in appropriate clothing. If you're much past 40, like me, you probably need more support than you did when you were younger (mostly a better bra). Don't take it personally; it's not an insult or a judgement on any of us as people. It's just nature.

Having said that, keep in mind that wearing "age appropriate clothing" doesn't mean double knit polyester or a pioneer woman's bonnet or supportive stockings paired with orthopedic sneakers. It also doesn't mean uncomfortable. For example, here are a couple pictures of sleeveless tops ... note that the first two show a good bit more skin, whereas the other two would work just fine with a more supportive bra. Similarly, if you're going to wear a bikini, you can find super-skimpy string examples at Victoria's Secret, or you can get one with a bit more fabric and underwire support from Lands End. You can easily wear a bikini that's appropriate for someone "of mature age" -- I do -- but it probably isn't the very same bikini that would've worked for you at 20.

In closing, if you're trying to decide whether something is "age appropriate", use your brain and your mirror. And be honest with yourself so you don't end up being "that person".

aa.jpg.f4d2531496197b3184072645e75aba92.jpg

ab.jpg.d0d40e716604c892b4d0dfece9f27663.jpg

My husband calls some clothes "grandma" style. As for me I can still wear a bikini ( and bras ) from Victoria secret. I'm 50 but I am also 128 pounds and 5 foot tall and small bone frame. Usually I go down to 115 to 118 pounds in summer which is what looks good on me. I work with almost all woman and i see 50 that looks 50 and 50 that looks 30 And 50 that looks 60. So yes you have to know your body. It's not just about age it's also about how your particular body deals with time. I thank God for giving me parents who are now 79 and look barely 60!!

i just turned 65- I weigh about 132 and am 5'3" ( now). I run 4-5 X per week, 4-5 miles, take spinning classes and work out with weights 2-3 x per week. Am I totally toned? NO, but I wear size 4 or 6, depending on the cut. I am going to wear shorts, tank tops, sleeveless, strapless, etc , but also cover up on appropriate occasions...I have a few friends who are 65 going on 90 as well, in their mu muus and polyester stretch outfits...there's a happy medium somewhere...It's all about who you are individually!!

Thanks for all the posts. My arms are toned but very wrinkled and I have started to think I should cover them to the elbows. Up until now I have worn tank tops and halter dresses and my daughters like to wear my clothes so I do not feel I dress as a old women.

Getting older is not always fun but at least I will start to get my social security in April!!!!

Lynn

I've gotta go somewhat against the everything-anyone-does-is-wonderful grain here. When people ask a question, I assume they're actually looking for advice, not just asking for validation.

Yeah, age makes a difference in appropriate clothing. If you're much past 40, like me, you probably need more support than you did when you were younger (mostly a better bra). Don't take it personally; it's not an insult or a judgement on any of us as people. It's just nature.

Having said that, keep in mind that wearing "age appropriate clothing" doesn't mean double knit polyester or a pioneer woman's bonnet or supportive stockings paired with orthopedic sneakers. It also doesn't mean uncomfortable. For example, here are a couple pictures of sleeveless tops ... note that the first two show a good bit more skin, whereas the other two would work just fine with a more supportive bra. Similarly, if you're going to wear a bikini, you can find super-skimpy string examples at Victoria's Secret, or you can get one with a bit more fabric and underwire support from Lands End. You can easily wear a bikini that's appropriate for someone "of mature age" -- I do -- but it probably isn't the very same bikini that would've worked for you at 20.

In closing, if you're trying to decide whether something is "age appropriate", use your brain and your mirror. And be honest with yourself so you don't end up being "that person".

I agree with you, Mrs. Pete.

When I wear sleeveless tops, it's the second set of pictures.

Thanks for all the posts. My arms are toned but very wrinkled and I have started to think I should cover them to the elbows. Up until now I have worn tank tops and halter dresses and my daughters like to wear my clothes so I do not feel I dress as a old women.

Getting older is not always fun but at least I will start to get my social security in April!!!!

Lynn

I know what you're going through. I remember when I made the decision to stop wearing sleeveless and strapless clothing. It's not easy getting older all the time. I've made peace with it.

I'm from FL but live in CA now. When I visit family in FL I see many many women of a certain age wearing sleeveless tops and they seem very comfortable and perfectly happy dressed that way. So the bottom line is, "how do you feel"? If you're questioning it then I think maybe it's time to give it up but if you really don't want to and feel comfortable wearing such clothing then I say, "go ahead!" It's all about you and how you feel about it...we can only give you our opinions and support.

For me...my "flap in the breeze", un-toned arms are staying covered up. Funny thing is...I have no problem when I'm in a swimsuit or at the gym showing my arms because it's what I have to do. But...given a choice...I cover them up.

Thanks so much

I am with the majority of replies that say, "wear what you want!"

1. Based on the combinations of people and wardrobes I have seen on cruise ships, there is no way your arms/clothing are going to make the Top 500 of gawk-worthy outfits.

2. What other people think of you is none of your business.

3. When you are comfortable and feel good in your clothing, you look good no matter what. Attitude, not the clothes, makes the girl.

• 3 weeks later...

I once told my mum to dress her age. Only because she was wearing clothes that woman 20 years older than her were wearing. And even though there was nothing wrong with the clothes themselves it made her look older. She had started buying clothes from one store in particular that does cater more for 40-80 year old woman. However this location seemed to have stock that was more generated to the 70-80. She was in her late 50s . We have spoken to some staff at different locations who say they that not all stores will stock everything and some stores will cater to the age group that's most common in that area. Which i guess makes sense. My sisters and I started taking her to a few different stores that sell modern clothes for most ages wether 20 or 70. showed her clothes that suited her better. She still shops at the store with the older clothes but makes better choices. I have even bought a few skirts from there at im in my mid 30's.

I think any age can wear sleeveless strapless bikinis whatever. Do you feel comfortable. Do you look beautiful when you look in the mirror. yep. Then go for it.

Age has nothing to do with it. If you can pull it off and feel confident doing it, good for you. As far as loose and wrinkled skin, we all age. Some better than others, but it's bound to happen. It's not off putting. It's life. Should we hide our wrinkled faces, too?? Let's not be ridiculous.

I am with the majority of replies that say, "wear what you want!"

1. Based on the combinations of people and wardrobes I have seen on cruise ships, there is no way your arms/clothing are going to make the Top 500 of gawk-worthy outfits.

2. What other people think of you is none of your business.

3. When you are comfortable and feel good in your clothing, you look good no matter what. Attitude, not the clothes, makes the girl.

I am 70 and we cruise quite a bit: Oceania, Regent, Viking Ocean, etc. For two years, I had to take prednisone which caused weight gain. When I lost the weight, I was left with flabby skin under my upper arms. I no longer wear sleeveless or short sleeves, but do wear "sheer" shirts and tunics with tanks under that keep me cool and hide the flab. I want to like what I see when I look in the mirror, and I want my husband to like it, too. As for the mini skirts, five inch heels, and other fashion statements meant for millenials, you don't have to be drab and dowdy when older, but classy rather than trashy should be the goal.

Sleeveless can be necessary at times no matter the age! It gets hot! As long as you are still comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts then wear them and rock them girl! There's no age limit really to anything. It's all about preferences but the only preference that matters is yours!