Torn or distressed Jeans

Barb Nahoumi

I like distressed jeans, but not holey jeans. Character! Holes make me feel slubby.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Distressed jeans have tears, rips, and holes. Hence the term distressed. Some are more extreme than others. Different strokes...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruzncutie

Distressed jeans have tears, rips, and holes. Hence the term distressed. Some are more extreme than others. Different strokes...

actually, distressed jeans are distressed, as in made or processed to appear faded or wrinkled, as if from long, steady use

actually, distressed jeans are distressed, as in made or processed to appear faded or wrinkled, as if from long, steady use

You're referring to the types of denim washing. For example, stone washed, acid washed, etc. Denim washing changes the color or finishing of the denim. Distressed denim is ripped or torn. I've been wearing distressed jeans for 30 years lol. A simple google search on the terminology will clear that up [emoji5].

You're referring to the types of denim washing. For example, stone washed, acid washed, etc. Denim washing changes the color or finishing of the denim. Distressed denim is ripped or torn. I've been wearing distressed jeans for 30 years lol. A simple google search on the terminology will clear that up [emoji5].

Nope, I'm really not. I have been wearing jeans for over thirty years. Thanks, though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see them all the time. I won't buy them or wear them. Just me I think they look sloppy. Yes I know I read the Thread on designer ripped jeans but all it did was make me giggle til I peed:o. So much money spent to wear something that looks like you can't afford new clothes. Like I said just my opinion. I always laugh when someone says I look better in my torn jeans than most people do in their ...( insert what ever here). I grew up and saw the style come and go and come back again. Never thought it was attractive. BUT like I said just my OPINION.

I received my new Gorsuch catalog on Saturday. It is a uber-high-end purveyor of ski and resort wear. It caters to the 1% types who winter in Vail and Aspen and summer in the Hamptons and the Carribbean. This edition was their Spring resort "getaway" catalog. Lots of very cool things to wear on vacation and cruises. Two items that stood out were the pair of stonewashed, distressed and embroidered jeans for $698 and a pair of "Daisy Duke" distressed jean shorts (short enough that the whites of the pockets show out the bottom) for a measly $698, too.

Oh, and according to it, cammo-print pants are back in for the Spring and Summer. Guess I can still wear my Prana cammo pants that I've had for 10 years!!!

I have no idea how I got on their mailing list, but it sure is fun to "window shop". They just put in a brick-and-mortar store in town - I'm curious to go in, but I'm afraid I'd be sucked into buying something that would take a month's salary to pay off :eek:

Gives the jeans texture and character. I love the look ❤️

I'm 70 years old and I wear distressed jeans w/rips and holes all the time! I love them! I started wearing them back in the 80s when my favorite jeans from the 60s started wearing out at the knees and hems. I couldn't part with them...too many great memories! I'm just very cautious not to wear them to places where I personally feel they wouldn't be appropriate or at places where a dress code prohibits them. For instance, I would never wear them to church, in the main dining room on a cruise, while traveling abroad, etc. I think they're fun. JMHO!;) I'm also into camo prints and always have been...as a matter-of-fact...I just bought a maxie-length, camo print duster. Love it! Got the duster at Forever XXI and most of my jeans I get at Target...always always on sale. I never spend a lot of money on trendy stuff. To each his own...some hate the style, some love it, and some don't really care...I say...wear what you love! I can afford to buy expensive jeans...I just choose not to. In a gazillion years...even if I were a billionaire (which I'm not...LOL!) I would never spend over $60 on a pair of jeans and that would be stretching it!:)

Edited by mousey

I do like jeans with different washes, skinny or slim fit, stripes and prints. Whole without holes. Bib-tops are also making a comeback.

I also have a lined jean jacket for winter.

Yep! I have a couple of bibbed overalls. One pair is distressed w/holes and rips and I love them. I also have a collection (bought over the last 30 years) of jean jackets. I have about 25-30 of them in all colors, prints, stripes, & styles. I just love denim!

My DS (21) has turned me on to what the newest style in jeans are (and no...I'm not going to buy any)...it's when the side seam of the jeans twists towards the front and they're really skinny. He loves them. He's also into jeans (and I also have some of them) that have ribbing at the ankle...I think they're called "joggers."

I think jeans of any kind are fun for people of all ages. It's just a matter of knowing when to wear them and where.

Edited by mousey

I'm 70 years old and I wear distressed jeans w/rips and holes all the time! I love them! I started wearing them back in the 80s when my favorite jeans from the 60s started wearing out at the knees and hems. I couldn't part with them...too many great memories! I'm just very cautious not to wear them to places where I personally feel they wouldn't be appropriate or at places where a dress code prohibits them. For instance, I would never wear them to church, in the main dining room on a cruise, while traveling abroad, etc. I think they're fun. JMHO!;) I'm also into camo prints and always have been...as a matter-of-fact...I just bought a maxie-length, camo print duster. Love it! Got the duster at Forever XXI and most of my jeans I get at Target...always always on sale. I never spend a lot of money on trendy stuff. To each his own...some hate the style, some love it, and some don't really care...I say...wear what you love! I can afford to buy expensive jeans...I just choose not to. In a gazillion years...even if I were a billionaire (which I'm not...LOL!) I would never spend over $60 on a pair of jeans and that would be stretching it!:)

I love this attitude!!! I'm 43 and someone actually told me that I shouldn't shop at Forever 21 [emoji15]. I'm on the curvy side and their jeans aren't flattering for me. I like their sweaters and tanks. I'm slimming down, but until I get there I'll be paying $99 for jeans at Chico's because they fit [emoji5].

I love this attitude!!! I'm 43 and someone actually told me that I shouldn't shop at Forever 21 [emoji15]. I'm on the curvy side and their jeans aren't flattering for me. I like their sweaters and tanks. I'm slimming down, but until I get there I'll be paying $99 for jeans at Chico's because they fit [emoji5].

I shop there all the time. Like you, at this point, I can't wear most of their pants and even most of their tops. But I usually always find something. I especially like their inexpensive accessories, handbags and shoes. You just have to take the time and shuffle through a lot of stuff...but I almost always find something. My latest purchase there was the camo-print, maxi-length, duster that I bought in the men's department. LOL! The men's dept. of Forever XXI has great jackets! The larger sizes fit me well.:D

If you're under 30, you might like them. If you're an adult...there is NO attraction to torn clothing.

I respectfully disagree...I'm 70 years old and I'm very much attracted to distressed clothing and have been for years. My DS just sent out of picture he took of me in the camo-print duster I recently bought at Forever XXI on his Snapchat because he really liked me in it and he love's to post pictures of his mom looking "cool" (his word not mine). LOL! Age is nothing but a number. JMHO :D

I've been getting a big chuckle this week. Sundance in town. HUGE snowstorm going on for days and days (I am SO SICK of waking up to 6" of snow every morning from my driveway and walk - yes I'm 62 but I still shovel and blow my own). Yet, the big majority of women wearing jeans are wearing their ripped ones. They have to be freezing, but keeping up with the fashion. Almost as good as watching women trying to walk down Main St. in the snow in their peep-toe stilettos in the 90s... Actually, last night, a guest asked us to drive her across the street to her restaurant because she had on 5" pumps and didn't want to walk in the snow and slush - hey lady, there are these great things called BOOTS...

Even I have enough sense to wear my fully-intact jeans out this week and my vast collection of Sorel boots are getting a workout ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Here's a tip for you gals that like the distressed look and live in cold weather. When it gets cold here (to me 60 and under is cold:eek:) I wear lace tights under them.:D I don't wear my distressed jeans when we go skiing/snowboarding though...I'd freeze to death!

Here's a tip for you gals that like the distressed look and live in cold weather. When it gets cold here (to me 60 and under is cold:eek:) I wear lace tights under them.:D I don't wear my distressed jeans when we go skiing/snowboarding though...I'd freeze to death!

Wuss. I don't put on my gloves until it is 32... :D

Tell me you don't wear "regular" jeans when you ski/ride????

Are you a gaper?? ;)

Some of those girls this week could have used the lace tights... Maybe they could start a trend by having actual thermals showing from the rips... Canada Goose is still the unofficial "must have" jacket for Sundance; if I had a spare $500-900 in disposable income, I could be tempted...

Naa, I don't wear jeans to ski. I wear ski pants. But I like the idea of wearing thermal underwear under distressed jeans! I bet some cute flower-printed ones would look cute...but I guess that's just the old Hippie in me talking...LOL!:D

I am a BIG wuss! It's 53 here in my part of California and I'm freezing! I haven't been outside all day. The DH is from upstate Rochester and he says I would never survive there for most of the year. LOL

Edited by mousey

Naa, I don't wear jeans to ski. I wear ski pants. But I like the idea of wearing thermal underwear under distressed jeans! I bet some cute flower-printed ones would look cute...but I guess that's just the old Hippie in me talking...LOL!:D

I am a BIG wuss! It's 53 here in my part of California and I'm freezing! I haven't been outside all day. The DH is from upstate Rochester and he says I would never survive there for most of the year. LOL

Hey, I've seen lots of embroidered jeans coming in the catalogs. I still have a pair from the last time they came back in the early 2000s - may have to put them back in rotation!! In my cedar chest of past treasures, I do still have my embroidered denim shirt from the 70s :D

Back in the 70s, I wore jeans skiing ONCE. I never felt so cold and clammy in my life!!!