9 days in an inside cabin

liberty64

We just got back from 38 days on the Radiance of the Seas in an inside cabin. No problem. The cabins are so well designed that we didn't feel claustrophobic at all. If you're like us the only time you're there is to sleep, change clothes, etc. Here are a couple of shots of our cabin.

DSC00389-1.jpg

DSC00390-1.jpg

Am considering a 9 day cruise, but would have to be in an inside cabin (other options too expensive). Can anyone tell me of their experiences and whether they felt "claustrophobic".

Thanks

This really depends on how you use it. Many see an inside as a great value. They only use it to sleep, shower, change clothes, and prefer to spend their money on other things. For me it would be too claustrophobic and I would miss the view of the sea.

The fact that you are asking this suggests that you would fall into the later category. If your cabin is unpleasant (for you) it will cast a dark cloud over the entire voyage.

In some ways I actually prefer an inside cabin. I definitely sleep better in them especially at nap time:). However, if myself or family member was injured or quarantined I would absolutely go stir crazy stuck in an inside cabin.

I've been in both inside cabins and balcony cabins. Although I prefer balconies, I have no problems spending 9 days in an inside. It is much better than spending the same 9 days at home.:D

When I cruise with a cabinmate, I always have a balcony cabin.

When I cruise solo, I book an inside cabin.

Would I prefer a balcony cabin for every cruise? SURE!!!

But I'd rather be able to afford to cruise more often.

I have not felt claustrophobic in the inside cabins. Rather, I find them cozy and inviting.

I have found that an inside cabin forces me to get out where there are people to chat with, and I have met some great people that way.

Our last cruise in an inside cabin was only 4 nights and it was a cool weather cruise. Although we had cruised in inside cabins in past years, we made our way up to balconies after a few years. There is no way I'd take a cruise even for just one night in an inside cabin again...we felt like we were staying in a cave. After that 4 nighter we swore if we could not have a balcony it just wasn't worth going.

So it just depends on you. Some people are fine with them and some not. We're the type that spends a great deal of time on our balcony, not the type that is just there to sleep, shower and change clothing. You know yourself best and the value of a balcony is precious to some, a waste for others.

Don't decide based on what other people think, decide on what you truly feel is best for you.

I don't want the balcony as much as I want a window - the presence and variation of natural light is really important to me. To some, it doesn't matter. In my opinion, the presence of public spaces on the ship is no compensation, and I hate it when I enter my room and feel I need to rush to leave again because it's such an uninviting place (I feel the same in my home - I don't want a tiny, dark bedroom either). I'd rather save up an extra year and afford a room with some natural light.

It all depends on the size of the inside cabin, at least for me. I never had a problem with claustrophobia in an inside cabin until I got stuck in one for 10 days that was under 150 sq. ft. - yikes!

Roz

I have no problem with an inside. If it was the choice between going or not going I surely would go! They do make the inside seem larger and brighter with mirrors! Although I have booked a few obstructed (lifeboats out the window at least my experience) for natural light. My husband. The one who doesn't o sail inside because of lack of light keeps the drapes closed anyway! So I really don't understand. All up to you and it sounds like you may not go if not inside. If that were my choices I would take the inside! All the same except for the room so why not.

Our family of 4 (with 2 teenagers) almost always travels in a single inside cabin. We spent 14 nights on a cruise with the 4 of us in an inside cabin and loved it. We all look at it as a sort of adventure.

We just returned from a 10 day cruise on Emerald Princess in an inside cabin. Previously we have cruised in balcony cabins, but my husband wanted to try an inside because of the cost difference. I was sure I wouldn't like it as I can be a bit claustrophobic at times, but agreed to try it with the stipulation that if I hated it we would go back to balconys in the future. Well, it was no problem whatsoever. We thought it was fine and I never once felt claustrophobic. There was good lighting, mirrors strategically placed to make it appear larger, decent storage etc. We will definitley be booking insides in the future if the price is right. :)

One of my concerns about an inside cabin is if I get sick and HAD to stay in my cabin. I would hate not to be able to at least look out aand see whats going on. If it is a long cruise and you are prone to have health problems then that is a consideration.

I love inside cabins! They are so cozy and affordable. I only stayed in a balcony cabin once (my first cruise) and hardly used it. After that I've always taken my week long cruises in an inside cabin and have never had any problems. I've never felt claustrophobic, but I don't have problems with claustrophobia in general. I like how the cabin gets so dark without windows, since it's great for sleeping or taking a nap during the day.

We spent 18 days in a very small inside (less than 100 sq ft)

It was fine for us but

It allowed us to do an extended cruise that would have been too much otherwise in another CAT

Try to go out of the cabin as much as possible

If you like to spend time in your cabin it may not work for you

Enjoy

It's not so much the size for me but the lack of natural light. To over come this, before you go to sleep at night turn your cabin's TV to the bow camera channel then mute the sound. At night you will just see pitch black. In the morning when the sun rises, you will "see" it on your TV. It's like having a window.

9 days in an inside cabin wins over staying home every time. :)

That's brill advice, thanks - inside cabin it is then I can cruise more and see many more wonderful destinations. I especially like the t.v. suggestion, never would have thought of this - can you do this on most cruise ships (particularly RCI). Thanks.:):):):)

One of my concerns about an inside cabin is if I get sick and HAD to stay in my cabin. I would hate not to be able to at least look out aand see whats going on. If it is a long cruise and you are prone to have health problems then that is a consideration.

Becoming ill is certainly something to consider COULD happen to anyone. :eek:

DH got Noro on a cruise! I'd have gone totally nuts if we had not had a balcony cabin! :rolleyes:

As you can see, there are lots of different opinions.

I've always done inside cabins because I am there to sleep, shower, and change.

I've done a back-to-back in an inside and had no problem.

This allows me to cruise more often and spend a little more on interesting excursions that allow me to see the world......

I'm almost afraid that if I had a balcony, I'd tend to sit out there instead of getting out and about - I've met the nicest peoplel that way.

But to each their own - one of the great things about cruising - we can each do it our own way.

On Celebrity, the insde cabins are the same square footage as a standard balcony cabin. I travel with friends and am a early riser. I slip out the cabin go up to pooldeck or above and have the whole place to myself for the most part. Grab a coffee and enjoy the full views of being in a new port.

I have only been on intensive port curise so off the ship during the day, and use the cabin to change clothes, get ready for dinner and sleep. i love finding a different places on the ship for relaxing and meeting people.

I'm a value kind of guy, did it for 7 days.

IMHO think of the plus, great for sleeping in, Get the same food, service, entertainment and such for less than your hallmates across the way :D

Am considering a 9 day cruise, but would have to be in an inside cabin (other options too expensive). Can anyone tell me of their experiences and whether they felt "claustrophobic".

Thanks

Spent nine days in an inside last June doing the Baltic. Since the cruise was very port intensive, we knew we would only be in there for sleeping and showering. Found a great spot right up the stairs one floor from our cabin when we wanted to be outside.

If you don't know whether or not it would bother you, it would be a good idea to try staying inside a large walk-in closet with the door closed at home or at a friend's house first to see if it makes you feel uneasy.

Some people do not even realize that they are claustrophobic until they are locked inside a windowless room for the first time. It can bother some people more than others, ranging from merely feeling slightly uncomfortable to full panic "I've got to get out of here" feelings.

There are many who do fine in an inside cabin, but we met a guy who booked one just to save money, not realizing in advance how much he would hate it. By the time he found out, he was unable to move to another cabin because the ship was full so he was miserable for the entire cruise.

TV is just like reality? Wow, not in my life!

Give me a break. I offered the OP a constructive suggestion designed to mitigate the downsides of an inside cabin.

What do you have to offer beside condescenion & sarcasm? If you don't have anything nice to say, why bother to post?

Archived