Splendour of the Seas vs MSC Musica

wardy86

Hi All,

Need some advice, as I'm struggling to pick.

We have decided to book a weeks Middle East cruise at the end of Feb and the options are RCCL Splendour of the Seas or MSC Musica.

In the past we've cruised Holland America, Celebrity and P&O, but have to say having just got off P&O's Ventura in December we wasn't too impressed with the service or quality of food so not sure we'll be venturing back to them.

I've been on RCCL Navigator of the seas around 7 years ago on a short 4 night cruise, for a work event, so didn't really experience the ship, or pay attention to quality of service or food.

We're not too concerned with the cabins, at the end of the day a cabin is a cabin onboard any ship, along as it has a bed and shower we can cope.

Our main focus is having a decent cruise with good food and service.

So my question to you all is for a 7 night cruise in the Middle East should i pick RCCL Splendour or MSC Musica?

Thanks

With the 2 cruises are the prices similar. In North America MSC has been very agressive in their pricing for Caribbean cruises.

Having not sailed either the Royal ship would probably have a more North American feel, the MSC more international/European which can be pretty cool n its own way.

If pricing is similar would also do Royal every time. If the MSC is significantly cheaper(my definition would be 1/2 price of Royal) would try MSC still no such thing as a bad cruise.

Thanks CanadaRob

Pricing, I guess it's sort of the same.

For the price of an inside cabin on Royal I'd get a balcony cabin on MSC

How can you possibly say that the pricing is sort of the same, when using your words "For the price of an inside cabin on Royal I'd get a balcony cabin on MSC" -- an inside is NOT the same as a balcony cabin.

Although both lines are not my favourites and too much about nickle and diming, but if I HAD to choose between those two, I'd vote for Splendour of the Seas - why?

At least, you got more service included than crusing with MSC, when booking a standard stateroom - MSC charges you for EVERYTHING, even worse than RCCL, just to name a few examples:

-MSC has different price categories, called "Bella", "Fantastica" and "Aurea" --> when booking the cheapest category "Bella", you do not even have the choise to chhose your preferred dining time!! And cabin service in the evening just upon charge...

-MSC charges you for accessing a specific sundeck, they market it as "exclusive sun deck"... :rolleyes: :D

-open dinner time (equivalent to RCCL's My Time Dining) only when booking an "Aurea" Mini-Suite

-iced water just for US/Canadian citizens, none for any other citizen - that's just discriminating!!

-no observation lounge, as Splendour has with Viking Crown

I could even extend the list, but that's a selection of the facts why I find MSC even worse than RCCL in ripping the passenger - and it's badly masked, in addition.

And if you know Holland America, P&O Cruises and Celebrity Cruises, choosing RCCL would be an acceptable downgrade compared to them, but NOT MSC!!!!

So if you just could choose between MSC and RCCL, than I'd prefer RCCL, at least they include standard services which should be offered naturally.

RCCL also charges for many little things, but mainly on the newer ships, and on Splendour otS, if you avoid the Windjammer for breakfast, you should have a nice vacation so far. I have been on Vision of the Seas, her slightly larger sister, and I found it a pleasant ship, nicely sized. :)

Edited by celebrity_fan

Although both lines are not my favourites and too much about nickle and diming, but if I HAD to choose between those two, I'd vote for Splendour of the Seas - why?

At least, you got more service included than crusing with MSC, when booking a standard stateroom - MSC charges you for EVERYTHING, even worse than RCCL, just to name a few examples:

-MSC has different price categories, called "Bella", "Fantastica" and "Aurea" --> when booking the cheapest category "Bella", you do not even have the choise to chhose your preferred dining time!! And cabin service in the evening just upon charge...

-MSC charges you for accessing a specific sundeck, they market it as "exclusive sun deck"... :rolleyes: :D

-open dinner time (equivalent to RCCL's My Time Dining) only when booking an "Aurea" Mini-Suite

-iced water just for US/Canadian citizens, none for any other citizen - that's just discriminating!!

-no observation lounge, as Splendour has with Viking Crown

I could even extend the list, but that's a selection of the facts why I find MSC even worse than RCCL in ripping the passenger - and it's badly masked, in addition.

And if you know Holland America, P&O Cruises and Celebrity Cruises, choosing RCCL would be an acceptable downgrade compared to them, but NOT MSC!!!!

So if you just could choose between MSC and RCCL, than I'd prefer RCCL, at least they include standard services which should be offered naturally.

RCCL also charges for many little things, but mainly on the newer ships, and on Splendour otS, if you avoid the Windjammer for breakfast, you should have a nice vacation so far. I have been on Vision of the Seas, her slightly larger sister, and I found it a pleasant ship, nicely sized. :)

I am not heading over to MSC so fast, so this is just interesting to read.

I am not heading over to MSC so fast, so this is just interesting to read.

I have been cruising 1x on MSC Muscia (2008), and 2x in RCCL (Vision and Liberty). For sure, as a teenie, I enjoyed my MSC cruise.

But I am informing and dealing myself about/with cruising since 11 years.

And I read those points about MSC I have mentioned above, and those points I do not want to suppoert, since I'd feel tipped myself by MSC.

I find it just brash besides MSC to charge you more or less, even for choosing your dining time or having room service late evening!

I have been cruising 1x on MSC Muscia (2008), and 2x in RCCL (Vision and Liberty). For sure, as a teenie, I enjoyed my MSC cruise.

But I am informing and dealing myself about/with cruising since 11 years.

And I read those points about MSC I have mentioned above, and those points I do not want to suppoert, since I'd feel tipped myself by MSC.

I find it just brash besides MSC to charge you more or less, even for choosing your dining time or having room service late evening!

Royal does have a charge for ordering from room service between certain hours, I think they are midnight to 5:30am.

Royal does have a charge for ordering from room service between certain hours, I think they are midnight to 5:30am.

Yeah, I did not mean the room service for food items. I meant, when you're at dinner, the stuart usually cleans up the stateroom again - not when cruising with MSC. He just brings you the daily program for the next day, and that's it - if you want more - $$$$$$.