Hump cabin question on the Freedom of the Seas

We are booked in 8630, most forward facing hump on port side for our Freedom TA this October. In the deck plans the balcony looks a bit larger. I am just wondering if that is true?

Hump balconies on Voyager/Freedom class ships are the same size as other side-facing balconies in the same stateroom category.

We've booked JS #9638 for a B2B on Freedom...we've been in this cabin before on Indy & Liberty and loved it so when the itinerary was released for the southern caribbean we grabbed it :D

Of course you know it from staying in the same room several times, but the only potential drawback to 9638 over its starboard counterpart (9338) is that 9638 is directly under the grand piano in the Royal Suite on Deck 10. If you have folks in the Royal Suite that like to jam on the piano, or set the "player" feature to play, you will hear it in 9638. Aside from that, the center hump cabins are great cabins. I have three booked on future sailings myself.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will be happy with 6636. We were in 6636, 6638, and 6640 on Indy and the adult kids in their late 20's as well as my DH and I loved it. We now try to book hump cabins when we can. We had D2 on Oasis on the first hump. Balcony was bigger than on Indy hump cabin. Now we have booked deck 7 hump cabins on Freedom for Dec. 2017. Can't wait! We love being able to see both left and right down the side of the ship. We also always book starboard versus port side. We like being close to the elevators and no issues with noise at all. Only thing we didn't like with 6640 was you needed to be aware that when your door was open everyone in the lounge area around the elevators can see into the room versus being across from another cabin or a wall. Have fun and enjoy the cabin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Would noise be an issue on deck 6? We were thinking of 6642 but just concerned it might be too noisy.

Thanks

Sue

Noise on deck 6 has not been something that has been commonly reported.

The hump really doesn't "obstruct" your view at all. True, you will not be able to see either the very front or very back of the ship (depending on which side of the hump you're on) but you will still have a full field of view of the ocean! You don't really need to see the bow of the ship, unless YOU are driving!!!!!!

The main reason for a "hump' cabin is the location/convenience!

You don't really need a balcony at all. but the center humps do offer you more view coming in an out of ports My last cruise on Adventure had a back of the hump cabin, the central location is good, but to say doesn't obstruct your view at all is wrong, even if it is just a small amount.

We were in 9340 which is Center Hump - unobstructed view all the way forward and aft and all the way down! :cool:

Loved that cabin on Freedom in 2007 enough that we booked it again in 2015. I was just slightly disappointed that when we showed up at the pier we were upgraded to as JS.

Loved that cabin on Freedom in 2007 enough that we booked it again in 2015. I was just slightly disappointed that when we showed up at the pier we were upgraded to as JS.

That is why I turn off automatic upgrades unless I wasn't able to book the cabin I really wanted.

OK Cruise Critics, I need some advice. I am about to pull the trigger on an 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. There is a $260 per person price difference for an 8th deck hump balcony (8332, 8338, 8634) than a forward non-hump balcony (8242) or 12th deck balcony. I sailed on a hump balcony on the Navigator and loved it, but I am not sure whether it is worth the extra cost. Appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

OK Cruise Critics, I need some advice. I am about to pull the trigger on an 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. There is a $260 per person price difference for an 8th deck hump balcony (8332, 8338, 8634) than a forward non-hump balcony (8242) or 12th deck balcony. I sailed on a hump balcony on the Navigator and loved it, but I am not sure whether it is worth the extra cost. Appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

The hump vs non-hump on deck 8 would not be worth that cost difference to us.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Had 6636, 6638, 6640 dozens of times on

Liberty and Indy...great location, near elevators,

just above Champagne Bar, great views from

balconies. Convenient.

Also, note that the port-side aft elevators are the only ones

that go to deck 14, Diamond Lounge/Royal Crown Lounge.

Convenient.

Overall, great location on any Freedom class ship.

Don't tell anybody else though. :cool:

Do you have any picture of 6638. We got a balcony guarantee and that's what we ended up with.

Do you have any picture of 6638. We got a balcony guarantee and that's what we ended up with.

Hi, you didn't ask me, but I can tell you that the cabin itself is the same as the other non-suite cabins on that deck. It is a standard balcony cabin. We have been in that very cabin which we booked specifically. We are also in 6638 on Liberty this coming August. We have been booking those hump cabins since the Voyager class 15 years ago and we think they are the best bargain on the ship for all the previously mentioned reasons. If you got this one with a guarantee you did well. Enjoy!

We were in cabin 8338 Freedom 4-11 june.

Location was great near the lift and the extra money is for the central location.

We had a great cabin steward but we had to call maintenance 3 times in 7 days because the toilet was not flushing so this might be an issue on the hump cabins.

Hi, you didn't ask me, but I can tell you that the cabin itself is the same as the other non-suite cabins on that deck. It is a standard balcony cabin. We have been in that very cabin which we booked specifically. We are also in 6638 on Liberty this coming August. We have been booking those hump cabins since the Voyager class 15 years ago and we think they are the best bargain on the ship for all the previously mentioned reasons. If you got this one with a guarantee you did well. Enjoy!

I appreciate the response. I was more curious what it looks like from the Balcony. Can you see both fore and aft? I guess we lucked out on a guarantee room. How close is it to the elevators/stairs? Is it high traffic and will there be any noise?

I appreciate the response. I was more curious what it looks like from the Balcony. Can you see both fore and aft? I guess we lucked out on a guarantee room. How close is it to the elevators/stairs? Is it high traffic and will there be any noise?

You will have excellent views both forward and aft from the balcony of 6638. You won't hear any noise from the elevator lobby.

In the interest of giving all viewpoints here, and not trying to be a crumudgeon, I will say I do not like being by the big elevator/stairwell areas (which is where the humps are) as I do find them noisy. This is a massive congregation area and sometimes elevators are slow so people are standing around talking and, yes, sometimes yelling down the hall to "hurry up, grandma." I know a lot of folks say they never hear elevator noise so this is just my humble input. I'm never bothered by deck chairs scraping around above me but other people are. So maybe it's a frequency range thing and everyone is different.

I do know the rooms around the edges of the humps (and the ones under the protruding spas) are the last to get booked, because I always book at the last minute. My erratic work, travel and family schedule won't let me plan anything in advance. There's no way I could ever book a cruise 18 months or a year or even 6 months in advance. So I'm an expert on the leftovers.

You got one of the best balcony cabins on the ship, don't over think it, just be thankful ;).

In the interest of giving all viewpoints here, and not trying to be a crumudgeon, I will say I do not like being by the big elevator/stairwell areas (which is where the humps are) as I do find them noisy. This is a massive congregation area and sometimes elevators are slow so people are standing around talking and, yes, sometimes yelling down the hall to "hurry up, grandma." I know a lot of folks say they never hear elevator noise so this is just my humble input. I'm never bothered by deck chairs scraping around above me but other people are. So maybe it's a frequency range thing and everyone is different.

I do know the rooms around the edges of the humps (and the ones under the protruding spas) are the last to get booked, because I always book at the last minute. My erratic work, travel and family schedule won't let me plan anything in advance. There's no way I could ever book a cruise 18 months or a year or even 6 months in advance. So I'm an expert on the leftovers.

I respect your view but bar the hiccup on our last Freedom cruise with toilet not flushing 3 times in 7 nights the hump location is excellent and we have never had a noise issue with the lifts.

You will have excellent views both forward and aft from the balcony of 6638. You won't hear any noise from the elevator lobby.

Correct, as usual. The view is great since your balcony projects out a little from the ship. It also means you have a little more privacy. The cabin is far enough from the elevators that you will not hear noise. Since this is a cabins only deck there is not that much traffic.

I agree with Welove2cruisedou...however I would get 6638 only because 6640 has nothing to block the view of the inside of your cabin...we stayed in 6636,6638,&6640. 6640 the guys forgot their door was open and people walking to elevator were nosey and peeking in. We only book hump cabins since we were on Indy in 2013. We love the location close to elevators and no noise for us. We also try to get starboard side! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums