Pacific NW April weather?

Cruisin Kay D

• 4 weeks later...
Cool & rainy.

I would love to go on the Snake & Columbia River Cruise. Do you know if it is better to go from Vancouver to Clarkston to vice versa? I have heard that the ship will travel a little faster in one direction allowing more time at the ports. Please tell me the nicest time of the year to go (we can't go June, July or Aug.) and least rainy month.

Thanks so much!

Carol

I would love to go on the Snake & Columbia River Cruise. Do you know if it is better to go from Vancouver to Clarkston to vice versa? I have heard that the ship will travel a little faster in one direction allowing more time at the ports. Please tell me the nicest time of the year to go (we can't go June, July or Aug.) and least rainy month.

Thanks so much!

Carol

Logically, traveling downriver is faster...

I'd do May - long nights for seeing the passing scenery, less chance of big storms jeopardising Astoria in Spring than Fall - although September.is a bit less rainy than May on average through most of the Columbia valley. If you have a look around this site, it summarizes PNW statistical weather at many individual sites including your entire cruise route; given the vagaries of the region though, you should bring a waterproof top layer and enough other layers to handle anything from 40F and wet to 80+F and dry - one end of the cruise is basically in a desert!

Logically, traveling downriver is faster...

I'd do May - long nights for seeing the passing scenery, less chance of big storms jeopardising Astoria in Spring than Fall - although September.is a bit less rainy than May on average through most of the Columbia valley. If you have a look around this site, it summarizes PNW statistical weather at many individual sites including your entire cruise route; given the vagaries of the region though, you should bring a waterproof top layer and enough other layers to handle anything from 40F and wet to 80+F and dry - one end of the cruise is basically in a desert!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

• 2 months later...

Check out the Roll Call American Empress --titled "Some of us are going in 2017"-Columbia and Snake River -There are about 5 people posting on here and some who have previously gone , reporting.

We leave in 2 weeks May 8th,2017,The 1st of this Roll Call to embark --

Packing Bags & Reports to follow.--Cabinfever11

Cruz4Ever Sorry I didn't check our roll call before inviting you over ---So I C U are already one of the 5 or so following that Roll Call Welcome---Judy

We are going September 2018 and really looking forward to it!

Check out the Roll Call American Empress --titled "Some of us are going in 2017"-Columbia and Snake River -There are about 5 people posting on here and some who have previously gone , reporting.

We leave in 2 weeks May 8th,2017,The 1st of this Roll Call to embark --

Packing Bags & Reports to follow.--Cabinfever11

Can't wait to hear how you liked it!! We are so excited, still 6 months to go :) Please post a review on our Roll Call board if possible. Bon Voyage!!

Susan

I am currently sitting in the Davenport Hotel in Spokane awaiting the bus to take us the two or so hour drive to catch the AMERICAN EMPRESS this afternoon. It is grey outside with occasional rain showers; the high today is only in the mid 50's. It looks as if that pattern will be with us for the entire week on board. That won't stop me from having a great time as there are places aboard to sit in comfort and watch America go by, and I've come prepared with the appropriate rain gear.

I am currently sitting in the Davenport Hotel in Spokane awaiting the bus to take us the two or so hour drive to catch the AMERICAN EMPRESS this afternoon. It is grey outside with occasional rain showers; the high today is only in the mid 50's. It looks as if that pattern will be with us for the entire week on board. That won't stop me from having a great time as there are places aboard to sit in comfort and watch America go by, and I've come prepared with the appropriate rain gear.

Was there last October...enjoyed my stay at the Davenport. It was overcast and drizzly in Spokane but by the time we got to Clarkston it was clear and sunny.

We enjoyed sunny days until we got to The Dalles where it stayed rainy the rest of the cruise. Astoria was cancelled because of a storm and predicted gale force winds.

Loved the entire week...rain or shine. The damp weather didn't ruin the cruise.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise! Have a great time!

Boy, have the weather prognosticators been wrong! Today we're in Stevenson, WA. and the sun is showing as it has since Monday afternoon at Clarkston, WA. The temps have been in the mid 60s during the day, so there are no complaints from this southern transplant now. The winds have been chilly, but a warm sun keeps the chill off if sitting in a sheltered place outside. In fact my face has a right healthy looking tan right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall the weather was very good for the Pacific Northwest during April. Yes, there was rain, but sunny brisk days outnumbered the rainy ones. Both the Snake and Columbia Rivers were running fast and high, but the AMERICAN EMPRESS handled it well.

Both food and entertainment were wonderful. The menu in the main dining room was varied and the service was good. Twice during the week long trip passengers can visit the River Grill which has the same menu each evening. Thankfully, that way I could have the absolutely delicious lamb chops both evenings!

I hope to return to the EMPRESS in another couple of years, but in the summer or fall. I feel as if the vistas will be entirely different. This time with all of the recent spring rains the high desert was carpeted in green. Long time crew all commented how lush the desert was and soon the whole palette of landscape colors will change.