Splendor Returning to Miami Early

Cruise-Crazy

• 4 months later...

That was me! Sorry!

I had a heart attack on 11/11 after dinner, the amazing medics on board saved my life with 45 minutes cpr, bless them.

Once ashore in Miami I was firetrucked to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

They looked after me for 9 weeks before I flew home 1st Jan 2017.

Certainly a cruise to remember.

A

xx

That was me! Sorry!

I had a heart attack on 11/11 after dinner, the amazing medics on board saved my life with 45 minutes cpr, bless them.

A

xx

WOW nine weeks? did you have open heart surgery?

That was me! Sorry!

A

xx

Wow! Great to hear you lived!

Planing to cruise again?

Oh bless you all!

Thank you so much for all the good wishes, I just thought it might be nice to actually hear some follow-up!

I had 2 stents put in on that Sunday, and was still extremely poorly, then on the Tuesday I had an organ collapse - lungs and kidneys. Ended up being inflated (??? don't know medical term) and on dialysis! They put me in an induced coma /strong sedation for 4 weeks! (Great for weight loss! LOL!)

Finally was awoken mid December and then had to learn to speak again, which was quite fast, and walk again which took about 3 weeks to even stand up!

My insurers flew a Dr and Nurse out to accompany me (and my long suffering husband!) back to the UK on a scheduled flight. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days, and released once I could climb stairs, though I still had a zimmer!

Back home my recuperation has continued and I'm now cycling, driving and at the gym!

I've retired so no work to get back to!

A

xx

What a roller coaster this thread was. I saw the title and thought NOOOOO - The Splendor is having mechanical issues again and only 10 days until my turn. Then after reading the first post thought how terrible for the the person having the medical emergency. And then your update to let us know all is well!! I'm sure that having to go through that so far from home made for more difficulties than you were already having to deal with. Thank you so much for sharing your good news. Hope there are many more happy travels in your future <3

First I am so happy you had a great outcome... it is not very often we get follow ups (that are positive). I am sure it is also reassuring for many that the care onboard was so amazing! A question.... did you have separate trip/evacuation insurance? If so, howmhave they been for coverage (I know you said they sent a nurse to accompany you). Since travel insurance is always a popular topic, it might be a great service to the boards here if you can share any of your experience.... and again, I am sorry you had to go,through all that, but you are blessed to have come through... enjoy every day!!!

Oh bless you all!

Thank you so much for all the good wishes, I just thought it might be nice to actually hear some follow-up!

I had 2 stents put in on that Sunday, and was still extremely poorly, then on the Tuesday I had an organ collapse - lungs and kidneys. Ended up being inflated (??? don't know medical term) and on dialysis! They put me in an induced coma /strong sedation for 4 weeks! (Great for weight loss! LOL!)

Finally was awoken mid December and then had to learn to speak again, which was quite fast, and walk again which took about 3 weeks to even stand up!

My insurers flew a Dr and Nurse out to accompany me (and my long suffering husband!) back to the UK on a scheduled flight. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days, and released once I could climb stairs, though I still had a zimmer!

Back home my recuperation has continued and I'm now cycling, driving and at the gym!

I've retired so no work to get back to!

A

xx

Wow, so glad to hear you are getting back to normal. That sounds like quite an ordeal.

First I am so happy you had a great outcome... it is not very often we get follow ups (that are positive). I am sure it is also reassuring for many that the care onboard was so amazing! A question.... did you have separate trip/evacuation insurance? If so, howmhave they been for coverage (I know you said they sent a nurse to accompany you). Since travel insurance is always a popular topic, it might be a great service to the boards here if you can share any of your experience.... and again, I am sorry you had to go,through all that, but you are blessed to have come through... enjoy every day!!!

I too had a heart attack onboard the Adventure of the Seas last year May 31 while still docked in Bonaire. We had travel insurance, I am glad we did. It covered the expensive part, the jet ambulance ride to Fort Lauderdale, Broward Medical.

The insurance also covered hotel expense, co-pays.

I too had a heart attack onboard the Adventure of the Seas last year May 31 while still docked in Bonaire. We had travel insurance, I am glad we did. It covered the expensive part, the jet ambulance ride to Fort Lauderdale, Broward Medical.

The insurance also covered hotel expense, co-pays.

So glad you are ok too! Did u have Insurance through the cruise line or shopped separately? I am a HUGE proponent of trip insurance but I have family that are not!!

South Coast Girl,

Thank you for your posts. I too have heart issues and talked my DH into a b2b on the Splendor beginning May7th. His is so afraid that something could happen and we would be out to sea or somewhere where I could not get the attention needed. I tell him that this could happen to someone just walking down the street so what will be will be. However, I am glad that the medical staff aboard the Splendor is so knowledgeable and equipped to handle heart issues. I can relax just a bit more having read your comments.

So glad you are ok too! Did u have Insurance through the cruise line or shopped separately? I am a HUGE proponent of trip insurance but I have family that are not!!

We were on a b2b on the Adventure in week 2. The second week of the b2b was booked through United Cruises for the extra United miles. I went ahead and purchased the insurance they offered. It turns out that this insurance is only offered through travel agents. It was Berkley Care. It also happens that the third party administrator of this plan is also the administrator of the plan purchased through Royal Caribbean. This administrator is On Call. They were very helpful in processing claims and securing the jet ambulance.

What everyone needs to remember when cruising the Caribbean.....you are visiting mostly 3rd world countries with no hospitals with truama centers that can treat heart attacks. The travel insurance is very good to purchase.

You could also be in a remote area of the U.S. with the same problem too.

=fyree39;52842802]So, did you find that insurance purchased through the TA was helpful? I've started purchasing insurance, but never really know if it's a good value.

The insurance we purchase through United Cruises was good. The jet ambulance was a $25,000 price tag. Keep that in mind when purchasing travel insurance for medical evacuation.