Credit Card and Room Safe

Where do you hide your credit card to open your safe? In talking with friends we all leave our safe opening card in our underware drawer so our spouse can gain access if we aren't together. If we are all using the same hiding spot it doesn't seem very secure!! Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Where do you hide your credit card to open your safe? In talking with friends we all leave our safe opening card in our underware drawer so our spouse can gain access if we aren't together. If we are all using the same hiding spot it doesn't seem very secure!! Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I use a number code to open hotel safes and hide the credit card inside the safe.

Can you use your s&s card? It has a magnetic strip. Just a thought that way you don't have to worry about people searching in all the hiding spots mention hear.

I don't know if it would work with multiple cards. They should have the same coding to unlock the cabin door. Might need to try it out.

Can you use your s&s card? It has a magnetic strip. Just a thought that way you don't have to worry about people searching in all the hiding spots mention hear.

I don't know if it would work with multiple cards. They should have the same coding to unlock the cabin door. Might need to try it out.

They say not to as it can demagnetize your card then you have to take a trip to GS when you can't get back into your cabin. Use an old gift card.

Can you use your s&s card? It has a magnetic strip. Just a thought that way you don't have to worry about people searching in all the hiding spots mention hear. ��

Since each card is unique it would only work with the one used to lock it. This means that the access could not be shared among several people. You could use a credit card but that leaves you with the problem of having to leave the card unsecured in the room and no matter how hidden the bottom of the underwear drawer sounds, I'm sure it would be on the short list of places to look if someone was indeed looking. Hotel safes that use credit cards have also been a target of thieves with skimmers to collect credit card data. A gift card or old hotel card would work also but you still need to conceal it somewhere in the room if you are sharing access with others and it's unlikely that you will find a spot that hasn't been considered by a potential thief.

They say not to as it can demagnetize your card then you have to take a trip to GS when you can't get back into your cabin. Use an old gift card.

If it can demagnetize an S&S card it can demagnetize other cards as well. I see no reason not to use my S&S card and since I always have it on me when out of the room I don't have to worry about finding a hiding place for it.

Since each card is unique it would only work with the one used to lock it. This means that the access could not be shared among several people. You could use a credit card but that leaves you with the problem of having to leave the card unsecured in the room and no matter how hidden the bottom of the underwear drawer sounds, I'm sure it would be on the short list of places to look if someone was indeed looking. Hotel safes that use credit cards have also been a target of thieves with skimmers to collect credit card data. A gift card or old hotel card would work also but you still need to conceal it somewhere in the room if you are sharing access with others and it's unlikely that you will find a spot that hasn't been considered by a potential thief.

Or just punch a hole in it and put it on your lanyard or keep it in your wallet. The only people that are going to be in your cabin are the room stewards and they don't have near enough time to be rummaging through everyone's skivvies looking for a card to empty the safe. BTW the keypad ones aren't immune from unauthorized entry either from previous posts on this subject.

If it can demagnetize an S&S card it can demagnetize other cards as well. I see no reason not to use my S&S card and since I always have it on me when out of the room I don't have to worry about finding a hiding place for it.

I had exactly this happen with an old gift card. Better that then my S&S card. Punch a hole in it and put it on your lanyard or keep it wherever you keep your S&S card. They tell you not to use your S&S card, but do whatever you want.

I had exactly this happen with an old gift card. Better that then my S&S card. Punch a hole in it and put it on your lanyard or keep it wherever you keep your S&S card. They tell you not to use your S&S card, but do whatever you want.

Don't know who "they" are, but "they" have never told me that. :)

Or just punch a hole in it and put it on your lanyard or keep it in your wallet.

Sure, but the OP indicated a desire to share access with others in the room. If you are carrying the key that limits the ability of others to use the safe freely.

Don't know who "they" are, but "they" have never told me that. :)

I can't remember if I saw it somewhere either on a card that was by the safe or maybe the room steward told me one time. I can't remember. It was news to us as well as we had used or S&S card the first time.

I had to have Head of Housekeeping open my safe 3 times. Once when I got onboard and the previous occupants left it locked, once when my gift card crapped out, and once when the safe simply wouldn't work. Each time they asked to see my gift card/credit card I used and reiterated that I shouldn't use my S&S card. So I guess "they" could be a bunch of different people [emoji4].

We ALWAYS use our sail and sign card, NEVER a credit card and NEVER have had a problem 27 cruises so far lol!. You have to use one card though. We usually use my husbands, as he keeps this on him at all times (sometimes I don't take mine when we leave the room - like when dressing for dinner, etc), so no need to "hide" anything.

If the safe requires a magnetic strip, I usually use my AARP or AAA card, whichever one is not being used in the electricity slot for the room, if the cabin has that feature as well.

As far as sharing that with others in the cabin, well, less said about hiding places the better.

Sure, but the OP indicated a desire to share access with others in the room. If you are carrying the key that limits the ability of others to use the safe freely.

Well since I'm in charge of all things cruising, that makes me the Keymaster [emoji39]. If they need to get into the safe then I will gladly surrender the GC if it's around my neck.

As far as hiding places, don't be afraid to get creative. But really, I feel safe with leaving it in the "standard" places. I like to keep it with my S&S card not so much because I'm afraid someone will access my safe, but because sometime I forget where I put it. LOL!

WOW!!! This is news to me and the dumbest thing or close to it I've ever heard. RCI has push buttons for you to set a code. Hopefully Carnival can get these by the time we sail in Nov 18. I'm no fan of using a credit card or another card you have to hide somewhere.