bad Empress experience Ap 6-10, 2017

A friend was on this cruise out of Miami and said it was AWLFUL...... any one else on it? First of all a storm caused high waves -- NOT the ship's fault

.......she said the food was not good (said she heard others on the cruise say how much better Carnival's food was)..... eggs cold several mornings in the buffet...... smelled bad on lower decks -- they had an ocean view even though I HIGHLY suggested she get a balcony for fresh air......

This was her first experience with Royal Cb. Said others on the ship said it was 'not normal' for it to be this bad.

Curious if anyone else had a better experience on that sailing?

they had an ocean view even though I HIGHLY suggested she get a balcony for fresh air......

You might want to check out a ship before you make recommendations. Empress doesn't have regular balcony rooms... :rolleyes:

A friend was on this cruise out of Miami and said it was AWLFUL...... any one else on it? First of all a storm caused high waves -- NOT the ship's fault

.......she said the food was not good (said she heard others on the cruise say how much better Carnival's food was)..... eggs cold several mornings in the buffet...... smelled bad on lower decks -- they had an ocean view even though I HIGHLY suggested she get a balcony for fresh air......

This was her first experience with Royal Cb. Said others on the ship said it was 'not normal' for it to be this bad.

I'm surprised to read this.. We got off of this ship on 4/2 and despite reading not-so-great reviews before we sailed, we had a wonderful time.

This is a typical try to get people riled up post w/o first hand experiences no less. Maybe you can counsel your friend to contact RCCL to express their experience.

Empress is like sailing on a ship from yesteryear. Small, and quaint. It's nothing like the big ships. Plus it only has a very limited amount of balconies, and they are suites only. With that being said, it looks more like the expectations did not match with the reality of the ship and her size. I'm going on it next cruise coming up soon, and after sailing on all the large ships, I'm looking forward to this trip, and a tiny ship, etc.

Glad to hear the positives as I've never heard a negative of this ship before -- thanks for your posts -- I think it was a shock to her system from other cruise line larger ships she's been on.... whew... I like Royal Cb but have not been on this ship.:D

I was on Empress with my family on 3/23-3/27. We were caught in a storm the first night, but that is not the ships fault more would I give the ship a bad review because of it. Anytime between January and April can have bad weather off the Florida coast or Caribbean due to winds. Other than the bad weather the first night, we had an amazing time and food was great. I didn't experience the stench the I have seen people complain about, maybe people didn't back up the sanitary system while I was on board, we were the lucky sailing, I guess. Food was good, not bad but it 5 star restaurant but what do really expect from a cruise. Overall our experience was great and but not everyone is the same. You will always have that one person that will compare every situation to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on Empress with my family on 3/23-3/27. We were caught in a storm the first night, but that is not the ships fault more would I give the ship a bad review because of it. Anytime between January and April can have bad weather off the Florida coast or Caribbean due to winds. Other than the bad weather the first night, we had an amazing time and food was great. I didn't experience the stench the I have seen people complain about, maybe people didn't back up the sanitary system while I was on board, we were the lucky sailing, I guess. Food was good, not bad but it 5 star restaurant but what do really expect from a cruise. Overall our experience was great and but not everyone is the same. You will always have that one person that will compare every situation to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So true.. When we were going, there was one poster that said "Good luck" to me.. he knows who is is...but I must say...My husband and I had a fabulous time and we enjoyed every minute of our "little ship" cruise. There will always be the "cruise snobs" that think that they know everything about everything, but the trip is what you make it. ;)

I got off the Empress yesterday from the same sailing, and experienced none of what your friend described (including the storm).

It was my third cruise on the Empress since last November and I've never had anything but a great experience. I'll be on her again on 4/24, and I'm looking forward to it!

The Cruise Director refers to Empress as the Smallest Ship with the Biggest Heart - and I absolutely agree!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

If the food is better on Carnival, please sail on Carnival. The fewer people who sail on Royal means lower prices for the rest of us.

If the food is so bad, when was the last time you read about some one starving to death?

Why does the average cruiser gain 7 pounds per cruise?

I did my first solo cruise on Empress in Sept when hubby went to see his mom. LOVED IT! Staff was fantastic, thought the shows were even better than Enchantment. Yes, tiny ship, but I thought they did an amazing job with a ship so small. My OV was small, but it was just me, so I did not care.

Keep telling hubby if we could grab one that did not go to Cuba we would go just so he could see it. I would do Empress for a short cruise any day of the week!

We were on the Empress in October, it was wonderful! Was it chock full of fancy amenities - no, but we knew that and didn't really want all that. Food was 4/5, service 5/5, entertainment 5/5 too! I think it has a few balconies, but not many - but plenty of outdoor space. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again, esp for a no frills price like we had in October.

My friend was on an Empress B2B in January, with his wife. While he thought the ship was "ok", and "showing a little wear", he thought the food and crew were great! However, he did say that the entertainment was "meh", and that he wouldn't be taking his kids on this ship, because there wouldn't be enough for them to do.

My friend was on an Empress B2B in January, with his wife. While he thought the ship was "ok", and "showing a little wear", he thought the food and crew were great! However, he did say that the entertainment was "meh", and that he wouldn't be taking his kids on this ship, because there wouldn't be enough for them to do.

Before people sail with children they should make sure what facilities and activities a ship has that would be enjoyable for their children. Empress is NOT like her larger sister ships, full of things for children to be occupied by.

PMCK-

Can you share with us a little about your Cruise recently on Empress? We sail out to Cuba/Costa Maya early next week, and we're all getting very excited. So happy it's not one of the cruises with 4,000 plus guests!!!! Where was your Stateroom, etc???

Totally agree..It was perfect for my husband and I too!!